arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Two Months In And Food Intolerances Are Growing! Why?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

So, I am two and half months in after being "labelled" NCGI. I was given Aciphex to control the extreme acidity and erosion of my esophagus and told that my other symptoms would start to improve after a couple months. Unfortunately, that has not happened. Instead, itseems my tolerance for foods has lessened. A month after my negative biopsy, I realized, I had become intolerant to dairy - something I had expected to a point given the state of my gut. However, I figured that would be the end of it, hopefully! Because of my dairy intolerance I thought I would try the So Delicious Coconut ice cream - definitely delicious and no ill effects. This past weekend I saw they had a no sugar added variety and because of my diabetes, I figured that might be better than the other. I tried it two nights ago and was okay that night but later on, not so much. As an experiment to confirm it was that food that had given me the problem, I ate it again...same issues. I'm trying to figure out whether it was some added ingredient in the NSA variety or if it is the So Delicious brand in general. I have heard people have had reactions to the carageenan in that, but figured I was okay because I haven't reacted to the yogurt that had it in it or the first So Delicious brand I tried. However, maybe like everything else, I am growing intolerant to that too.

I guess my question is, is it normal to have growing food intolerances two months into the gluten-free diet? If so, why? All I know, is that it becomes very frustrating to have to keep adding foods to my do-not-eat list. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

It is possible that you are better able to distinguish food problems now. That seemed to be the case for me. You get one big culprit out of the way and your body isn't overwhelmed with that anymore. Then it is more able to alert you that something is wrong with what you are still eating. I also had cross contamination problems that kept me feeling low and withdrawl. Give yourself time to cope with these. Keep refining your scrutinizing and making it better and better.

Keep at it! You are on the right road. For every food I haven't been able to eat anymore, I find two or three things to substitute with. I have used almond milk, coconut milk, and hazlenut milk for example.

It seems odd to me to have too much acidicity in your stomach. I take a little hydrochloric acid to help with digestion.

Get well***

Diana

#3 Sarahsmile416

Sarahsmile416

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the help. :) Hazelnut milk sounds really good - I've never seen that in any of the stores near me though :(

#4 designerstubble

designerstubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Hi there
I'm 5 months gluten free (just), I have had SO many allergies and intolerances since I began gluten free. Dairy was the first, soy next, then eggs, citrus fruit (caused terrible asthma and bad ezcema), quinoa (asthma again), and now corn (which is really upsetting me as corn is everywhere)... Recently had a few reactions to corn, just like eating gluten :( the reaction last night from blowing up a balloon or baking my son's birthday cake (don't know which it was?).... So yes, it's very possible to have growing problems with food intolerances and allergies.

I've had some great advice on here though, and some great people on here keep telling me to hang on in there. And that's precisely what I aim to do. It's hard. I'm currently depressed about corn (very recent intolerance)... I keep wondering how much food I will be able to eat... I'm vegetarian too so it's very difficult.
But... On a day to day level, I feel ok! And isn't that wonderful! My energy has picked up since taking iron etc feel much better generally. So something must be right?? I also gave up smoking and sugar when I went gluten-free. My poor poor body! I just keep telling myself that my body has gone a bit haywire and is just rewiring itself (and sometimes getting it wrong for a bit)!

It's hard to be positive, don't I just know it. But it's the only way. Some of the guys on here are an inspiration with their positivity... So I figure they are probably right...

Good luck, have a good rant on here! I have been on here all day complaining!! Makes me feel tons better!

Diagnosed Celiac Oct 2012 (Blood and Biopsy)
Gluten free / Dairy free / Caffeine / Almost sugar free / Tobacco free 2012. Corn free 2013
Vegetarian since 1986 / Asthmatic since 1990 / Migraines since 1998

Symptoms: Classical GI symptoms. Fibromyalgia. Odd pains. Bone aches. Severe headaches. Severe depression. Anxiety. Diagnosed with severe anaemia. Severe Vit D deficiency. Boderline Folate & B12 Defiency.

Since being gluten free... initially felt better for a month, still suffer with loose bowels, am currently struggling with many more allergies and intolerances to foods, such as dairy, egg, celery, oranges, tomatoes, quinoa, seeds,... Pressure hives (from Feb 2013) / Having bad leg aches during periods (June 2013)

(Marked in bold, these problems have been resolved)

#5 Chaff

Chaff

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

Grrr. Because out digestive symptoms are drama queens. Just when you think you get it, it all changes on you.

I hear it gets easier, so hang on. When I feel sad, I read the Crohn's boards and thank my lucky stars.
celiac (positive tTg, negative biopsy), hypothyroid, hereditary hemochromatosis
live in Okinawa, Japan; hope to resume training for ultra-marathon soon

casein-free, legume-free; 99% fructose-free

I cope by drinking artisanal teas, hand-picked in Taiwan, all gluten-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: