Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Been Looking For A Suitable Probiotic...what Do You Think Of This?

11 posts in this topic

I have Celiac/Gluten intolerance, currently testing for casein, thyroid problems so i avoid soy when possible...possible salicylate sensitivity...whether permanent or temporary i do not know. Anything know anything about probiotics and if this sounds any good?

http://kirkmanlabs.com/ProductKirkman/702/1/AcidophilusProbioticPowder-Hypoallergenic/

Ads by Google:

I haven't researched probiotics much yet, but I'm more and more thinking I might benefit from taking one for awhile while I'm healing, and would also like to hear any recommendations. It seems like finding good research on them may be a bit of a challenge. :/

I am also curious if there's any info on whether probiotics are like most medications, where your body ends up dependent on them/there's an opposite effect when you go off them, or if they can be safely used to get things better balanced and then discontinued without ending up worse than when you started.

Probiotics are like seeds.... you plant 'em and they multiply and grow under the right conditions, so you try to provide an environment to make them happy. Ideally you can get balanced, and not need them daily and wouldn't get worse than when you started. You're naturally introducing bacteria to yourself all the time, accidentally....

Try MegaFlora Plus. It's certified gluten free. 50 billion CFU, 14 strains+ 7 mg Vit C.

Are all these free of casein and soy as well? color additives and preservatives like the above? I'm looking for something with as little possible as causing reactions in me as possible.

Probiotics are like seeds.... you plant 'em and they multiply and grow under the right conditions, so you try to provide an environment to make them happy. Ideally you can get balanced, and not need them daily and wouldn't get worse than when you started. You're naturally introducing bacteria to yourself all the time, accidentally....

I was naturally introducing gluten to myself all the time, too. :P Just because it exists naturally doesn't mean it won't cause an imbalance or withdrawal.

That said, I *thought* the 'seed' notion was how they were supposed to work. Seems safest to question whether or not that's what they *really* do *before* I put more stuff into my poor damaged innards, though.

Are all these free of casein and soy as well? color additives and preservatives like the above? I'm looking for something with as little possible as causing reactions in me as possible.

The label (MegaFlora Plus) shows the following symbols : vegetarian, soy free, dairy free, non GMO, and tested free of pesticides and herbicides.

Other ingredients: cellulose and ascorbyl palmitate.

There is too much overthinking on the probiotic front, especially considering they have been around for many years. I started taking them 25 years ago and go off them for short periods and then start them up again....much like other supplements. There is no withdrawal whatsoever from them and all I can say is that I notice a difference when I go off of them for longer than a month. Not a bad difference but my gut is happier when I do take them. I don't think people need to do a whole lot of research on them to prove this.

Celiacs have compromised gut flora and so do a lot of poeple without Celiac. It's the way many eat and the type of food they consume. I view these much the same as a vitamin. I have never heard of or experienced myself "overdoing good gut bacteria" so this is essentially a non-worry as many other things can affect gut flora on a daily basis. Medications, alcohol, food......you get the picture. Most Celiacs will never have a perfect gut and I also have fast transit so anything I can do to help things be better, I do. I feel great on these. I know many argue that you should get most of your vitamins and minerals, etc. from your food but that is not always possible. I eat about as healthy as an educated person can but because food travels fast through my gut and I do have full blown Celiac, I have always benefited from supplements. I am also older and that weights in on the decision.

You can always eat yoghurt and kefir to get the needed gut bacteria but you have to eat a good amount and I find the supplements are easier. My gut was way beyond damaged at diagnosis and I tolerated these just fine.

Unless your probiotic advertises dairy free, it will likely have casein in it. Most probiotics are cultured on dairy. The only one I found locally is Natren, the one that says gluten and dairy free right on it. I could only find the acidophilus one. Vegetarian isn't enough to avoid casein. Vegan should be, but I would definitely look for one that says 'dairy free'.

Depending on the probiotic, I would also make sure that during shipping to your home that it would be in a controlled environment. Natren is one of the ones that needs to be refrigerated. Many don't need to be though.

Solgar makes gluten-free, dairy-free probiotics. I take the Advanced Multi-Billion Dophilus Vegetable Capsules.