1 reply to this topic

#1 griff_31

griff_31

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Am really confused about the extent of this. I live with a non Celiac, we share the same washing up water, washing up cloths, drying cloths etc. Is it possible that cross conatamination occurs this way?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

I wash my clothes with my gluten eating husband's clothes and have no problem. I would think twice about this if he worked on any sort of farm, or around any type of flour (I'm super paranoid) but I have seen others who say that with issues such as these or with extreme sensitivities and outdoor animals they simply shed their work clothes in the mud room.

When you say washing up water, do you mean for your dishes? Yes, that could be a problem. The biggest part of this being, so much more than that, using the same rag or sponge. If you've just put a plate covered in bread crumbs or something similar in the dishwater, then put in a gluten free cutting board, it stands to reason that the cutting board could be irrevocably contaminated. On the other hand, if you simply wash up the things like the gluten free utensils and cutting boards and whatever is subject to that sort of permanent contamination first, you could then reasonably carry on as long as you are washing and rinsing well.

Cross contamination is very serious and is one of the biggest threats to our health. This link http://celiacdisease...scontaminat.htm can be found in the newbie thread with a lot of other useful information. http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/ It may be helpful to take the time to check out both, but especially the first as it pertains particularly to cross contamination.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: