Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Does Anyone Else Experience This?

22 posts in this topic

Over the weekend I touched bread and then touched my neck. I broke out in hives. I have never broke out in hives from touching gluten. Not too long after that I started feeling sick. I fainted several hours later. I know hives is normal but does fainting happen if you come in contact with gluten? Has anyone else had this happen to them.

Ads by Google:

Not me. . . sorry can't help you. That would be horrible!

Sounds like you've developed an allergy to it.

The fainting, however, is probably unrelated. Do you have issues with blood pressure? Low blood sugar?

Are you sure they were hives? Did they show up immediately or fairly soon after? It definitely sounds like an allergy, but I've had problems where i touch gluten and get a dry itch rash ~2 hours later. ick. I really hope you figure it out!

It was immediately. I've been able to touch gluten products and not break out, as long as I wash my hands right after. Now it's gotten to the point that all I have to do is come in contact with it and a rash or hives develops. It use to be just being sick after consuming it. I found out I have low blood pressure. My blood sugar levels are normal.

I got sick from smelling a woman's perfume once. She must have used a whole bottle of the stuff.

OK, so if it is an allergy, you can get tested by an allergist.

Pretty sure I saw that neck swelling thing on Vampire Diaries once...

I am 100% off of gluten. I have made sure that I don't have any contact at all if I can help it. I still break out in these rashes. I don't know what could be causing it. The doctor says it's allergies. I am off gluten, chocolate, and anything with dyes or colors. It doesn't seem possible to live without breaking out in a rash. Sometimes I just wished I lived in a bubble. Does anyone else feel like that?

I am 100% off of gluten. I have made sure that I don't have any contact at all if I can help it. I still break out in these rashes. I don't know what could be causing it. The doctor says it's allergies. I am off gluten, chocolate, and anything with dyes or colors. It doesn't seem possible to live without breaking out in a rash. Sometimes I just wished I lived in a bubble. Does anyone else feel like that?

Raising hands & jumping up & down here! Me, me, me, me, me --- where's my bubble? :lol:

Hi Rebecca,

There is a rash associated with celiac disease called dermatitis herpetiformis (DH). There is section of the forum for DH with more info. So, yes, some people do get a rash from gluten.

Raising hands & jumping up & down here! Me, me, me, me, me --- where's my bubble? :lol:

Me too!! I definitely need a bubble!!

Been tested, and mine is gluten related! I've had to cut back on body washes and hair care products. I'm still learning...

Yes! I do! Sometimes I wonder how on earth I can continue to live the rest of my life going through this kind of hell! They can send probes to Mars but they can't figure out how to cure an unbearably itchy, burning, prickling rash! What's THAT all about?! :-/

SoyJoy and Itch Be Gone, have you read the Dermatitis Herpetiformis thread through, and restricted your intake of Iodine? Many DH sufferers find that iodine really aggravates their rash.

An immediate rash from touching gluten sounds more like an allergy than DH. I can touch gluten without a rash. I do gave itchy/swelling reactions to some topical items that may/may not contain gluten ....

So I have allergies to some things, but the rash I get is from eating gluten (unless I play in desert plants, but that's a different rash).

You can have both celiac/DH and a wheat allergy. You may need to start on an oral allergy med to feel "safe" in places like grocery stores, etc. and you need to see an allergist.

I sort of gave the wrong impression in my statement. Yes, I feel like living in a bubble but not b/c touching gluten affects me. It's because I've been having such a rough time with a dh flare & my skin is torn up from it. I feel like living in a bubble of perfect temp., moisture, & whatever it takes to not aggravate the dh.

If you live in a bubble I get to poke you with a stick! Right ? Please, please.. :D

Awright gluten-free you can poke my bubble with a stick. Just beware of what you pop. It may explode all over you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks everyone. What is iodine? I'm planning on talking to my doctor. It doesn't matter how much I shower or wash my face. My face, my neck, and my chest is always broke out in a rash. The last doctor I saw told me "you have an allergy"

Gluten fires up dh rashes; iodine fans the flames.

For a low iodine diet see:

http://www.thyca.org/rai.htm#diet

Of course you have to cut the gluten out of the low iodine diet.

That leaves a lot of food I can't eat. Can my doctor check for that allergy. I already have cut out chocolate completely as I think it was causing the inside of my mouth to break out.

If you think you have dh then many of us have to go low iodine to bring it under control. What I'm talking about is not an allergy to iodine but something that can make the dh flare or flare worse. So, technically, in this instance, NO, your doc can not test it like it's an allergy.

Hey, I am both gluten-free & low iodine ---- lots of foods I'm not eating. Lots of us do this. Sucks but the alternative sucks worse.

Hey, I am both gluten-free & low iodine ---- lots of foods I'm not eating. Lots of us do this. Sucks but the alternative sucks worse.

true dat !

For those of us with thyroid issues and DH it becomes a wonderful <_< ( sarcasm ) balancing act

Thank you I will look into the iodine. It seems like this rash is getting worse everyday