This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recent Convert To A Gluten Free Life Was Wondering…

lumdogs

lumdogs Newbie

Hi all,

I’ve recently started a gluten free diet as a trial more than anything after suffering through nausea and GERD for the past 12 months. I had a blood test for Celiac come back as negative although my IgA levels were lower than the norm. Anyway I thought what the heck - just trial gluten free and see if it makes a difference to my symptoms. I’m pleased to say that after 4 days of being Gluten Free, i’m still Gluten Free. I haven’t noticed a change in symptoms as yet but I am only 4 days in and very realistic that it will take time. I was wondering though about side effects. I don’t really seem to be suffering anything major other than dehydration. I drink my 2 litres of water per day as I have done for years prior to going gluten-free, however it seems that now I am permanently dehydrated. Can anyone tell me whether this is a common side effect and is it likely to disappear with time? Thanks in advance - LD.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Lumdogs,

Welcome to the forum! :)

I don't recall that particular symptom myself but that doesn't mean it isn't related. There is a very wide range of physical symptoms that people get from eating gluten and stopping it too. Sometimes people have withdrawal symptoms, while others don't even notice a change. Some celiacs have villi damage but have no outward symptoms at all. That is called silent celiac. So going by symptoms is tricky. If you want to get tested though you should do that before being gluten-free for very long. The tests are a simple blood draw for antibodie testing, and then possibly an endoscopy for biopsy. The antibodies in the bloodstream drop off after going gluten-free and that makes the blood tests useless. The other trick to it is that NCGI doesn't show up in blood tests just yet, as it is newly recognized and no tests have been devised.

It is helpful to write down a food and symptom log each day. Not just physical symptoms but also if you felt well or were anxious for no reason, depressed etc.

Non-celiac wheat sensitivity article

https://www.celiac.com/articles/23033/1/Non-Celiac-Wheat-Sensitivity-It-Exists/Page1.html

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I recall some discussion on dehydration in the past, so you might try searching for it. From my own memory in 2007(in my gluten days) I spent the summer drinking cup after cup of water and still feeling thirsty. The doctor checked for diabetes and kidney trouble, but they were negative.

Archived