This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Northeast Blizzard

GF Lover

GF Lover Rising Star

Open Original Shared Link

Looks like this one could be aweful. I will be sending warming thoughts and prayers your way.

Be safe!!!

Colleen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Looks like this one could be aweful. I will be sending warming thoughts and prayers your way.

Be safe!!!

Colleen

Excellent use of a smiley!

IrishHeart Veteran

Once we teach 'em how to use 'em , there's no stopping 'em now. :lol:

Thanks for the well wishes, Colleen! xx

If I can survive the Blizzard of '78, I can survive this one too.

(that one was a doozy!)

Opa3 Apprentice

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers . I got my new 10K generator ready. A lesson from Storm Sandy.

bartfull Rising Star

I was there for the blizzard of '78. By the time they let us out of work it was 3:30 and the snow was already over the bumpers of our cars. I had a VW Beetle and my Dad (who worked in the same place) followed me home. He told me not to stop for any reason - even at the stop signs! He said just roll down your window so you can see if anyone is coming, and if they are, slow down enough to let them get past and then just pull out around them. He was driving a pickup truck and he said if he slid off the road I should just keep going as he wouldn't be going fast enough to get hurt. We had a LONG and very steep hill to climb on the way home. Cars were sliding down sideways at me but I just drove around them. My trysty VW never skidded once. Dad made it home a few minutes after I arrived and we all stayed home for the next three days. Governor Ella Grasso shut the state down. The only vehicles allowed on the roads were snowplows and emergency vehicles.

My sister had a four-year-old boy with a 106 fever at the time. He was hospitalized and my sister and her husband stayed at the hospital for those three days. They never did figure out what was wrong with him but by the time the blizzard was over his fever was down and they let them all go home.

Some of my co-workers never made it home until it was all over. One guy in particular had quite the story to tell. He was driving on I-395 on his way from Moosup Ct. to Putnam. He couldn't go anymore so he pulled into a closed down rest area. There were a few other people who had also pulled in there. There was no electrity or heat there as it had been closed down for a couple of years. They ended up pulling the molding off the walls and burning them for heat. Finally the a snowplow noticed the smoke and pulled in. They were eventually all driven home.

I now live in "the banana belt" of South Dakota where they have NEVER had such a storm. All my friends thought I'd move back to Ct. after the first winter. But in the nine years I have lived here we have only had one major storm. We got two feet that day, and by two days later it had all melted. Other than that, six or seven inches is the biggest storm I have seen and those are very infrequent.

I think I'll call my friends to see if they are OK and I'll TRY not to brag too much about the 50 degree weather we have had here for the past couple of weeks! :lol:

GF Lover Rising Star

I am now a smiley master. Open Original Shared Link

IrishHeart Veteran

cheering-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gif bravo

You're a nutball. (and I like that in a girl.....)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sora Community Regular

You guys are so funny. Thanks for the laugh.

(must check out this smiley thingy)

IrishHeart Veteran

You guys are so funny. Thanks for the laugh.

(must check out this smiley thingy)

Sweetie. Go here.

right click on the one you want, then left click on "copy image"

I know you like kitties, so here!

ecstatic-cat-jumping-smiley-emoticon.gif

IrishHeart Veteran

My Blizzard of '78 story:

I was 21.

College classes were cancelled for a week. (unheard of in Boston)

I had some very fun friends and we liked to go to clubs.

It was 1978. I was young, I had a Farrah Fawcett hairdo!!.

You fill in the blanks.

batting-eyelashes-smiley-emoticon.gif

sora Community Regular

chef.gifYay! I did it first try.

Banana bread is in the oven.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Wow, I am impressed. My hair would never take a Farrah Fawcett, but I thought she was so cool. I managed a floppy Lady Di for a while, but it wasn't very good :)

Oh, and good luck in the storm....

cahill Collaborator

We are going to just get the edge of the storm. They are predicting that most of the storm will be north of me.

**the storm of 78 ,, I was living in Virgina beach at the time but my family got hit hard **

I am smile faced challenged,, even with your instructions I STILL CAN NOT DO IT <_<

IrishHeart Veteran

I am smile faced challenged,, even with your instructions I STILL CAN NOT DO IT <_<

Keep trying. I was once emoticon challenged too and used to beg Karen, Jestgar and Peter to please do it for me. :lol:

Now, I am an emoticon-posting champ.

Loey Rising Star

Be safe!!!

Colleen

LOVE the smiley. We're near the epi-center of the storm (Westerly RI). Not as bad as Boston but definite threat of coastal flooding on top of storm.We were fortunate to only lose power for 3 days during Sandy and I pray we don't lose it this time. I can't imagine the amount of thermal layers I will need not have my bug turn into pneumonia. Wish we could have afforded a Power Generator after Sandy but with DH still unemployed there is no way. I pray that you all remain safe and STAY OFF THE ROADS!!!!! I'm hoping to make a trip to my chiropractor before it gets bad. Out of all my health issues my back is bothering me the most.

I'll be sending lots of positive energy, healing hugs, prayers and of course love to my forum family. If we don't lose power I'll try to keep you updated. We're a beach community still reeling from the devastation of Sandy. I hope that everyone gets through it without any devastation.

Loey

bartfull Rising Star

Hey Loey, is China Village still there? Do they have gluten-free, and are they as good as they used to be? I used to LOVE that place! Open Original Shared Link

Loey Rising Star

I was there for the blizzard of '78. By the time they let us out of work it was 3:30 and the snow was already over the bumpers of our cars. I had a VW Beetle and my Dad (who worked in the same place) followed me home. He told me not to stop for any reason - even at the stop signs! He said just roll down your window so you can see if anyone is coming, and if they are, slow down enough to let them get past and then just pull out around them. He was driving a pickup truck and he said if he slid off the road I should just keep going as he wouldn't be going fast enough to get hurt. We had a LONG and very steep hill to climb on the way home. Cars were sliding down sideways at me but I just drove around them. My trysty VW never skidded once. Dad made it home a few minutes after I arrived and we all stayed home for the next three days. Governor Ella Grasso shut the state down. The only vehicles allowed on the roads were snowplows and emergency vehicles.

My sister had a four-year-old boy with a 106 fever at the time. He was hospitalized and my sister and her husband stayed at the hospital for those three days. They never did figure out what was wrong with him but by the time the blizzard was over his fever was down and they let them all go home.

Some of my co-workers never made it home until it was all over. One guy in particular had quite the story to tell. He was driving on I-395 on his way from Moosup Ct. to Putnam. He couldn't go anymore so he pulled into a closed down rest area. There were a few other people who had also pulled in there. There was no electrity or heat there as it had been closed down for a couple of years. They ended up pulling the molding off the walls and burning them for heat. Finally the a snowplow noticed the smoke and pulled in. They were eventually all driven home.

I now live in "the banana belt" of South Dakota where they have NEVER had such a storm. All my friends thought I'd move back to Ct. after the first winter. But in the nine years I have lived here we have only had one major storm. We got two feet that day, and by two days later it had all melted. Other than that, six or seven inches is the biggest storm I have seen and those are very infrequent.

I think I'll call my friends to see if they are OK and I'll TRY not to brag too much about the 50 degree weather we have had here for the past couple of weeks! :lol:

What a story! And so glad you are out of it's path. I remember the storm of '78. I was a videotape editor at a PBS Station in Newark. I lived with my mother in West Orange, NJ. It was an uphill ride home at 8PM. We were there until the news aired. It took me 4 hours to get home. I'm sure I went in the next day. If had worked at CBS (I worked there for 10 years until I had my son) in '78 or today I would have been put up in a hotel and not allowed to go home because the news was on 24 hours a day. I remember stints like that during Desert Storm.

Anyway, I now live in RI. I'm pasting the current weather update I posted on the Tickle Your Elbow thread here:

We're starting to see the snow and winds increase here in Westerly, RI (40 miles south of Providence on the shoreline by Watch Hill & Misquamicut - still under repair from Sandy). Haven't seen our current accumulations on the local news or weather channel yet but we're in for 2-3 feet. Power outages are expected. How long they last is another story. RI, Ct., & Mass. seem to have a good early start to staying on top of things. They set up a 211 number for the elderly or ill who lose power. Crews from United Grid and other Power Companies are located all over the three States to respond as quickly as they can. DH & I have never been told to evacuate so hopefully our luck will continue. We're on a hill (Westerly is very hilly) and we don't get hit by flooding. High winds are another story. That did us in during Sandy. The storm pulled up several young trees we had had (?) planted but Rob replanted them. Two of them will most likely be uprooted as they never bounced back and are sickly. Rob had planned on removing them in the near future. Sandy didn't hit us very seriously compared to what others went through, it just caused inconvenience and a very cold few days.

I did get to my chiropractor this AM. On the way the snow got heavier but the trip still took the normal amount of time. On the way back the roads were bad. It took us twice as long to get home. The lines at the gas stations were incredible. I'm currently cooking a big pot of split pea soup with chicken and prosciuto (sp?). I figure if we do lose power we can eat that and the other stew I made last weekend without cooking. Superman (my DH, Rob is Superman for anyone unfamiliar with me yet) said it will be sludge - I think it will be tasty if there's a choice of that or pantry food. Did laundry this AM and already got flashlights, candles, matches, etc. in every room. We're just hunkering down until we're allowed back on the roads. Westerly banned and will be ticketing any non-essential people on the roads (as of 2PM- allowing those who went to work in the AM to get home) and there's a strict parking ban. I am so thankful we are blessed with a two car garage. During Sandy we watched movies on Superman's iPad in the car. In NJ our one car garage was too full to fit a car so one car was in our driveway and the other had to battle for a space in our small parking lot (we owned a townhouse there).

Ok, dear folks - please stay safe, warm and at home with those you love. You'll all be in my prayers. I'll update later when conditions change (while I still have power). I'm choosing to assume it's going to go out so I can be prepared and pleasantly surprised when it doesn't go out. For some reason my Kindle let's me read email and get on the forum but not send any replies or posts.

Love & Hugs,

Loey

Loey Rising Star

My Blizzard of '78 story:

I was 21.

College classes were cancelled for a week. (unheard of in Boston)

I had some very fun friends and we liked to go to clubs.

It was 1978. I was young, I had a Farrah Fawcett hairdo!!.

You fill in the blanks.

batting-eyelashes-smiley-emoticon.gif

BIG WIDE SMILE!!!! :D :D :D

Loey Rising Star

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers . I got my new 10K generator ready. A lesson from Storm Sandy.

So glad you have the generator. That's on my wish list for when DH gets a job. Feeling positive about 2013 so he WILL get a job!

Love, prayers & Hugs,

Loey

Adalaide Mentor

Hopefully at this point everyone is still warm and toasty and safe.

I was around for the '78 blizzard but I don't remember it, the whole being a month old thing really fogs the memory. I was too busy being the most obnoxious baby ever for blizzards or snow. I do recall a few truly epic snow and ice storms before I got out out of there. There was a night I went to bed just after some flurries started and woke up the next morning which was supposed to be my first day of a new job. Instead we had unexpectedly gotten 2 feet of snow and a state of emergency. <_< So glad I don't generally have to deal with weather extremes now, especially this winter crap.

Loey Rising Star

Hey Loey, is China Village still there? Do they have gluten-free, and are they as good as they used to be? I used to LOVE that place! Open Original Shared Link

Where was it? I live in Westerly. I'll Google it. I'm always up for a new gluten-free chinese (or any type of food) restaurant to try. I trained my local Chinese Restaurant on how to make my orders and even supply olive oil. My favorite local Thai Restaurant now buys olive oil for me - I'm extremely sensitive to soy but not cooked edamame ... hmm). Where in Ct. did you live. We moved here 3 years ago from NJ.

BTW, snow is coming down a lot harder since I started this post. I was on the phone for a while and came back. Seems my neighbor's DH had the same idea and they just finished their soup. Mine still needs to simmer. More later. Any tips from a former CT resident. I didn't live so close to the coast in NJ. I lived in Plainsboro, outside of Princeton and they were hammered by Sandy. I'm waiting to check in with my friends back there. Made the mistake of thinking my 21 year old son would be up by 1PM and called and woke him. Guess he knew yesterday he didn't have classes and had a late nite studying (snort - is there an emoticon for snort?). Oh well, bad mommy! He's in Providence at Brown.

Continue to stay safe my friends!

Hugs,

Loey

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I live in central CT and we've already got I'd say 3ish inches. I'm friends with a number of tow

truck drivers and they've been texting me pictures of the silly people already sliding off the road....

Opa3 Apprentice

So glad you have the generator. That's on my wish list for when DH gets a job. Feeling positive about 2013 so he WILL get a job!

Love, prayers & Hugs,

Loey

With Sandy, we were out of power for 4 days. Others had it worse and still do. Big $$$$ but we got a whole house genenator. Runs on natural gas 24/7/ forever. Just need to change the oil every 200 hours. On/Off is fully automatic. The idea of standing in a long line for some gasoline didn't appeal to us anymore. Hopefully it will add re-sale value to the property. The neighbors say "we'll be right over" if power goes out again. I tell them bring lots of cash :)

It's a peace-of mind insurance policy.

I do hope DH gets a job soon. I'm retired now, but my career had several periods of unemployment. I know how that is.

And many thanks for your love, prayers and hugs. Same back to you.

bartfull Rising Star

China Village was right downtown but I don't remember the street. One of the main ones though. I've been in SD for almost nine years now so it might not be there anymore although it had been there for a LONG LONG time, so maybe it still is. I grew up in Canterbury but lived in Plainfield, Voluntown, Lisbon, and Norwich at various times.

My tips for New England blizzards? GET OUT OF TOWN! :ph34r: But it's too late for that now. Sounds like you've got things covered. Eat well, lay low, and enjoy the "holiday".

We're actually supposed to get snow here tomorrow too. They said we might get "up to" six inches. Usually here in town we get less than out on the flats so I'm expecting maybe three or four. Not as exciting as what you've got going on, but I'll live with it. :lol:

Loey Rising Star

China Village was right downtown but I don't remember the street. One of the main ones though. I've been in SD for almost nine years now so it might not be there anymore although it had been there for a LONG LONG time, so maybe it still is. I grew up in Canterbury but lived in Plainfield, Voluntown, Lisbon, and Norwich at various times.

My tips for New England blizzards? GET OUT OF TOWN! :ph34r: But it's too late for that now. Sounds like you've got things covered. Eat well, lay low, and enjoy the "holiday".

We're actually supposed to get snow here tomorrow too. They said we might get "up to" six inches. Usually here in town we get less than out on the flats so I'm expecting maybe three or four. Not as exciting as what you've got going on, but I'll live with it. :lol:

Hopefully this won't be my last post but judging outside I'll be seriously surprised and grateful if we don't have a power outrage. DH says I'm being apocalyptic but I'm a very positive person and just think I'm being prepared. He just hates me wanting to keep the local news on for updates (though I get Accuweather through my email). Snow has increased as have the winds. We're re-watching Season 1 of Game of Thrones before starting Season 2 and are hoping to finish Season one and maybe start Season 2 tonight. It was warmer during Sandy so I don't know if we'd watch his iPad in one of the cars in the garage. Plows coming through constantly and I don't plan on going anywhere before Sunday (if then). Rescheduled an outing to Newport with friends for next weekend. OK, I'm supposed to be getting cozy and rejoining DH for TV. I'll let you know how we fare. I know it's going to be noisy and cold tonight.

Keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers.

Love, :wub: :wub:

Snowey Loey

Archived