Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Why Don't I Get Sick Right When I Eat Gluten?

13 posts in this topic

I have always noticed that I usually don't feel sick for an hour or sometimes hours after I have eaten something that contained gluten.. I have been reading a lot of posts and it seems like a lot of people feel the effects almost immediately.. For example if I eat dinner.. I may feel fine the rest of the night and think I have successfully avoided gluten, but then I find myself awake at 1am covered in sweat and rolling around in bed with horrible stomach pains..

Is there a reason that it doesn't hit me right away? There are times when I start feeling sick within an hour and then I know i'll be stuck on the couch the rest of the night but more often it hits me later.. i'm just curious

I have no idea why. When we went out to eat recently I got sick as soon as we got home and stayed in the bathroom for a LONG time that night. My tummy was torn up bad! It took about a week before my stomach pains ended. Last night I think it was the chili we ate on a hotdog and that didn't effect me till this morning.

Today I'm rolling in the bed, I hate when I don't check something good enough and pay for it!

Everyone is different. :)

who knows really :) it could be something to do with how you personally matabolize things.

I think it's because we are all individual and not everything effects us all in the same way. It may also be different on each occasion we get glutened too.

Sometimes takes a couple of days before I am sick after glutening. I get tired on the first day and anxious, migraine the second day, then sickness and D the next day. It takes about a week to get over it usually.

Same thing happens to me. Seems to take a few hours and sometimes my stomach doesnt hurt until the next meal. This makes it really hard to figure out what it was that you got glutened from.

Sometimes takes a couple of days before I am sick after glutening. I get tired on the first day and anxious, migraine the second day, then sickness and D the next day. It takes about a week to get over it usually.

That's very interesting. I had a migraine yesterday (and part of the previous day) about midnight last night I started with nausea and stomach cramping and constant visits to the bathroom. I may re-commence my food diary, to see if it sheds any light on my situation.

Could be the amount of gluten you're getting. I can only think of a couple of times when I had an immediate reaction (D) and I'm pretty sure it was due to the large amount of gluten the food was contaminated with. My usual reaction to a small amount of contamination is a migraine the next afternoon, with bloating, gas and other stomach issues coming the day after that.

I've noticed a lot of people on here getting migraine after been contaminated with gluten.

It takes 4-8 hours for me to get a reaction also. I think that my body is ok until the gluten hits my intestines. Then its the D. Usually this is about 1-2 am and I wake up and have to go. For me I have in the past always gotten CC'd at dinner time- at a restaurant or others' house. When I get immediately sick, its a CC combo of gluten and dairy. When I used to drink caffeine, my reactions were a little faster, say 2-4 hours. I think its the speed of your digestion and when the gluten hits the part of your guts that trips the trigger.

I suggest 2-3 doses of probiotics right away to help. That much probiotics usually is pretty hard on my stomach but after CC, it helps shorten the duration to under a day. - I picture the probiotics in my guts as trigger happy marines. They go in shoot up the place then burn it down. Its not peaceful, but they get er done. :)

Wow this was really helpful.. I always thought it was strange that it didn't hit me right away.. now I feel much better!! :D Thanks everyone for your responses!

It takes me 1-2 days to react most of the time. The previous poster's thought of it being a more minor CC that takes a couple days to show up is my thought as well. I am careful not to consume direct gluten, but suck at being lax and eating out and taking the chance of CC. It is hard that it takes a couple days to show up, it makes it harder for me to pin point what made me sick.

It takes me 1-2 days to react most of the time. The previous poster's thought of it being a more minor CC that takes a couple days to show up is my thought as well. I am careful not to consume direct gluten, but suck at being lax and eating out and taking the chance of CC. It is hard that it takes a couple days to show up, it makes it harder for me to pin point what made me sick.

I think it varies from person to person.