20 replies to this topic

#16 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Do not get me started on the wastebasket syndrome of Fibromyalgia (which just means "weak" muscles")
2 pain management docs told me "I do not believe it exists"
DUH ! No sh*t doc! so, why are those muscles weak??? (well, now I know: vitamin deficiencies, malabsorption, etc)

"Fibromyalgia is a common syndrome in which a person has long-term, body-wide pain and tenderness in the joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues. Fibromyalgia has also been linked to fatigue, sleep problems, headaches, depression"

Yup, well, so is CELIAC. (that is why they call it the "great mimic")

I was told to get a "scooter or HoverRound " and "accept my fate". Nah!!!!

In the last month, (2 years after almost dying) I returned to the gym, lifted 5 lbs. weights, and did 9 machines that are for strength training...I also do yoga ... and last summer, I kayaked! I could not barely move without pain and gasping for breath at one point. I was nearly dead.

Do NOT listen to this malarkey!! Celiac may impact your muscles, nerves & bones...but you can get it back!! Never say die! :)

I'm so glad you're doing well and having fun. Makes all the difference, doesn't it?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Ice for new injuries and inflammation.
Heat for old injuries.,,, and chronic achy stuff.
Ice for nervy pain. Never heat.

Migraines? COLD on your neck and occipital muscles to reduce the neck inflammation.

painful tendons? alternate Hot and cold --1 minute each, 6 minutes total ...finishing with heat and STRETCH gently!!

I nearly broke my ankle last fall. I had parasthesia and I stood up and my ankle folded under me and I heard CRACK CRACK CRACK!
I almost vomited and fainted.
ER Doc said it would have been easier if I had just broken it, so he could set it. When it is tissue, muscle, tendons and with celiac? well, it will
take some time to heal. Maybe never. I said...not acceptable, doc.

My Massage therapist ( also a nurse and a celiac) said..naw.! Do this: cold and heat 1 minute each and end on heat and do circles with your ankle. I was healed in 2 weeks after being in pain for 6 MONTHS.

Believe you can heal and find the right person to work with you. Never say die!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else". –Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport "LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

I'm so glad you're doing well and having fun. Makes all the difference, doesn't it?

I have my life back. I was almost dead, really. Now I am not. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport "LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#19 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Ice for new injuries and inflammation.
Heat for old injuries.,,, and chronic achy stuff.
Ice for nervy pain. Never heat.

Migraines? COLD on your neck and occipital muscles to reduce the neck inflammation.

painful tendons? alternate Hot and cold --1 minute each, 6 minutes total ...finishing with heat and STRETCH gently!!

I nearly broke my ankle last fall. I had parasthesia and I stood up and my ankle folded under me and I heard CRACK CRACK CRACK!
I almost vomited and fainted.
ER Doc said it would have been easier if I had just broken it, so he could set it. When it is tissue, muscle, tendons and with celiac? well, it will
take some time to heal. Maybe never. I said...not acceptable, doc.

My Massage therapist ( also a nurse and a celiac) said..naw.! Do this: cold and heat 1 minute each and end on heat and do circles with your ankle. I was healed in 2 weeks after being in pain for 6 MONTHS.

Believe you can heal and find the right person to work with you. Never say die!

Thanks for the breakdown on the ice/heat. I always wonder...and I'm glad you healed so quickly.

Of course, would be easier if I knew what I screwed up...since both ligaments and tendons are wonky....but oh welll....

I have found, for what I damage, ice is better. Hot showers are the extent of the heat.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I have found, for what I damage, ice is better. Hot showers are the extent of the heat.

Just sharing her expertise. ;)
I also had SEVERE pelvic floor dysfunction. That was treated by a separate PT who specializes in male and female pelvic pain.
I found her by googling my face off. No Doc could help me with that pain. I cried rivers from that pain.

She helped save me from a life bent over as" little old lady. "

not kidding, guys....PT can save your life. Do NOT buy the "well, that's just the way it is" crap. I had a UroGYN tell me "take this drug (neurontin) and accept you have this burning genital and pelvic pain and that's that" waa? no way!
Total Bullsh*t. Pain? It is gone--but I did 2 years in PT and gut healing time also helps.

I would have been doped up my whole life had I listened to those idiots.

#21 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

Hi
Tagging along again with 'me too'.
Have never heard of hypermobile before but have been told that the bones in my feet and ankles are really mobile and my neck very mobile (had I been a trapeze artist/gymnast? asked chiropractor once!) Have trouble with neck/shoulders but will no longer have neck manipulated!

I too have had muscle pain in recent years and suffer tendon trouble too in right arm/shoulder especially.
My brother (celiac) snapped his achilles tendon while swimming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: