5 replies to this topic

#1 Worried mommy

Worried mommy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

I have avoided giving my 8 year old DD any oatmeal because I couldn't get a straight answer about it being gluten-free. I have read a lot about cc and that is what I was worried about. She has been gluten-free for two weeks and it has been such a wonderful two weeks. She isn't celiac but has shown a gluten intolerance or sensitivity we are in the process of figuring it out. This morning she looked upset staring at my bowel of oatmeal, and asked when she would be able to have one. I explained the reason of cc, and that I don't know if this falls in that category or not. Then I asked her if she was willing to give it a shot and she was all for it. She at her whole bowl of strawberry oatmeal and had no reaction to it. So my ? Is do many of you eat oatmeal?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

There are certaifide gluten free brands (bob red mills?). I can't handle them (gives me a belly ache). However, regular brands are CC'd because they rotate the fields with wheat (if i remembered that correctly).

#3 Worried mommy

Worried mommy

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

So if she ate it with no problems makes me wonder what is going on with her tummy.

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

So if she ate it with no problems makes me wonder what is going on with her tummy.

Depends on her level of sensitivity. Most people stick to the gluten free oats if they can handle oats in the first place, which many cannot, but if she is not overly sensitive and there was a low level or no contamination, she could well have no problems with oats. Still, better to stick with the certified gluten free oats. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 CommonTater

CommonTater

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

My husband buys Gluten Free oatmeal for me at different stores. Any that say Gluten Free is safe. He got me a new kind last week that I love. http://www.bakeryonmain.com/
'Bakery on Main' Gluten Free Instant Oatmeal

After many years of suffering from Late Stage Lyme Disease I became Gluten intolerant and I'm extremely sensitive.

#6 Dukebanta

Dukebanta

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

I have had to completely removed oats as a meal. Even the gluten free. I do eat them when as an ingredient in my wife's meatloaf though. I have read that it is possible for oats to cause a reaction in celiac's which I am one of. Think there is a protein similar to gluten. In time I will try again. But probably limit them. I still struggle with many foods cause I was really sick before diagnosed and I don't want to feel like that again. Nothing tasted so good that I was willing to chance a reaction. So if you are not sure cut if from your diet. Than add it again later. Only make one addition to your diet at a time, speaking from experience on that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: