4 replies to this topic

#1 sisterlynr

sisterlynr

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

I read the online copy that is pinned regarding types of DH. It was obvious that DH has been around for many years and doctors did not know the cause. I have had all of the various types of lesion presentations that were mentioned in this book.

I had to chuckle when reading the article when he stated it was a mental and nervous issue. If the book is still referenced by doctors today, this may be why Dermatologists ask patients to see a mental health doctor. I can imagine doctors thinking it was mental/nervous due to the intense itching, burning and stinging when they weren't aware of the cause.

Misdiagnosed DH symptoms for 30 years in the form of blisters on shoulders, scalp, sole of foot and lower back.
Type II Diabetes 1995  /   Fatty liver biopsy 2001  ~ Diagnosed with NH Lymphoma in 2007 metastasized to bones & Stage IV by 2008 Chemotherapy in 2008 ~ Breakout of rash from scalp to sole of feet. February 28, 2012 until present
Iron deficiency anemia - July of 2012  /  
Osteoarthritis. September 2012  2012 Rash was diagnosed as Eczema, Grover's Disease, Folliculitis per biopsies of the lesions. September 2012   Started Dapsone and Gluten-Free diet on October 20, 2012 ~ Diag DH 2012.  Not taking Dapsone due to sulfa reaction.  Biopsy in July 2013 indicates Lupus but my doctors do not agree on cause of rash for various reasons.  

~Lyn~

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 learning2cope

learning2cope

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Online copy of what book where? Is the book way out of date? If so why would it be pinned (here?) anywhere? I'm confused.

#3 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

It is pinned here:

http://www.celiac.co...ns-of-dh-types/

And if you read the entire thread, your questions will be answered.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#4 sisterlynr

sisterlynr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

Online copy of what book where? Is the book way out of date? If so why would it be pinned (here?) anywhere? I'm confused.

Check the first discussion that is titled "Descriptions of DH".   One reason it was pinned was for reference.  Doctors way back in the day have noted the appearances of many skin issues. The book is very old.

It is common for Dermatologists to tell patients they need to see a mental health doctor for their DH.  I saw several posts on this site and thought, why would a doctor think this was a mental issue?  Well, it happened to me!   :D   The 4th Dermatologist looked at my skin and told me that it was all in my 'mind'.  He told me that I would see a spot and scratch it and then it would be itchy and presto . . . I would have a rash and it would soon be over my whole body.  I was in total disbelief and shock!  I looked at him and told him, "Baloney".  

The subject of mental health was mentioned in the reference that is pinned, along with great descriptions of DH.  Several have asked on this site if DH had to present in a blister form.  

I saw my 5th Dermatologist just this past month.  In discussing my previous biopsies and doctors, I told him about the doctor telling me 'it was in my head'.  This last Dermatologist is the head of Dermatology at the University here.  He examined me, told me it was Dermatitis Herpetiformis due to the results of being gluten-free and on Dapsone.  I also had photos of the blisters before they started healing.  He then offered me an explanation as to why the other doctor would tell me such.  Not sure what your skin looks like but mine has thickened and is a dark reddish color in several areas.  The rash coated me like a blanket on my belly, back and buttocks. ( He told me that some people can scratch for no apparent reason and their skin will have the same appearance and the other doctor probably felt I needed medication to calm 'me', so I wouldn't scratch.)  He was kind to even address this but it sure didn't change my opinion of the other doctor.  

When I read the pinned article it made me think that if still used in colleges or universities, this could be the reason so many Dermatologist tell their patients to see a psychiatrist.  Hope this alleviates your confusion as to why I wrote this post. 

Misdiagnosed DH symptoms for 30 years in the form of blisters on shoulders, scalp, sole of foot and lower back.
Type II Diabetes 1995  /   Fatty liver biopsy 2001  ~ Diagnosed with NH Lymphoma in 2007 metastasized to bones & Stage IV by 2008 Chemotherapy in 2008 ~ Breakout of rash from scalp to sole of feet. February 28, 2012 until present
Iron deficiency anemia - July of 2012  /  
Osteoarthritis. September 2012  2012 Rash was diagnosed as Eczema, Grover's Disease, Folliculitis per biopsies of the lesions. September 2012   Started Dapsone and Gluten-Free diet on October 20, 2012 ~ Diag DH 2012.  Not taking Dapsone due to sulfa reaction.  Biopsy in July 2013 indicates Lupus but my doctors do not agree on cause of rash for various reasons.  

~Lyn~

#5 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

A psychologist told me that the DH on my back and scalp was self harming (!!!!!! :o ).

Doc told me that I was spreading it by scratching it !!!!

This was some years ago and although I had no idea what it was myself - I did know that I WASN'T self harming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: