3 replies to this topic

#1 jlormberget

jlormberget

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Pre-Celiac I usually only baked on holidays, but lately I've been wanting to give it a try. I went to the store and bought some all purpose gluten-free Flour (Bob's Red Mill) and some Xanthan Gum. Can I just sub these items in for regular All purpose flour on other recipes? I've seen some of the discussions on here about a mix of flours, but this one looks like it's already a mix (Garbanzo bean flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, white sorghum flour, and fava bean flour). There's actually a recommendation on the side of the package (1:1 flour + varying amounts of xanthan gum depending on what you're baking). I'm just scared to try something and have it be a giant waste.

Can someone point me to some tried and true recipes that don't require any other specialty ingrediants (flaxseed, multiple types of flours, special starchs, tapioca, etc)? I don't want to run thither and yon to find a bunch of unusual ingredients. I'd like to start out with what is just in my pantry.

Thanks! I appreciate any and all help.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Make a little bun in a cup in the microwave, that way, if you are a person who can taste bean flour, you will not be looking at an entire loaf of bread- work, and regretting it. Also, putting a pinch of cumin, a pinch of a sweet spice, and a little vinegar helps with the bean taste if you are a "bean-taste reactor." If the all -purpose mix succeeds, then progress to a full sized recipe.

thread with bun in cup links
http://www.celiac.co...d-still-coping/

Just use the Bob's AP for the flour in the recipe. No gum, the egg binds it enough.

If that works, I would suggest a basic chocolate cake recipe in an 8" by 8" pan, subbing the Bob's AP and gum or egg for the regular flour. Cake is easier than bread. Wacky cake: - http://www.food.com/...acky-cake-18025

edit to add, use gluten free vinegar, preferably pure apple cider vinegar

#3 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

I'm a huge fan of Better Batter flour. You can google tons of Glutenfree on a Shoe String recipes... she uses BB exclusively. I've done the mixing of flours and it's a PITA (pain in the a$$). BB flour is cup for cup but I use GFSS's recipes. They're good!! I didn't bake much for years, but have been enjoying it lately!!
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#4 june27

june27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

i just ventured into gluten-free baking last year as well, and i also started with bob's gluten-free flour.

my first recipe was my tried and true double chocolate zucchini bread:
http://www.cooks.com...-252206,00.html
I used the bob's flour as a direct replacement, and the xantham gum as they recommend on the package. i am also not eating dairy, so i sub'ed almond milk and enjoy life choc chips. it was a big hit!

good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: