Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

gluten-free Batter For Jalapeno Poppers?

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a gluten-free batter recipe for jalapeno poppers? Trying so hard to find one for my dad because he misses making them. All I can find are bread crumbs or bacon. Grrr.

Ads by Google:

I use something to batter things like that --- the recipe is missing from my notebook -- but I'll find it -- basically I use pamela's bread mix then add stuff to make it thinner. PM to remind me if no one else pops on with a solution.

That would be very much appreciated, thank you. :)

Have you googled gluten-free poppers or onion rings? Something like this? Lots of people make poppers with a bread crumb outside so that's why you might find that.

http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/sidedishes/r/Gluten-Free-Onion-Ring-Recipe.htm

Yeah, I did. I don't want to use bread crumbs though, I want to try and get the batter to be as close to the real deal as possible. Deep frying things with bread crumbs just isn't the same. I'm from the south originally, I miss my old deep fried goodness. :P

You could try just dipping the popper into an egg and milk mxture and then into seasoned AL gluten-free flour.  I have nto had any luck with batters and deep frying.

Every time the batter seems to run off and through the fry cage so when I am done all I have is fried food with the batter lying  at the bottom of the fryer :P

http://glutenfreegirl.com/the-newlywed-kitchen/

Down a ways on the page is her recipe for onion rings made with a batter. Might work.

Thanks! I will try it soon and report back to you guys! :)

All I use for this type of dish is a tempura batter which is naturally gluten free, anyway.  White rice flour and club soda (beer is better if you have a gluten-free version you like).  Mix but allow some lumps.  This is best deep fried.  Don't forget to season lots!

All I use for this type of dish is a tempura batter which is naturally gluten free, anyway.  White rice flour and club soda (beer is better if you have a gluten-free version you like).  Mix but allow some lumps.  This is best deep fried.  Don't forget to season lots!

Oh my goodness....I love you... L2T - so simple...going to try with left over beer purchased for "Pat".  So glad I popped on this evening :)

Oh my goodness....I love you... L2T - so simple...going to try with left over beer purchased for "Pat".  So glad I popped on this evening :)

Do try it if you have not.  Tempura is classic, simple and as already said gluten free anyway.  So fabulous with fondue, calamari and so on.