IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Real Life with Celiac Disease

Melinda Dennis, MS, RD, LDN Daniel Leffler, MD. MS
The Celiac Center at Beth israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston.

I am reading this book and find it is an excellent resource for us. I've read many books on celiac disease and tons of pretty dry research, :Dbut this one seems to cover a great deal of information all in one collection.
I am so glad someone on another site mentioned it to me!

Honestly wish I had found it 2 years ago--would have saved me a lot of research time!! :huh:

Articles by more than 50 international experts.
Not "too techie", short enough chapters ... and very enlightening.

Covers just about everything imaginable: the disease process itself, obstacles to healing and solutions,
nutritional advice, dietary advice if you gain weight after getting your absorption back, trouble-shooting other food intolerances, elimination diets, depression and anxiety, related AI conditions, celiac and diabetes, infants and teens, eating disorders at celiac disease, etc. I was thrilled to see Dr. Gaundalini talk favorably about using probiotics.

I highly recommend it.
Cheers, IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Opa3

Opa3

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

I read it. Consider it my bible of celiac disease. I will recommend it to my GI/ PCP so we will be on equal level.

#3 Denine

Denine

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

I will have to look into. My 10 yo daughter is newly diagnosed.

#4 Opa3

Opa3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

I read it. Consider it my bible of celiac disease. I will recommend it to my GI/ PCP so we will be on equal level.

Just to follow up.

To date, my PCP (of 14 months) won't read this book.  He said it's not his job, has no interest or time in reading books on specific diseases and tells me to direct my questions regarding celiac/gluten issues to my GI Doctor.  

#5 BZBee

BZBee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

I'm going to add this to my library, thanks!

#6 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

I got this on IH's recommendation and it is excellent. I would say that the chapters are short and self contained enough to copy and pass to family and friends (and more receptive doctors perhaps) to explain certain aspects of the condition without being overwhelming.

Definitely recommend
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: