Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Coconut Oil

9 posts in this topic

Is refined coconut oil the same as just plain 'coconut oil'?

Ads by Google:

Well, I really don't know. I would expect that they would have to do something to it to claim it as refined :D But what that something is I couldn't guess.

I guess the answer is no.

My brain frog cleared enough to do some reading about it. I saw some in a local market and it was cheaper but not by a lot so I questioned it. I'll stay away from it, refining it turns it from a good oil to a bad oil. :)

I would go with a really good quality coconut oil. It should have a very slight pleasent aroma and taste of coconut and be snow white. I personally like Nutvia brand. I can eat it straight from the jar! :wub:

Refined means it has been heated. The raw coconut oil is supposed to be the most natural and nutritious. When you say regular coconut oil I think it would be refined.

I would go with a really good quality coconut oil. It should have a very slight pleasent aroma and taste of coconut and be snow white. I personally like Nutvia brand. I can eat it straight from the jar! :wub:

YES! I just bought a jar of Nutvia today, and confess that I thought about this thread!

I saw the Nutvia yesterday, it was $16.99 a jar. My budget can't handle that right now. :(

Thanks for that link IH. I will look around for the Spectrum brand.