Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Son Will Be Tested After He Is Back On The Gluten

7 posts in this topic

I took my son to the doctor today and he said he would run a full celiac panel on him. First I have to get more gluten into his diet. I have been gluten free for two years, so most everything in the house is gluten free. He does eat gluten at school and at other peoples houses. The dr told me to feed him alot more gluten for the next five weeks so the test results can be accurate. How much should he be eating? Bread everyday? Any input would be great, my celiac test was negative, but I was already wheat free because of a wheat allergy. Thanks for any info..

Ads by Google:

This is your 12-year-old, right? If memory serves, this is the age where they start eating quite a lot, so I would give him the equivalent of a couple of slices of bread a day. And then he gets some at school and other places so that should be plenty.

I agree with Neroli. :) Good luck to him; I hope his gluten trial goes smoothly!

Yes, it is my 12 year old. Thanks for the info. If he tests positive maybe my other family members will finally get tested. My mom is hypothyroid and has fibromyalgia. My sister is hypothyroid and unexplained infertility. My brother has epilepsy (has seizures even with all the medication) Not to mention all the little complaints I hear from all of them.

My brother has epilepsy (has seizures even with all the medication)

My brother was also diagnosed with epilepsy, in his 40's. Not grand mal, not petit mal, just generic epilepsy. Like your brother, for him medication made no difference and the mini seizures continued. We eventually lost him to complications of one of his seizures :( I am convinced it was gluten - we are a gluten family, and he had other symptoms.

My brother was also diagnosed with epilepsy, in his 40's. Not grand mal, not petit mal, just generic epilepsy. Like your brother, for him medication made no difference and the mini seizures continued. We eventually lost him to complications of one of his seizures :( I am convinced it was gluten - we are a gluten family, and he had other symptoms.

That scares me! I don't know what kind of epilepsy he has, but I asked him to try gluten free for a month to see if they continued. I offered to make all his meals even. He made it about two days and said it was just to hard and quit...Frustrating!!!

Convince him to get tested. Getting rid of seizures would be worth the hardship, surely. We didn't know about our familial affliction when my brother was having his seizures.