39 replies to this topic

#31 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

What brand coconut water do you use Lady? I tried some one time and it was disgusting. Maybe it is because I used to live in Hawaii and know what fresh coconut off the tree tastes like idk
Gluten and Oat Free 6/'12
Dairy, Corn and Yeast free 7/'12
Nightshade Free, Candida diet & low salicylates 8/'12
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12
No longer Reacting to yeasty breads 10/'12
Test confirmed yeast overgrowth, back on Candida diet 11/'12

You only get one life so make it count.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:03 AM

Hi Razzell
I have Vitacoco and Cocofina.
Have never had it before and when I first tasted it thought Eeww! - slightly odd and rather sweet :blink:.
It must be an acquired taste because 24 hours later it was Yum! - give me more :D .

#33 Chaff

Chaff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

Did someone mention fructose intolerance? Could be that. It's a common thing for us within 2 years of going gluten-free while everything heals. A total mind game to suss out, though, since its in, like, everything.

Try plain white rice as your only carb, no sweet things at all, and see if it helps. If it does, PM me and I can suggest some low fructose stuff and dextrose sources that would be safe. Sounds like you're close to that diet already, too.

celiac, hypothyroid, hereditary hemochromatosis

#34 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:45 AM

Did someone mention fructose intolerance? Could be that. It's a common thing for us within 2 years of going gluten-free while everything heals.

I haven't seen any info on that.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#35 Chaff

Chaff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

Just do a search on the boards here. A lot of people say fructose gave them problems initially. But not most people for sure.

#36 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

Just do a search on the boards here. A lot of people say fructose gave them problems initially. But not most people for sure.

I think we sometimes forget that these boards do not represent the majority of Celiacs. Most of them are not on forums and boards.

So I think to state as a fact that "It's a common thing for us within 2 years of going gluten-free" is a bit misleading.

If you have read a good article about that, then we would love a link to it.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#37 Chaff

Chaff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Well, I'm not a doctor. And most folks go off gluten and do just fine. But if you want robust studies on food intolerances connected to leaky gut, I would also love very much to see them. I'm desperate for serious medical research into the subject. Until then, we have outlier anecdotal evidence. It's not ideal.

The fact is that fructose malabsorption issues are still not well understood, and their connection to the increased intestinal permeability brought on by damage due to gluten in undiagnosed celiacs has never been a direct subject of scientific research. I do wish they'd get in the ball with it, honestly. Until then we celiacs with odd problems like this are left to look to each other for hunches and advice yo go to our doctors with.

I'm taking my hunches to the Mayo Clinic next month for testing, and have sent away for genetic testing as well to look for other possible causes, since what I have is unusually severe (though two others here have told me they had the same going gluten-free). But I wouldn't have known where to start without folks here passing along their ideas and experiences.

All of which is to say, yes, I totally agree with you.

#38 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

What brand coconut water do you use Lady? I tried some one time and it was disgusting. Maybe it is because I used to live in Hawaii and know what fresh coconut off the tree tastes like idk

I like Amy and Brian Coconut Juice brand the best. Blue Monkey is second. If you consider it tastes like water, it is wonderfully sweet. However, if you are expecting soda like flavor, it will be a big disappointment!

#39 Chaff

Chaff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

I think we sometimes forget that these boards do not represent the majority of Celiacs. Most of them are not on forums and boards.

So I think to state as a fact that "It's a common thing for us within 2 years of going gluten-free" is a bit misleading.

If you have read a good article about that, then we would love a link to it.

OK, started a new thread on that here: http://www.celiac.co...literature-say/

#40 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

If you have a dry mouth your food won't have as much taste, and dry mouth can be caused by vitamin deficiencies in a few of the B's and A. Vitamins take a long time to build back up if you're low, especially if you have damaged intestines.

Also, I could only find a local gluten-free buckwheat flour, everything else had cc.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: