This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newbie - Could I Be Celiac?

adogg

adogg Newbie

Hello all,

Im a 28 year old male (80 kgs approx) used to be fit and eat normally. (non-smoker and light drinker) (about 3 years ago I stopped exercising due to low/no motivation and tiredness)

Ive been having weird symptoms for the past 8 years (approx) these include, tiredness/fatigue, low mood/depression, low motivation, some stomach cramping and bloating most of all chronic heartburn and recently lots of burping. I also have some light acne, dry skin on knuckles and elbows, sometimes feel constipated and get the odd bleeding haemorrhoid.

Doctors have always put it down to stress at work and not eating right (im a field engineer, so most of the time im eating out and not at the correct times.)

I have had blood tests done to check iron, vitamin, etc levels and they all came back satisfactory. I've had a breath test for helicobacter and it came back negative. I have been on omeprazole for the last year or so (cleared the heartburn, but not the other symptoms) then I ran out and had to talk to the doctor again. After asking (suggesting) her could this be a food allergy/intorallance, I have now had a blood test done (should have the results next week) and been referred for an endoscopy (2 month waiting list). To be honest our local GP's are very good at misdiagnosing, both my parents have bee misdiagnosed for various things including diabetes and ive heard other stories about misdiagnosis of cancer from neighbours. So In the meantime I did a biocard test (I didn't quite get the full about of blood into the vial) and it came back negative. Also I haven't stopped consuming gluten just yet.

Just wanted to see you thoughts.

Alan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

Yes, you could have celiac disease. There are more than 200 symptoms associated with celiac disease, and you've named a number of them. In case you aren't already aware, it's vital to continue consuming gluten until after your blood tests and endoscopy. Good luck to you, hope you're on the road to better health and quality of life!

mamaw Community Regular

keep eating gluten for your testing. Also if it would come baack negative for celiac, remember that gluten sensitivity could be your issue. No testing for that except the elimination diet for at least three months.....

I would also request a thyroid blood test:::: TSH, FT-3' FT-4 'total T-3, lus calicum, mma, ferritin, iron panel, A1C, glucose

adogg Newbie

Thanks for the replies. My plan is to see what results I get from this test and if negative I have the option of going private with my works medical insurance for a full diagnosis. No harm but NHS is chronic slow. Alan

adogg Newbie

Hey guys. tried another BioCard test today. This time getting a good blood sample. I got a very faint line on the test section. So going buy the instructions (any hint of a line is a positive) it looks like I could have celiac disease. Alan

Hi Alan,

Even though you might feel like it's a bummer that the initial results came back positive for celiac, remember that it's not necessarily a bummer. It could be an answer vs. a problem.

You can control the disease by what you stick in your mouth, that's a good thing!

Two months is a long time to wait for the endoscopy, but you've already endured 3 years of agony. 2 months isn't that long in comparison, right?

It would be good to get your folks tested too. That gene came from someone on the family tree. In the meantime, I hope you're packing protein snacks to get you through the day, like nuts or sunflower seeds. Over the point of being redundant, keep consuming gluten.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Might be worth phoning and seeing if you can get in on a cancellation? I saved a couple of weeks that way on the nhs

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

adogg Newbie

Hi guys. My results came back negative my TTG IGA is 0.4 U/ml. They say they only test my EMA levels if my TTG level is above 4. I have now got an appointment through my private health insurance to see a GI consultant tomorrow evening. Keep you informed. Alan

Do let us know, be interested to know if your private experience is helpful. Good luck :)

Alan, my best doctor who I love to bitts readily states that we all know the blood tests are unreliable at best. I wish you the best in good health.

adogg Newbie

Hello all, Update: I got to see a GI consultant last week and had an endoscopy today. Dont know what i was worried about, got the throat spray and all went well. Just waiting on the biospy results. Their initial diagnosis is that have a weak lower esophageal sphincter (LES) and a slow emptying Gastric/Stomach. So just waiting on bioscopy results. Alan

Great to get it out of the way. Good luck with the results. If negative, have a think about whether it could be non celiac gluten intolerance NGCI. There are a bunch of us around :)

guest134 Apprentice

Just so you know if you were on omeprazole even 3 weeks before the H. Pylori test it will more than likely give a false negative (unless you are lucky).

adogg Newbie

Just so you know if you were on omeprazole even 3 weeks before the H. Pylori test it will more than likely give a false negative (unless you are lucky).

Even from a Bioscopy? Alan

• 3 weeks later...
adogg Newbie

Hello all.

Sorry for the late update.

My bioscopys came back negative so im not Celiac, however they did find a problem with my lower esophageal sphincter being weak causing Acid Reflux.

Basically they have told be all my other problems are down to lifestyle and work.

When i mentioned NCGI they looked at me as if i had 3 heads (so looks like they've never heard about it).

So im now trying to eat healthier and get more sleep. Ive also started taking St. John's Wort to try and give me a kick of motivation.

As for exercise, Im off to a spa in April with the fiance to be (Gonna pop the question there) and hopefully ill get to kick start myself at there gym.

Failing all this if I don't feel any better in a 6 months ill try going gluten free.

Many thanks for all the advice. 

Alan

Archived