1 reply to this topic

#1 prizm99

prizm99

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

For those who are gluten sensitive and not confirmed celiacs I have a question for you. Do you strictly buy foods that are certified gluten free? Or can I get away with things that I know that should be gluten free but does not say it on the package? For example, baking soda, cornstarch and baking powder are some of my concerns. Do I need specifically gluten free cornstarch? I know to buy gluten free certified rolled oats because of the possible cross contamination. Speaking of cross contamination, do you take extra measures at home to avoid cross contamination? Such as dedicated toaster, dishes, sponges, etc? Separate butter containers? I'm only gluten sensitive and I don't know how sensitive I really am and if I need to take those extreme measures. Sorry, I'm just worried I could be sabotaging myself but finances plays a part in this and I don't know if I can afford everything to avoid every molecule of gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

I was never tested so don't know which I am. I operate on the assumption I am celiac, but I don't think I would behave any differently if I were "merely" gluten intolerant, since we don't know definitively yet if the gluten intolerants are actually damaging themselves with gluten. That being said, I do not go to the lengths that the super sensitives do because I am not super sensitive. I will buy things that are not in the gluten free section if it is pretty obvious that there is no gluten in them. I will buy things that are made in shared facilities and on shared lines, unless I react to them. I do buy glutlen free cornstarch and baking powder. Ido not have to take extra measures at home because I have a gluten free household.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009