9 replies to this topic

#1 gluten-is-kryptonite

gluten-is-kryptonite

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:37 AM

When I have too much salt (which isn't that much) as in over 300mg I get a foggy head, sleepy, no energy, bad mood, can't focus. I have no idea why this is happening? Do any other celiacs experience this? I am wondering if it's possible to have a sodium allergy? Or maybe somehow celiac affects the processing of salt. Really no idea and looking for some insight here.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Hey

I also have trouble with too much salt. It affects my sinuses, therefore causing pressure in my head, brain fog, dizziness, my ear feels like it's full of fluid. No fun.
A couple years ago I was sure I was having trouble with my inner ear, went through a million tests, but all came back normal. So I looked at my diet. Salt and dairy can affect sinus pressure, so I cut back on salt and cut out dairy and have been doing much much better. If I get into anything too salty I definitely get the dizzies.

I don't know if it's connected to Celiac, and don't think it's an allergy. I think some of us are just sensitive to too much sodium. To be safe, talk to your doctor and get your blood pressure and all that heart stuff checked out too. Salt can affect that as well.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with better advice.

In the meantime, cut back on salt as much as possible. (Don't cut it out entirely. That can cause problems too). I don't eat anything too salty (even over 200mg is pushing it sometimes), don't add extra salt to cooking, etc.

good luck!

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Its probably iodine if you're using the general everyday salt. I've seen other posters on here with iodine issues, they might chime in on this.

However, you cannot completely cut it out because the human body requires it (to maintian blood is one of its uses i believe).

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

AFAIK I have no salt issues but I have been eating Real Salt for years. I do keep some cheap salt for use in cleaning or if I need to gargle with hot salt water.

My friend is very salt/sodium sensetive and her feet and ankles will swell if she eats bacon.

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:47 AM

One thing that you can try to figure this out is different kinds of salt. If you react differently to different kinds, it might be some other component. Pure salt is NaCl, which your body needs to function, but there are other things in most salt that you buy. There can be things added to prevent caking, iodine as mentioned above, and other minerals can be present in mined salt. Sea salt could have traces of whatever was in the sea.

In my case, I thought I reacted to various salts, and then I found one that didn't seem to give me that reaction.

#6 gluten-is-kryptonite

gluten-is-kryptonite

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hi everyone

Thanks for the replies. Part of how I discovered this is from eating chips. Yes my guilty pelasure is eating chips! and a lot of them. I only was eating ones that I know are gluten free like Kettle brand. I am not sure which kind of salt those use. I should really look into this. Sports drinks cause the same effect as well. How would I go about figuring out which salt is in there when the ingredient just says sea salt?

#7 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Better idea, make your own chips. I've heard this item works well to make them:

http://www.bedbathan...sp?SKU=18545292

That way you can control what types of salt you use while still having your chips :)

#8 foam

foam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

For me some brands of chip are ok some not. I'm not sure I should be blaming the salt or the different oil each company may use. There's only three ingredients in chips! :) surely it can't be that hard to figure out but it is. Some give me gut pain some don't.

#9 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

I found I needed to read the labels on salt carefully. I am okay with sea salt and no caking agents. One company used corn to get their anti-caking agent and my body didn't tolerate that.

Beet chips (Or potato, or sweet potato.) I have made leafy vegetable chips like this also.
1/4 cup oil
4 servings of beet or veggie slices potato
1 pinch salt

Mix. Place in oven at 275. Turn them over every 15 minutes. Mine take around 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.

They taste like chips But they are not stale!

#10 janpell

janpell

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

Funny because some chips set me off too? Then it gets me thinking it's potatoes but I can make my own and be okay. Hmmm, wonder what else is added to the chips? Oh, and the Kettle brand is my worst offender.
Am totally trying those beet chips as I have a bag of beets sitting on my counter as I type.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: