Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,124 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Daily Beast

When 'gluten-free' Is Dangerous
Daily Beast
Annakeara Stinson, 25, says a doctor suggested she cut out gluten after she started experiencing gastrointestinal problems. She was never tested her for celiac disease, the autoimmune disorder gluten-free eating is meant to treat. Stinson immediately ...
Gluten Free Grand Valley support group forms to help those with celiac disease Grand Junction Free Press
What's A Disability? Some Push For The Lines To Be Redrawn Forbes
Gluten-Free Labeling in the United States Huffington Post (blog)
Patch.com
all 12 news articles »

View the full article

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

The Daily Beast article is awful, and tries to portray gluten intolerance as a variation on an eating disorder, but most of the comments are funny and righteously indignant.

Oh, Rachel Krantz is an "editor" at Newsweek & the Daily Beast now, is she ? Earlier this year she wrote for Jezebel "Check out my article on what OCD has taught me about love (and my sex life)" on her twitter feed.

http://jezebel.com/5...king-about-bugs

I'd had OCD impulses my whole life, but this seemingly small event pushed me into full-blown disorder. Months after the lice were gone I was still convinced I was infested. I'd spray my bed with toxic chemicals more likely to give me cancer than kill bugs. I woke up with headaches from the fumes, but I couldn't stop myself. I wore a pillowcase on my head when I slept. I felt that if I could just keep my hair from touching the bed, then at least there would be one clean place in my life left. I stopped hugging friends and family closely, afraid of infesting their hair.

Rachel, Rachel, Rachel, nobody is going to take your wheat away, but if you keep writing about bona fide medically diagnosed physical illnesses like this, the quality of mercy is going to get strained.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: