Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten Sensitivity Question

2 posts in this topic

For those who are gluten sensitive and not confirmed celiacs I have a question for you. Do you strictly buy foods that are certified gluten free? Or can I get away with things that I know that should be gluten free but does not say it on the package? For example, baking soda, cornstarch and baking powder are some of my concerns. Do I need specifically gluten free cornstarch? I know to buy gluten free certified rolled oats because of the possible cross contamination. Speaking of cross contamination, do you take extra measures at home to avoid cross contamination? Such as dedicated toaster, dishes, sponges, etc? Separate butter containers? I'm only gluten sensitive and I don't know how sensitive I really am and if I need to take those extreme measures. Sorry, I'm just worried I could be sabotaging myself but finances plays a part in this and I don't know if I can afford everything to avoid every molecule of gluten.

Ads by Google:

I was never tested so don't know which I am. I operate on the assumption I am celiac, but I don't think I would behave any differently if I were "merely" gluten intolerant, since we don't know definitively yet if the gluten intolerants are actually damaging themselves with gluten. That being said, I do not go to the lengths that the super sensitives do because I am not super sensitive. I will buy things that are not in the gluten free section if it is pretty obvious that there is no gluten in them. I will buy things that are made in shared facilities and on shared lines, unless I react to them. I do buy glutlen free cornstarch and baking powder. Ido not have to take extra measures at home because I have a gluten free household.