Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Food Nutritionist Or Naturopathic Doctor In Western Or?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 chexpaints

chexpaints

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

I'm looking for a doctor who specializes in food allergies. Gluten intolerance runs in my family along with many other food intolerances. My daughter also has mild autism and we're looking for someone to guide us in her nutritional needs. I've been seeing a naturopathic doctor, but he's expensive and requires me to pay for another doctor's visit to get any test results. Is that normal for naturopaths?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

I'm looking for a doctor who specializes in food allergies. Gluten intolerance runs in my family along with many other food intolerances. My daughter also has mild autism and we're looking for someone to guide us in her nutritional needs. I've been seeing a naturopathic doctor, but he's expensive and requires me to pay for another doctor's visit to get any test results. Is that normal for naturopaths?

What city are you close to? I'm in the central Willamette Valley, I like my doctor at Samaritan Heartspring. Their specialty is "integrative medicine", they bring the best of both medical worlds together. They are expensive too, but if you have insurance all the major carriers pay them.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

I had one charge for it when all I was doing was picking them up to take to a gi. Forced me into an appointment. I don't see her anymore.

I always ask to get the lab sheet, run labs, then get results at next visit for my thyroid...so I get the lab sheet at the Dec. visit for May's test. Make sense?

If its any consolation MD's pull the same crap.

I'd try integrative first.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Yes, and it works the other way round too.  I just had to pay a general surgeon $95 to drive an hour to her office so that she could confirm that, yep, that's a mole and it should be removed (after my gp had referred me for its removal), and then drive an hour home and drive back in three days later so she could charge me $250 to remove it (it took all of 15 minutes total).  Cost me $95 plus $20 additional for gas or an extra $115 for that sucker. :ph34r: And they wonder why the cost of living is so high and people drive so much :rolleyes:

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009