Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Questions.....

7 posts in this topic

not sure if this is the correct section to post these in but i had some questions that i am hoping you all could help me out with.....

what is the difference between whole grain and whole wheat? how come you can have whole grain rice or whole grain rice cakes and not react like you would if you ate something whole wheat? are they completely different things?

is lemon water good for the gut? i heard it is but just wanted to make sure before i start drinking it daily.

i had more questions, but i have pretty bad mental fog this week.....when i think of the rest i'll come back and post.....thanks all!

Ads by Google:

Whole grain generally means that the grain, of whatever type, has not been refined in any way. For example, whole grain wheat bread should have (at least some) whole, unrefined wheat grains in it -- in practice most have a few scattered on top, but do have a certain proportion of whole grain wheat flour, i.e., flour made without first removing the outer husk (the bran) from the wheat before milling. Brown rice is whole grain rice because it retains the bran; white rice has had the bran removed. "Whole grain" says nothing about what is contained within the grain which is what we react to if we have a reaction. Each type of grain has a different kind of protein in it. The proteins of wheat, barley and rye are so similar that they have been grouped together because these are the grains celiacs react to, and are commonly called gluten grains. While other grains also contain a "gluten" protein (and this is the confusing part), they are a different structure of gluten protein than found in wheat, barley and rye, and so are generally referred to by the specific kind of protein they contain, with the term 'gluten' being reserved for wheat, barley and rye.

Lemon water is fine for the gut so long as you do not react to lemons as I do. There is no blanket statement of what is good for everyone; there is only the blanket statement that gluten is bad for celiacs and gluten intolerants. We are all different and react to different foods. :)

what is the difference between whole grain and whole wheat? how come you can have whole grain rice or whole grain rice cakes and not react like you would if you ate something whole wheat? are they completely different things?

I hope I am understanding you correctly.....whole grain wheat (any form of wheat) has a protein that if ingested, kicks off a gluten response in those of us with Celiac Disease. Rice, or whole grain rice does not contain that protein, which bothers us. Rice is okay for us to eat if gluten is your only issue. Rice is okay, wheat anything is not. ;)

Mushroom offered a great explaination....I slid you some Cliff Notes. :P:D No test tomorrow.

Lemon water can be a little hard on your teeth..make sure you clean your teeth well after drinking!

Thanks everyone for the detailed explanation. That was a great help!

I have another question: how many of you are on a daily antihistamine? I have been on daily antihistamine since my hive breakout back in august 2012.

Thanks everyone for the detailed explanation. That was a great help!

I have another question: how many of you are on a daily antihistamine? I have been on daily antihistamine since my hive breakout back in august 2012.

I've got a better question for you. How many of you were on a daily anti-histamine and no longer are?

Answer: Me! Me! Me! Me!!!! :)

I used to take anti-histmaines every day and a couple times day for that matter, morning and evening. I had hay-fever symptoms that made it hard to go outside at some times of year. Now I don't take anti-histamines very often at all. I am still somewhat reactive to cats, have been for a longtime. But my other allergic responses have tuned way down to where I don't need anit-histamines.

I've got a better question for you. How many of you were on a daily anti-histamine and no longer are?

Answer: Me! Me! Me! Me!!!! :)

I used to take anti-histmaines every day and a couple times day for that matter, morning and evening. I had hay-fever symptoms that made it hard to go outside at some times of year. Now I don't take anti-histamines very often at all. I am still somewhat reactive to cats, have been for a longtime. But my other allergic responses have tuned way down to where I don't need anit-histamines.

how long did it take you to come off the antihistamines? i hate taking them everyday, but i do for itchy skin and hives. how did you know when you could officially stop taking them? i never used to have any seasonal allergies at all. now everything bothers me and even dust. it's very frustrating. thanks.