4 replies to this topic

#1 amy8877

amy8877

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

We are 3 weeks in to going gluten free here. Did it all the wrong way...but to make a long story short- there is NO way I want to put my kids back on gluten now for testing. But, my 5 year old has had a rash for 2 years on his bottom. It bleeds sometimes. Looks like zits. It completely went away after 3 days gluten-free. I tested him 2 days ago and gave him goldfish. the rash was back and bleeding the next morning! 30 hours later after no gluten. it is completely gone!! Now, how do I go about getting him tested for celiac without giving him gluten for months???

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

You can't? He'd have to be on it for a several weeks (i've heard anywhere from 2-6 weeks, longer the better) just for the testing to come back accurately. The only test that does not require this is the genetics test but generally that alone is not enough for a diagnosis.

#3 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Even for the skin biopsy he has to be eating a full gluten diet. You could try giving him gluten for a week & get the dh biopsy & if it's neg. you can be pretty sure it was false neg. but there's the off chance that it will be positive.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#4 jlaw

jlaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

although if you had a sympathetic doctor, the genetics test and your own observations may be enough for a diagnosis?? Ahh, I don't know. It really is a dilemma. But if it was me, I probably would continue the gluten. It's such a lifestyle change and particularly hard with children. I personally would need the formal diagnosis behind me. BUT that is only me. I guess it depends somewhat on how you feel like you will go later on.
DH dx by skin biopsy July 2012

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

I would just go with your gut and the positive results he has had. You don't need an official diagnosis to eat a certain way. I'm glad that your kids are doing better! Thats the most important part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: