19 replies to this topic

#1 DonnaMM

DonnaMM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

I have decided to go back on the diet regardless of my test results. Last time I did it I could never really get into the bread or pasta. Any ideas as to the best bread and pasta? I don't care if I have to order it I just want a soft bread and good pasta noodles (I LOOOOVE SPAGHETTI). Anyone tried the quinoa pasta, is it good?
Hodgkins Lymphoma-2006 at age 18, now 25
Disagnosed with IBS and anxiety (related to my treatment they say)-2007
Allergies to corn, tree nuts, shellfish, bees- 2010
Positive Lupus Anticoagulant-2011
Erosive esophagitis-2011
Severe iron deficiency anemia- 2012
Inappropriate sinus tachycardia-2013
Tested for celiac three times, blood and biopsies all negative
Now encouraged to undergo testing again due to malabsorption

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 alex11602

alex11602

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

My family and I find the Schar to be the best brand for both. My mom found Schar white bread in one of grocery stores and even she said it felt and tasted similar to "regular" bread and the same for their pastas.

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Ancient harvest quinoa/corn pasta.... is very good :)

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

I have decided to go back on the diet regardless of my test results. Last time I did it I could never really get into the bread or pasta. Any ideas as to the best bread and pasta? I don't care if I have to order it I just want a soft bread and good pasta noodles (I LOOOOVE SPAGHETTI). Anyone tried the quinoa pasta, is it good?

Donna......here are some links for the best bread and pasta ever. I am particularly picky about quality (or you can call me a food snob!) so these are my favorites after trying out many different kinds over the years.

http://www.canyonbakehouse.com/

The link I was going to give you for pasta will not work for you because they are all corn based and I see from your signature that you are allergic to corn. I am sorry because that makes it even harder for you. But Schar, as others have suggested, is very good pasta too. I just hope it is not corn based....I can't remember. I like many of their products and have done well with them. If things change on the corn front for you, let me know and I'll provide the link.

The bread link will work and by far, it's THE best gluten-free bread ever. I have given this to the wheat eaters without telling them it's gluten-free and they were shocked because they couldn't tell the difference. There is a store locator so I hope you can find some.

You are doing the right thing with going gluten-free. Like I said, your health history screams of Celiac so don't doubt yourself. We want to see you back to good health,like the rest of us!

#5 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Ah i didn't spot the corn allergy. woops :) My appologies. But yeah quinoa is pretty good.

#6 langone7

langone7

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

The absolute best bread flour and pasta mix is maninis, which you can buy online at their website http://maninisgluten...wordpress.com/. They are organic, rice free, and corn free. Its super easy to make, otherwise the store bought stuff I personally think tastes like cardboard.

#7 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Basically I stopped bread because I guess I'd rather go without than settle for something I can't hardly tolerate. The gluten free breads are dry and not soft and have an odd texture.
I've really struggled because to me none of the breads are good at all but we bought the Udi's dinner rolls last week. They are VERY good compared to everything I've had. I want to try the Udi flour tortilla's if I ever see them in stores and I hope they are good. And I wish they'd come out with a really biscuit!
I have heard good things about these onion rolls http://www.gilliansf...?products_id=31
I am waiting to see if I can find them in a store soon because shipping is SO costly.

As far as Pasta goes.....I've been buying the Ancient harvest quinoa, corn pasta and while it's not bad, it's not as good as Jovial Brown Rice Pasta. I've been told the best of the best is http://www.biaglutusa.com/order/
I ordered some and it'll be delivered Monday according to my tracking number, so we'll try that next week and I'll let everyone know.

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#8 Ms.Heather10

Ms.Heather10

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

Since my Celiac diagnosis, my mother and Memere (grandmother) are always active in searching for Gluten Free products anytime they're shopping. My Memere was very excited when she saw a box of Gluten Free Bisquick, so naturally, she bought it and gave it me the other day. I haven't tried it yet, but for the cost and the chance of finding those really good biscuits, I am hopeful. I know Bisquick is often used to make other things such as, pancakes and pie crust. If anyone has tried this Bisquick and know of some good tasty ways to use it, I would love if you could share them with me. Thank you!

#9 DonnaMM

DonnaMM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

I found a great recipe for little muffins made with chives, bacon, cheese and gluten-free bisquick, I love them
Hodgkins Lymphoma-2006 at age 18, now 25
Disagnosed with IBS and anxiety (related to my treatment they say)-2007
Allergies to corn, tree nuts, shellfish, bees- 2010
Positive Lupus Anticoagulant-2011
Erosive esophagitis-2011
Severe iron deficiency anemia- 2012
Inappropriate sinus tachycardia-2013
Tested for celiac three times, blood and biopsies all negative
Now encouraged to undergo testing again due to malabsorption

#10 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

The absolute best bread flour and pasta mix is maninis, which you can buy online at their website http://maninisgluten...wordpress.com/. They are organic, rice free, and corn free. Its super easy to make, otherwise the store bought stuff I personally think tastes like cardboard.

Most do taste pretty bad but not the Canyon Bakehouse. I recommend it to those who have never tried it and are looking for a soft bread that you can make a sandwich with without toasting the bread. It's the only bread I can fool the gluten eaters with.

#11 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

I really love Tinkyada brand pasta (brown rice). Easy for me to find, tastes great and doesn't get mushy! My favorite bread is Udi's, however I can't remember if they use corn in their bread products or not...

Gemini: Thanks for the recommendation! Going to look for it. :)

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

#12 CommonTater

CommonTater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

I bought a loaf of the Canyon Bakehouse and it was heavy and dry to me. Bread is the hardest for me, I think I'm a bread snob. I like it light, fluffy and soft like normal bread. We bought a bag of the Maninis

Miracolo Pane Classic Peasant  Bread Mix to try and it was REALLY good. You don't store it in the fridge or freezer, it has a shelf life of 5 days. IMO it's MUCH better on the 2nd day. We love thatManinis

is organic, rice free, and corn free.

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#13 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

CommonTater, which Canyon Bakehouse did you get? They make a white bread, a "rye" and SAN JUAN 7-GRAIN. The 7-Grain is not dry at all. It's got great texture and flavor. If that's the one you tried and it was dry, it must have had freezer burn or something.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#14 Alwayssomething

Alwayssomething

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

For pasta, especailly when I need a spagetti type replacement I use either Mi Fun Oriental noodles or bean thread oriental noodles.  Personally in the two years I have been doing this, I found that if the recipe had to be altered to make it gluten free I don't care for it and both of the products are "original" products.  Then again I already ate these items before being gluten free whenever we ordered chinese food.   

For bread I like Rudi's but have yet to find Canyon Bakehouse where do you guys find that, I know I can order online, but seem out of luck in my stores and am wondering how everyone else it getting it. 

I do like the new Toufayan gluten free wraps much better than any of the frozen gluten free wraps I have had.   They hold up great when rolled and while eating. 

#15 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

My local health food store sells it. It is my absolute favorite bread, but unfortunately I can't eat it right now. Udi's has corn starch, which I could tolerate for a while there and hope to get back again, but the Canyon Bakehouse 7-Grain has corn MEAL, which I doubt I'll ever be able to tolerate again.

But who knows? Maybe someday...

The Canyon Bakehouse website is selling it for $5 a loaf, or $45 for a case of ten loaves. Believe me, if I could eat it I would buy a case and keep it in my freezer.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: