#1 Jonoh

Jonoh

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

Hi guys,
I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. I recently got an Anti-transglutaminase antibodies test, along with a few other things, and got a phonecall from the Doc today. I have an appointment in a few days for the results, and I was just wondering, when you guys got told your results, was it classed as urgent? Like did you get called in the same day? It's just I do suffer from health anxiety, and waiting for results has to be the worst part for me!! So I'm mainly just posting this to help allay some fears. Hopefully, someone diagnosed can let me know their experiences.

Also, I was wondering how to interpret the results? Like what are the ranges and stuff?
Thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

Oh i understand that axiety. :)

No actually, i didn't find out until a week later.

Each lab does it just a bit differently. For example, my ttg IGA was 37 (with 1-19 normal, 20-29 low positive, 30+ high positive).

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,562 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

It was at least a week for me too. Hang in there.

I believe my ttg IgA test had a 0-20 range too, anything above 20 was positive. Did the doctor check your total serum IgA too? That's the test to make sure you have enough IgA so your test could show an elevated ttg IgA (if you have it).

Use this time to eat your favourite "gluteny" snacks and finish off pastas or breads so if you need to make the switch to gluten-free eating, you'll be on your way. Good luck!
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 Jonoh

Jonoh

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

Thanks very much for the replies :D has helped calm me down somewhat, Wednesday can't come fast enough to be honest, lol.

I just realised I think I got the name of the test wrong! I can't remember what the test was now (grr, damn memory), but I remember the Doctor saying that this is a "specific test for Celiac, and there isn't really a full panel," when I inquired about it. I think it was actually endomysial antibodies? Ah well thanks again guys, I guess I'll just have to wait and see :)

Edited by Jonoh, 04 February 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#5 guest134

guest134

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

Don't worry about the results, I know that is easier said than done but really Celiac is not that bad of a disease. Believe it or not anxiety can be a huge symptom of it and going gluten free often completely diminishes the angst from undiagnosed Celiac patients. What led you to Celiac testing?

#6 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

Thanks very much for the replies :D has helped calm me down somewhat, Wednesday can't come fast enough to be honest, lol.

I just realised I think I got the name of the test wrong! I can't remember what the test was now (grr, damn memory), but I remember the Doctor saying that this is a "specific test for Celiac, and there isn't really a full panel," when I inquired about it. I think it was actually endomysial antibodies? Ah well thanks again guys, I guess I'll just have to wait and see :)

are you in Canada?

#7 Jonoh

Jonoh

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

are you in Canada?

Nah, I'm from England :)

Don't worry about the results, I know that is easier said than done but really Celiac is not that bad of a disease. Believe it or not anxiety can be a huge symptom of it and going gluten free often completely diminishes the angst from undiagnosed Celiac patients. What led you to Celiac testing?

Yeah, I can vouch that anxiety surely does cause symptoms. If I do have celiac, I hope the anxiety will go on a gluten free diet. Being a health worrier, I've been spending waay too much time on google, lol. Celiac is the first disease which fits every last one of my symptoms, so I've asked the Doctor for it. I'm aware that it could be something completely different, but I did do a small gluten free break a while back, and I did seem to feel better. I dunno, I guess a part of me kinda wants it to be celiac, 'cause then at least it can be controlled by what I eat *sigh*

#8 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

A good number of us are non celiac gluten intolerant, or came back negative for celiac. Worth sticking around even if tests are negative, especially if you think a gluten-free diet might help. I had rthe whole symptoms match thing, and am doing way better gluten-free, despite negative tests, including genetic. am in the UK too :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#9 Jonoh

Jonoh

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

A good number of us are non celiac gluten intolerant, or came back negative for celiac. Worth sticking around even if tests are negative, especially if you think a gluten-free diet might help. I had rthe whole symptoms match thing, and am doing way better gluten-free, despite negative tests, including genetic. am in the UK too :)

I didn't even take the idea of non-celiac gluten intolerance into account! Thanks for that, I'll definitely look it up. Does it cause the same symptoms of Celiac?

Just an update, I got my results. The celiac was negative, but it was an IGA test, so could have been so 'cause I'm IGA deficient, I dunno. I do have a deficiency in b12 and folic acid, so am on supplements for 2 months, will see if my b12 has gone up at the end of it to see if I'm having problems with absorption. I also got referred to a gastro, so we'll see what they have to say. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to get an endoscopy, never had one, and not looking forward to it :blink: lol.

#10 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

I am still mystified by which tests the nhs do. They are fond of the old biopsy though. It isn't nearly as bad as you probably think it will be. Remember to stay on the gluten until testing is done.

The NCGI symptoms are often very similar, but without the villi damage and antibodies. Still a fairly new area of research, but very interesting. My GI diagnosed me after negative tests including genetic, but strong response to gluten challenge and positive response to gluten-free.

Good luck with the next stage, ask lots of questions :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: