This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Autoimmune Disease Comorbidities

gkygrl

gkygrl Newbie

Hi,

I am brand new to the forum and have been learning a lot about Celiac and gluten (from this forum and other places as well).

My question is: do most with Celiac disease have other autoimmune diseases as well? I experienced Toxic exposure while in the military and have a bunch autoimmune diseases that my family (even my twin brother) do not have:

- MS

- Fibromyalgia

- Allergies & Asthma

- Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (Autoimmune Hypothyroidism - had to have a complete thyroidectomy)

- Endometriosis (had a complete hysterectomy)

I have a ton of GI symptoms and have had them for the past 10-15 years. They seem to have gotten worse over the years. I don't deal with weight loss and am over the top of my weight range: 5'9" & 190 lbs. I was experimenting with Gluten Free foods but have added various Gluten (I had pizza yesterday and a leftover slice this evening). Both times have left me bloated, gassy, growly stomach and sometimes diarrhea. MS can effect bowels too (I have a completely neurogenic bladder). I am due for a colonoscopy and am going to have them do an endoscopy while they are at it.

It seems my autoimmune system is going after something and seems to turn on itself. Wondering if there are a lot of folks here with dual autoimmune diseases. I'm pretty sick of the GI stuff and would like to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks,

Diana

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DonnaMM Explorer

Yes absolutely celiac runs with autoimmune diseases, but the fact is that once you have one autoimmune disease you are at risk for many others. Celiac in particular has a strong association with hashimotos and type 1 diabetes, I believe possibly lupus as well.

islandmomma Newbie

Yes absolutely celiac runs with autoimmune diseases, but the fact is that once you have one autoimmune disease you are at risk for many others. Celiac in particular has a strong association with hashimotos and type 1 diabetes, I believe possibly lupus as well.

Yep. I have hypothyroidism, type 2 diabetes, diverticular disease (new dx), kidney failure (early, I hope) and allergies/asthma ( adult onset only). Stinks doesn't it? I think I posted elsewhere it is like our own immune systems are attacking one organ after another....:(. I already did heart and lung disease some years ago. Hope some things soon resolve for you to some extent, GKYgirl....

nvsmom Community Regular

It seems to be especially common amoungst those of us celiacs who lived undiagnosed, and therefore untreated, for many years (this is just a personal observation though). I know that the inflammation from gluten can exasperate other autoimmune disorders, I'm not sure if or how it actually triggers them to start.

As far as I can tell, I've had celiac my entire life. I developed Hashimoto's and ITP as a young adult. I think I might have a connective tissue problem (like Lupus) too.

I wanted to add, if you are getting tested for celiac (through endoscopy, blood work or both) you should continue to eat gluten until your tests are complete, otherwise you could end up with a false negative test.

Archived