Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

13 posts in this topic

Hi all

I am currently managing a gluten free diet and weight loss and am enjoying protein shakes in the mornings to kick start my metabolism. A while ago I had found a recipe to make low calorie chocolate cookies out of the protein shake mixture and they were delicious and a good low calorie treat. I am currently loving my strawberry flavored protein shake and am wondering if anyone has any recipes for low calorie desserts that can be made with the strawberry flavoring? Recipes for other flavors are also most welcome. A word of caution to those that are new to protein shakes you have to be careful to check ingredients as a lot are not gluten free.

Thanks all for your contributions. I am loving reading the wealth of knowledge in the forums and have only recently signed up.

Ads by Google:

Hi! I always prefer the vanilla shakes because I can add whatever flavors I want -- I have a cupboard full of extracts like, vanilla, orange, coconut, almond, etc. I drank a lot of these when I lost weight around five years ago.

I used to make a quick morning "muffin" out of powdered protein shakes. Mix the powder with 1 egg or 1/4 cup egg white, sweetener if desired and maybe some ground flax seed, dried cranberries, and/or nuts.

Put this in a coffee cup, no need to grease it, the egg keeps it from sticking. Nuke it for around a minute, maybe 1 and 1/2, depending on the oven.

It looks weird on the outside, but when you slice it, it looks like bread.

Another thing I always made was soft-serve "ice cream" by blending the shake mix with a cup of ice, around 1/2 cup water, and a few tablespoons low fat cream cheese. Add sweeteners if desired. You need a powerful blender for this, or use one of those trays that makes tiny ice cubes so the ice can be crushed more easily in the blender. Blend until super smooth.

You can put it in the freezer for a bit if it's too runny.

Hmmm... you're inspiring me. Maybe I'll make some of these again!

Hi! I always prefer the vanilla shakes because I can add whatever flavors I want -- I have a cupboard full of extracts like, vanilla, orange, coconut, almond, etc. I drank a lot of these when I lost weight around five years ago.

I used to make a quick morning "muffin" out of powdered protein shakes. Mix the powder with 1 egg or 1/4 cup egg white, sweetener if desired and maybe some ground flax seed, dried cranberries, and/or nuts.

Put this in a coffee cup, no need to grease it, the egg keeps it from sticking. Nuke it for around a minute, maybe 1 and 1/2, depending on the oven.

It looks weird on the outside, but when you slice it, it looks like bread.

Another thing I always made was soft-serve "ice cream" by blending the shake mix with a cup of ice, around 1/2 cup water, and a few tablespoons low fat cream cheese. Add sweeteners if desired. You need a powerful blender for this, or use one of those trays that makes tiny ice cubes so the ice can be crushed more easily in the blender. Blend until super smooth.

You can put it in the freezer for a bit if it's too runny.

Hmmm... you're inspiring me. Maybe I'll make some of these again!

How much powder do you put in the muffins? Wondering if we could get my mom to eat one

How much powder do you put in the muffins? Wondering if we could get my mom to eat one

Hmm. this was Medifast protein powder, so it came in a pre-measured packet. Now I use EAS low carb powder in single serving packets. One packet is 41 grams, which looks to be around 1/4 to 1/3 cup. The recipe is pretty flexible -- if it comes out too 'wet' I just flip it over and nuke it a bit more.

Hmm. this was Medifast protein powder, so it came in a pre-measured packet. Now I use EAS low carb powder in single serving packets. One packet is 41 grams, which looks to be around 1/4 to 1/3 cup. The recipe is pretty flexible -- if it comes out too 'wet' I just flip it over and nuke it a bit more.

Thanks. I might see if we can slide one by her.

I have never heard of these protein packets but I'm intrigued - partly because of the low carb options. This mighr be a stupid question, but what other ingredients can you add to the shakes?

I have a Melaleuca nutrition shake (Crave Blocker) which I like and if I have one for breakfast, it really gets me through the morning.

It states that it is gluten-free. However it says on the list of ingredients that it contains (a small percentage of) barley fiber. How can they claim it is gluten-free when it has barley fiber in the ingredients? ( have heard that if it contains less than a certain amount of gluten, a company can claim it is gluten-free. Is this true?)

I am not celiac, but gluten intolerant (I have a gliaden count of 8).  I do not notice any symptoms when I drink it, (No intestinal gurgling, or pain.) I suspect that either the fiber contains no gluten, or that it is not enough to disturb me. Any comments?

Yes, the ingredients say barley fiber, this is not safe for someone with Celiac Disease.  It is also made on the same machinery as wheat products therefore there is a high chance of cc.  I can only assume that they must mean "wheat gluten free".  There is no statement of it being gluten free on the package that I can see from the picture but in the search option on the website it is under gluten free.  A product must measure 20 ppm or under to be considered gluten free.  I don't think I would trust this company. 

Colleen

Try "Komplete" by Kate Farms. It's a gluten, soy, and dairy free meal replacement shake. I just have one in the mornings instead of a full breakfast and it has enough protein to keep me full until the afternoon. 
Hope this helped! :) 

Orgain shakes are pretty good. Or you can make your own with whey powder and different fruits.

Hi, I am new to the forum, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if GNC Total Lean shakes are gluten free? I called their 800 # & someone told me that they were in fact gluten free, but I wanted to check with other fellow celiacs to get your perspectives. Thank you

Hi, and Welcome to the Forum.

The label does not have wheat barley or rye listed.

Colleen

Hi thank you Colleen, I just wanted to to be sure before I spent a lot of money on something that I will to throw away. It gets tiring dialing 800 #s & looking up websites every time I want to eat something ha ha