35 replies to this topic

#1 designerstubble

designerstubble

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:50 AM

I recently have become intolerant to corn after 3-4 months gluten free...
I seem to tolerate small amounts without any gi symptoms, but larger amounts (like a bowl of corn flakes) gets it all going horribly wrong for a couple of days or more.
Should I continue to eat small amounts or just completely avoid.
Do I need to avoid things with corn flour/starch?

How long would you say before I try re introduction, is it worth trying after 6months free or would it need years?

If I consume any corn does it actually damage my intestines the same way as gluten? (The symptoms defo feel the same!)

Sorry for all the questions. Any info appreciated... I'm hoping one day I can eat it again properly, I love corn!

Diagnosed Celiac Oct 2012 (Blood and Biopsy)
Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013
Vegetarian since 1986 / Asthmatic since 1990 / Migraines since 1998

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

(Marked in bold, these problems have been resolved)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:06 AM

No, on the damage to your intestines. Not the same gluten protein that celiacs need to avoid.

Take it out for a while then add it back in. Some people tolerate various forms of corn (starch, flour) but not the whole corn kernels--and vice versa..

And frankly, many people have trouble digesting it fully--if you get my drift :D. (like me, but I love it and I eat it fresh whenever it's available) whereas corn starch, citric acid, etc. does not bother me at all.

But, like ANY food that you feel is bothersome, just take it out (all forms) for a month or two (some people say 3-6 months) and then, try it alone-- not with any other foods ---and see what happens.

Do not despair; you're still healing and in time, you may very well get all the foods back. Just remember that occasional bowels issues are not always because of gluten CC or that you're damaging your villi somehow. I wondered the same things when I first started out, too.

Sometimes, it is just because your GI tract is still healing. Give it time. Hang in there!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,109 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

Those were gluten-free corn flakes? Regular corn flakes wrn't gluten-free.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

Thanks Irish Heart! So when you say not digesting it fully you mean seeing it a bit later on again?!! This is what happens to me also!!

Interesting... Didn't know citric acid is corn based?
Soooo much to learn. You guys must have Phd's in Celiac Disease!
Ok, I'm also wondering if it was the corn that caused my loose BM? I used to eat baby crisps made from 60% corn... Haven't had them for a while and my 'movements' (!!) are better.

Aaaaanyway. I hope you're right about getting it back. Pleeeease! Thanks for your help.
I'm wonder why then we react. Is it purely because the body is 'wanting' to react to something and sees a similar gluten etc... ie body has gone a bit haywire? Why would it not react possibly in 6months? Is it because it has 'forgotten'? Sorry. I'm very naive with the terminology!

Kareng, thanks, they are gluten free corn flakes :) defo!

Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

#5 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

Corn never gave me digestive symptoms. As a matter of fact, gluten didn't give me bad digestive symptoms either, although it does now. What they both gave me was psoriasis. I still get psoriasis from corn meal, but corn starch doesn't bother me anymore. That has opened up a whole realm of foods that I can now eat. I can eat Udi's bread, but not Canyon Bakehouse because Canyon Bakehouse has corn meal. (Rats!! I LOVE that stuff!) But the best part is that I no longer have to have meds made at the compounding pharmacy. Almost ALL pills have cornstarch filler. It's nice to be able to buy Tylenol at the store for $6, when it used to cost $36 for a smaller bottle!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#6 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

http://gut.bmj.com/c.../54/6/769.short
http://pubs.acs.org/....1021/jf0724163
Cross-Reaction between Gliadin and Different Food and Tissue Antigens
A Vojdani, I Tarash - Food and Nutrition, 2013

a few articles that talk about immune or body reactions to corn in celiacs. I've read at least 1 more but I can't find it again.
If being gluten free isn't enough for you, then you should really look at other foods, including corn. In any case, being on this board you probably know that many people who have serious reactions to gluten don't have villi damage. The same can go with other foods as well.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

http://gut.bmj.com/c.../54/6/769.short
http://pubs.acs.org/....1021/jf0724163
Cross-Reaction between Gliadin and Different Food and Tissue Antigens
A Vojdani, I Tarash - Food and Nutrition, 2013

a few articles that talk about immune or body reactions to corn in celiacs. I've read at least 1 more but I can't find it again.
If being gluten free isn't enough for you, then you should really look at other foods, including corn. In any case, being on this board you probably know that many people who have serious reactions to gluten don't have villi damage. The same can go with other foods as well.

The discussion about this maize study was raised some time ago, if you would like to read this:
http://www.celiac.co...search-on-corn/

It is not a gluten cross reaction, according to Skylark, who is a scientist. (I miss her! She always had access to some interesting materials
and could interpret some of the more complex articles for the members) :).

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#8 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'm wonder why then we react. Is it purely because the body is 'wanting' to react to something and sees a similar gluten etc... ie body has gone a bit haywire? Why would it not react possibly in 6months? Is it because it has 'forgotten'? Sorry. I'm very naive with the terminology!

You use the word "react". Do you mean you get a stomach ache? Bad bowels movements? These are not unusual with corn, or any food for that matter when you are still healing your gut.

Time is the reason you may be able to tolerate more foods. As you have removed all gluten, your gut starts to heal, the villi regrow and the inflammation in your body starts to calm down. Then, foods that are greasy, tough to digest, or acidic will be more easily tolerated. (Right now, your digestive tract is still damaged and these foods may be problematic).
That's the general idea anyway.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#9 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I must admit I am slightly confused as to whether its even safe for some celiacs to eat corn? (Irishheart, the report you posted seemed to imply that some celiacs might have damaged guts from corn? And that there were no follow ups to see if they healed after removing it??)

I appreciate that this probably isn't the case for most but must admit my reactions to corn feel the same as to gluten. As in frequent diarrhea, gut pain, and even the aches and pains. I have milder symptoms (loose bowel and rumbling guts) when I have a small amount of corn.

I hope I'm a lucky one that is able to re introduce. I have no idea where to start with getting rid of every corn trace in my food. It's everywhere isn't it. Ugh!

Thanks again to all

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I must admit I am slightly confused as to whether its even safe for some celiacs to eat corn? (Irishheart, the report you posted seemed to imply that some celiacs might have damaged guts from corn? And that there were no follow ups to see if they healed after removing it??)

I appreciate that this probably isn't the case for most but must admit my reactions to corn feel the same as to gluten. As in frequent diarrhea, gut pain, and even the aches and pains. I have milder symptoms (loose bowel and rumbling guts) when I have a small amount of corn.

I hope I'm a lucky one that is able to re introduce. I have no idea where to start with getting rid of every corn trace in my food. It's everywhere isn't it. Ugh!

Thanks again to all

No, hon, that was not my link that was posted (I believe cavernio posted to those studies).I just added the discussion that occured as a result (from an older thread).

The thread I posted the link to states the opposite--it is not a "gluten cross-reaction".

I wanted you to be encouraged by what the science had to say, not to make you overly concerned. I guessed that was a bad idea. sorry :(
It's only ONE study anyway.

I do NOT believe corn damages celiac guts like wheat gluten does.

I DO believe you are having digestive issues, yes--for the reasons I have previously stated.

In any case, do not eat it if it bothers you. Could be difficult for you to digest right now.
Hang in there!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#11 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

No, hon, that was not my link that was posted (I believe cavernio posted to those studies).I just added the discussion that occured as a result (from an older thread).

The thread I posted the link to states the opposite--it is not a "gluten cross-reaction".

I wanted you to be encouraged by what the science had to say, not to make you overly concerned. I guessed that was a bad idea. sorry :(
It's only ONE study anyway.

I do NOT believe corn damages celiac guts like wheat gluten does.

I DO believe you are having digestive issues, yes--for the reasons I have previously stated.

In any case, do not eat it if it bothers you. Could be difficult for you to digest right now.
Hang in there!

I don't have the citations yet, but my DIL recently shared with me that she saw some studies pointing not to gut damage from non-gluten grains, but pointing to some evidence that grains like rice, corn, and others have enough similarity to gluten that they fool receptors and cause an increase in the body's autoimmune responses. She's out of town right now, I'll get the citations from her at some point. She is a graduate in a science field and I trust her evaluation of the validity of studies.

Just throwing that out for thought at this point!
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

I don't have the citations yet, but my DIL recently shared with me that she saw some studies pointing not to gut damage from non-gluten grains, but pointing to some evidence that grains like rice, corn, and others have enough similarity to gluten that they fool receptors and cause an increase in the body's autoimmune responses. She's out of town right now, I'll get the citations from her at some point. She is a graduate in a science field and I trust her evaluation of the validity of studies.

Just throwing that out for thought at this point!

Yes please---I'd love to see them! Skylark and I spent a long time looking for these types of articles on Pub Med--and she had access to other sources as well--and if anyone ever finds anything, they should most definitely post them!!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#13 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,109 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:58 AM

I think that if corn or soda pop or juniper bushes bother you - don't eat it, bathe in it or roll in it! It doesn't mean it has gluten or "gluten-like" substances.

Posted Image

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#14 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:19 AM

I think that if corn or soda pop or juniper bushes bother you - don't eat it, bathe in it or roll in it! It doesn't mean it has gluten or "gluten-like" substances.

Posted Image

Exactly. I think part of the reason we say "gluten-like" is because we really don't have much to compare it to.

#15 ncdave

ncdave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

This thread may be of some intrest to you, if your looking for corn free foods. We have not posted in it for some time, I think we ran out of corn free foods. http://www.celiac.co...e-free-recipes/
gluten free 12/11
dairy free 2/12
soy free 10/12
corn free 10/12
nightshade free 10/12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: