Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

gluten-free Batter For Jalapeno Poppers?

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 kristenloeh

kristenloeh

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

Does anyone have a gluten-free batter recipe for jalapeno poppers? Trying so hard to find one for my dad because he misses making them. All I can find are bread crumbs or bacon. Grrr.

Diagnosed Celiac 04.2012
Gluten-Free 04.2012

Diagnosed Pituitary Prolactinoma 12.2012

Low Cortisol/Possible Addison's Disease 02.2013

Maybe one day I will feel "normal" again. <3

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

I use something to batter things like that --- the recipe is missing from my notebook -- but I'll find it -- basically I use pamela's bread mix then add stuff to make it thinner. PM to remind me if no one else pops on with a solution.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 kristenloeh

kristenloeh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

That would be very much appreciated, thank you. :)

Diagnosed Celiac 04.2012
Gluten-Free 04.2012

#4 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

Have you googled gluten-free poppers or onion rings? Something like this? Lots of people make poppers with a bread crumb outside so that's why you might find that.

http://glutenfreecoo...Ring-Recipe.htm

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#5 kristenloeh

kristenloeh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

Yeah, I did. I don't want to use bread crumbs though, I want to try and get the batter to be as close to the real deal as possible. Deep frying things with bread crumbs just isn't the same. I'm from the south originally, I miss my old deep fried goodness. :P

Diagnosed Celiac 04.2012
Gluten-Free 04.2012

#6 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

The only other way i can think of is to experiment.

#7 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

http://glutenfreegir...wlywed-kitchen/

Down a ways on the page is her recipe for onion rings made with a batter. Might work.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#8 ajnemajrje

ajnemajrje

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

You could try just dipping the popper into an egg and milk mxture and then into seasoned AL gluten-free flour.  I have nto had any luck with batters and deep frying.

Every time the batter seems to run off and through the fry cage so when I am done all I have is fried food with the batter lying  at the bottom of the fryer :P

#9 kristenloeh

kristenloeh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:07 AM

http://glutenfreegir...wlywed-kitchen/

Down a ways on the page is her recipe for onion rings made with a batter. Might work.

Thanks! I will try it soon and report back to you guys! :)

Diagnosed Celiac 04.2012
Gluten-Free 04.2012

#10 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

All I use for this type of dish is a tempura batter which is naturally gluten free, anyway.  White rice flour and club soda (beer is better if you have a gluten-free version you like).  Mix but allow some lumps.  This is best deep fried.  Don't forget to season lots!

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#11 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

All I use for this type of dish is a tempura batter which is naturally gluten free, anyway.  White rice flour and club soda (beer is better if you have a gluten-free version you like).  Mix but allow some lumps.  This is best deep fried.  Don't forget to season lots!

Oh my goodness....I love you... L2T - so simple...going to try with left over beer purchased for "Pat".  So glad I popped on this evening :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#12 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Oh my goodness....I love you... L2T - so simple...going to try with left over beer purchased for "Pat".  So glad I popped on this evening :)

Do try it if you have not.  Tempura is classic, simple and as already said gluten free anyway.  So fabulous with fondue, calamari and so on.

<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: