#1 gkygrl

gkygrl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Hi,

I am brand new to the forum and have been learning a lot about Celiac and gluten (from this forum and other places as well).

My question is: do most with Celiac disease have other autoimmune diseases as well? I experienced Toxic exposure while in the military and have a bunch autoimmune diseases that my family (even my twin brother) do not have:

- MS
- Fibromyalgia
- Allergies & Asthma
- Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (Autoimmune Hypothyroidism - had to have a complete thyroidectomy)
- Endometriosis (had a complete hysterectomy)

I have a ton of GI symptoms and have had them for the past 10-15 years. They seem to have gotten worse over the years. I don't deal with weight loss and am over the top of my weight range: 5'9" & 190 lbs. I was experimenting with Gluten Free foods but have added various Gluten (I had pizza yesterday and a leftover slice this evening). Both times have left me bloated, gassy, growly stomach and sometimes diarrhea. MS can effect bowels too (I have a completely neurogenic bladder). I am due for a colonoscopy and am going to have them do an endoscopy while they are at it.

It seems my autoimmune system is going after something and seems to turn on itself. Wondering if there are a lot of folks here with dual autoimmune diseases. I'm pretty sick of the GI stuff and would like to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks,

Diana

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 DonnaMM

DonnaMM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

Yes absolutely celiac runs with autoimmune diseases, but the fact is that once you have one autoimmune disease you are at risk for many others. Celiac in particular has a strong association with hashimotos and type 1 diabetes, I believe possibly lupus as well.
Hodgkins Lymphoma-2006 at age 18, now 25
Disagnosed with IBS and anxiety (related to my treatment they say)-2007
Allergies to corn, tree nuts, shellfish, bees- 2010
Positive Lupus Anticoagulant-2011
Erosive esophagitis-2011
Severe iron deficiency anemia- 2012
Inappropriate sinus tachycardia-2013
Tested for celiac three times, blood and biopsies all negative
Now encouraged to undergo testing again due to malabsorption

#3 islandmomma

islandmomma

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Yes absolutely celiac runs with autoimmune diseases, but the fact is that once you have one autoimmune disease you are at risk for many others. Celiac in particular has a strong association with hashimotos and type 1 diabetes, I believe possibly lupus as well.

Yep. I have hypothyroidism, type 2 diabetes, diverticular disease (new dx), kidney failure (early, I hope) and allergies/asthma ( adult onset only). Stinks doesn't it? I think I posted elsewhere it is like our own immune systems are attacking one organ after another....:(. I already did heart and lung disease some years ago. Hope some things soon resolve for you to some extent, GKYgirl....

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

It seems to be especially common amoungst those of us celiacs who lived undiagnosed, and therefore untreated, for many years (this is just a personal observation though). I know that the inflammation from gluten can exasperate other autoimmune disorders, I'm not sure if or how it actually triggers them to start.

As far as I can tell, I've had celiac my entire life. I developed Hashimoto's and ITP as a young adult. I think I might have a connective tissue problem (like Lupus) too.

I wanted to add, if you are getting tested for celiac (through endoscopy, blood work or both) you should continue to eat gluten until your tests are complete, otherwise you could end up with a false negative test.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: