This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Scared To Tears

bellybattle

bellybattle Apprentice

Well, my blood tests finally came back. Here are the results:

GLIADIN ANTIBODIES IGA = 4

GLIADIN ANTIBODIES IGG = 25

REFERENCE RANGE FOR BOTH < 20 UNITS

So basically, the IgA showed up negative while the IgG showed up as a weak positive.

The doctor scheduled me to do an upper endoscopy/biopsy and I'm sooo scared! :( From what I've heard, most people say it's easy, but I've never had anything even close to this done and I'm not taking it too well. I'm practically in tears! Any words or wisdom or advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Hi,

I'm having mine done in a few hours. I'm not scared or nervous at all. I only wish they would've done it when I was still eating gluten and sick. The test probably wont show damage now but at least I'll know if anything else is going on or not.

Everyone says its no big deal...I'll let you know when I get back. :)

Remember keep eating gluten until AFTER your scope!

tstarbrat Newbie
Well, my blood tests finally came back. Here are the results:

GLIADIN ANTIBODIES IGA = 4

GLIADIN ANTIBODIES IGG = 25

REFERENCE RANGE FOR BOTH < 20 UNITS

So basically, the IgA showed up negative while the IgG showed up as a weak positive.

The doctor scheduled me to do an upper endoscopy/biopsy and I'm sooo scared!  :(  From what I've heard, most people say it's easy, but I've never had anything even close to this done and I'm not taking it too well. I'm practically in tears! Any words or wisdom or advice?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

To be honest I don't remember how my endoscopy went. I had it done april 04. I guess I just fell asleep during the procedure and then woke up groggy and confused. All I remember is getting the Iv set up and then drifting off. I was scared before I went but It all happened so fast. I was finished and found my mom smiling down at me in no time. Don't be afraid, it will be over before you even realize its begun. Hope this helps!

skbird Contributor

I'm having one done on Thursday, along with a colonoscopy at the same time. What scares me (more like fills me with dread) is the prep day - I am hypoglycemic and I am supposed to not eat the whole day before, starting at 7am. I sure don't plan on doing anything that takes any energy because I will be fried. Blech...

From everyone's review of it though, it is no big deal. Try not to worry about it, you won't remember it! :)

Stephanie

laurelfla Enthusiast

i had my endoscopy done in late june and all i remember is waking up and feeling very affectionate towards the nurses. and then i had a coke. mmmm...

i was scared beforehand, too, but it was painless, and nothing hurt afterward. :)

skbird Contributor

My mom told me this weekend when she had her colonoscopy, they gave her the first does of whatever, and she said that she involuntarily said, "Mmmmmmm, that's like a good martini." The doc said, "Want another?" and she said, "Yessssssssssssssss......." and fell asleep before she could finish the "yes".

Cracked me up.

Also, my dad said he was going to stay awake to watch the screen. When he came out he told my mom that once he got past the red part, where it shows the blood, he didn't remember the rest. My mom looked at him and said, "Uh, it's a black and white monitor, you wouldn't have seen red blood - you were asleep!!!"

You'll be fine...

:)

Stephanie

rmmadden Contributor

If I could get thru an endoscopy than anybody can!

I am a lousy patient. I'm not kidding. I get woozy and nearly pass-out from needles/blood draws/IV's, etc. It really isn't that bad of a procedure. The worst part is the gas pains and the sore throat the next day.

Hang in there & best of luck!

Cleveland Bob B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bellybattle Apprentice

Thanks for the encouragement guys - I really needed that! I think I just need to stay off the WebMD website because it gives info on every possible little thing that can go wrong! :o It mentioned possible complications from punctured organs to developing infections to even getting pnemonia (if one were to accidentally inhale vomit into their during the procedure). I didn't even know this procedure could cause vomiting - which, by the way, I'm really afraid of throwing up. I don't know why I'm such a baby but I've always been this way! :rolleyes: I think I'll stay away from that site and listen more to the people who have actually been through it. Thanks again for calming me down!

bellybattle Apprentice

By the way - I was told to fast for 12 hours, and that was about it on the directions. Does anyone know if it is ok to take Imodium or Lomotil the night before (as long as it is before that 12 hour time frame)? I've basically been living on this medicine and I'm not sure if it would upset the results at all. I'll probably have to give my doc a call just to be sure. Thanks again!

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

Hi :-)

The test itself is a breeze :-)

What was hard on me was 'the prep stage'...

Don't worry, though, even that is just a matter of grim and bear it...

The test is actually an opportunity to get more rest!

Go home afterward, have something light to eat and take a cozy nap while the sedatives make their way out of your system! ;-)

Love, Gina

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

My five year old had an endoscopy no problem. Just remind the nurses of the most important thing: the popsicle afterward. Ty's was blue and later, he had an orange one.

You can do it! Good luck.

Lisa Mentor

I had an endosopy two months ago. I can attest that the worst part of it is the anxiety before. My father used to say "expectation is always greater than the realization". In this case it is true.

The nurses are always very nice and calming. They even put on music to calm the patients. They will put on a blood pressure monitor on you through the proceedure. Once you get that shot in the arm..."say goodnight". I guess it wasn't more than a half hour and I was awake. My husband was in the room and talking to the DR. Apparently, I asked him several questions, but can't remember. Make sure that you take someone with you who will ask question so that they can convey them to you when your head is clear.

Came home and slept for the rest of the day, until dinner. I did have several days with a bad sore throat. Nothing that wasn't managable.

I ended, for the next three days, asking my husband about what was said, what I said and what the DR. said. He thought it was funny.

It truely is no big deal and getting answers is always a great relief. Good luck and relax. Let us know how you are doing.

Lisa B.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Well I'm back and I survived the procedure. :)

I'm pretty groggy right now...just want to sleep. I don't remember anything once they started the drugs. I was getting nervous during the preparation though. As many times as I've been poked with needles the last 3 years you'd think I'd be used to it...but I still don't like it. That was the worst part of everything. I woke up and I thought they hadn't done anything yet but they told me it was all over. I'm still fuzzy and can barely type but my throat feels fine. They sprayed some stuff to numb my throat but it wasn't bad at all...I think I crashed out right after they sprayed my mouth. Now I have bad hiccups. I wonder if anyone else got hiccups afterward. I tried to talk to the GI but my mom said I wasnt making sense really. :huh: I go back on the 27th for results.

Also I wasnt given any popsicles.

skbird Contributor

Wow, good to have the fresh experience. I asked my mom about having my husband in there with questions but she said the room isn't big, there won't be room for him. I'm hoping he can still get in somehow and ask some questions because I'll want to know something. Sort of feel like a control freak now, but I don't know if I could handle not knowing the results for a few weeks... :huh:

Anyway, I'll post on Thursday afternoon my impressions, if I have any.

Stephanie

skbird Contributor

Wow, good to have the fresh experience. I asked my mom about having my husband in there with questions but she said the room isn't big, there won't be room for him. I'm hoping he can still get in somehow and ask some questions because I'll want to know something. Sort of feel like a control freak now, but I don't know if I could handle not knowing the results for a few weeks... :huh:

Anyway, I'll post on Thursday afternoon my impressions, if I have any.

Stephanie

bellybattle Apprentice

Thanks for the support everyone! I feel better now. :)

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Well I'm back and I survived the procedure.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What!? :o Maybe you have to be five to get a popsicle.

Lisa Mentor

Stephanie:

Have your mom there or your husband. You will need someone to drive you home anyways. They may not be able to be in the room as the proceedure is being done.

My gastro dr. was able to tell my husband "what he saw". My husband suffers from CRS (Can't Remember S...) so.........tell whom ever brings you to have some paper and a pen/pencil. Have some pre-questions about the post-proceedure (make sense?) You should have some information from the Dr. that day, but results of any biopsy will be sent off and you will be notified later. Even if you have a conversation with your Dr. after, you will not remember. So therefore, you need someone to write things down for you.

I (my husband) was told that I have a large (sliding?) hernia, gastritis and scalloping in small intestines, consistant with Celiac. The biopsy confirmed Celiac.

He told my husband any myself. He barely remembered, and I of course, did not.

As difficult as dealing with celiac disease is, it a far better alternative to many other things that effect the digestive tracks. You can control Celiac/Sprue. It does not control you.

Take care, it will be ok? Lisa B.

Lisa Mentor
Well I'm back and I survived the procedure.  :)

I'm pretty groggy right now...just want to sleep.  I don't remember anything once they started the drugs. I was getting nervous during the preparation though. As many times as I've been poked with needles the last 3 years you'd think I'd be used to it...but I still don't like it. That was the worst part of everything. I woke up and I thought they hadn't done anything yet but they told me it was all over. I'm still fuzzy and can barely type but my throat feels fine. They sprayed some stuff to numb my throat but it wasn't bad at all...I think I crashed out right after they sprayed my mouth. Now I have bad hiccups. I wonder if anyone else got hiccups afterward. I tried to talk to the GI but my mom said I wasnt making sense really.  :huh:  I go back on the 27th for results.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rachel:

I know that your are a little doppy right now. Glad you are home and confortable. It is a relief when it is over, but the proceedure, you just don't remember. Wish childbirth would have been that easy. If I wasn't too old, next time I would holler for drugs.

I "think?" I had hiccups, it sounds vaguely familiar. Maybe that is the reason that my husband was laughing at me on the ride home.

You know what, I just rembered. When I woke up they gave me "nabs" - peanut butter and cheese crackers..............(welll I'll be dam..). They saw signs of intestinal damage due to gluten intolerance, and they gave me CRACKERS.

GO FIGURE??????????????????

Rachel, I know that you will feel much more alert in the morning. We'll let you sleep. Good night.

Lisa B.

Sweet dreams ;-)

Gina

Stepahanie - you'll be fine....your hubby would just distract the doc, so I wouldn't ask about having him be present....that's my thoughts about it...

Of course, he can still tell the doc, "Take great care with my angel!"

Gina

Lisa Mentor
Thanks for the support everyone! I feel better now.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bellybattle:

Sometimes when someone post a site, we all chime in. I hope that much of what you have read will make you feel better about your proceedure. We often get side tracked. I was worried and nervous, that is natual before something like this.

It will be ok. Trust your doctor and ask as many questions that you feel you need to before...afterwords, take a good nap.

It is a good step to solving a puzzle. Thinking of you. Lisa B.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy on the same day -- the endoscopy was a piece of cake -- they gave me some lidocaine syrup to drink to numb my throat, then put a bite guard in my mouth so that they could guide the tube. Then they gave me medication called Versed which just puts you in La-La land, and added some Demerol to help control the pain. It was no big deal. B)

They didn't appreciate my humor prior to the procedures, though. I asked them that if they were going to use the same tube, would they please do my throat first. They were not amused.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Wow, they sounded rather anal! <_< (pardon the pun :P )

Sounds like they need to lighten up a bit! B)

Karen

nogluten- Newbie

Don't worry about the endoscopy. The fentanyl usually makes you nice and happy (like many others have mentioned)before you have a chance to feel a thing. I told my doctor he was very handsome before passing out ! :lol: (I had never thought that before, but i guess the fentanyl gave me some beer goggles.) :lol:

Archived