7 replies to this topic

#1 Kathi Jones

Kathi Jones

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

I have had migranes for a while now and have gotton to the point that i am having 20 plus a month. I have been getting IV magnesium and ending up in the ER for IV meds. I was diagnosed on Friday with Celiacs disease. I was wondering if anyone has had migranes before they were diagnosed and did it get better after taking Gluten out of your diet. Thanks for the input.
Kathi from Overland Park KS

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,245 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

I didn't have as many as you, but my are almost completely gone. They can be a hormonal thing, too.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Yes, I used to suffer terribly from migraines on almost a daily basis; however, after going gluten free, I never had another one. Yay!

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Yes! I had migraines about half of the time and now they happen only a day or two a month! Yay!

My migraines did get worse before they got better though; I went through a withdrawl for a week or two and that migraine was a doozey... but it was also my last multi day one that I've had in 6+months. :)

I hope you find relief.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

Many migraines here. Much better after gluten free. Now when I do get a migraine, I can trace it to some hidden gluten.

Have you checked all your meds for gluten? Maybe other sources?

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

turkey-hiding.gif

#6 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

Migraines here too. I ate something gluteny at a party last week and along with the digestive issues came the migraines. I am on day 3 of them. It's pretty common. Hopefully yours get better on the gluten free diet too.

#7 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

I also had chronic migraines and was on preventative meds for them. Gluten free didn't make much difference (they came on after I had been gluten and dairy free for a long time). For me, I needed to work with a chiropractor to resolve posture/alignment issues.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#8 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

Migraines too! Gone from losing several days a month in bed to maybe an afternoon around my period. Unless I get glutened, then hey presto, kicks in second day.

All sounds like good news on this front.

Remember you need to be eating gluten until all blood tests and biopsies are done.

Good luck, ask lots of questions as you get to grips with the diagnosis and diet.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: