22 replies to this topic

#1 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:58 AM

I have suffered from hypoglycemia for years. I have read that many others here do also.

I thought of this topic because I had to drink Glucola many years ago. The doctor checked my blood sugar an hour after. My blood sugar registered 80 and she marveled that that was low even for fasting! I felt sick for a week after that experience and promised myself that I would never drink that stuff again. That happened 18 years ago. If Only the doctor would have pressed to look into that.

Does anyone know if there is a problem absorbing sugar as well as other nutrients?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

I doubt ceilacs would a have a problem with sugar absorption like they do with fats. Sugar is one of the fastest to start being absorbed, it actually starts in our mouths and then continues down the digestive tract. I'm guessig celiac might have some affect, but not like it does on fat and protein.

I have heard (but I can't remember is it is from good source) that celiacs can have problems with insulin which could affect how sugar is used in the body...I really can't remember the details. Sorry.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

The problem isn't that you are/not absorbing sugar. It's about how many of us have side effects from celiac...ancillary damage.

I've been told its liver and pancreas and adrenal and hormones and thyroid (of course) all in a whacked-out loop that makes me trend hypoglycemic. Your body can't regulate the sugar as well as it should.

The better my adrenals, the more under control my thyroid is, the fitter I am....the less I am hypoglycemic. It all goes together.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

I have suffered from hypoglycemia for years. I have read that many others here do also.

I thought of this topic because I had to drink Glucola many years ago. The doctor checked my blood sugar an hour after. My blood sugar registered 80 and she marveled that that was low even for fasting! I felt sick for a week after that experience and promised myself that I would never drink that stuff again. That happened 18 years ago. If Only the doctor would have pressed to look into that.

Does anyone know if there is a problem absorbing sugar as well as other nutrients?

If it was being absorbed, it just seems like my blood sugar should have been higher, but yes, I guess I was all screwed up.

#5 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

If it was being absorbed, it just seems like my blood sugar should have been higher, but yes, I guess I was all screwed up.

Did your doc check you blood sugar before you drank the glucola?? If so what what it ? If not your blood sugar could have been much lower than 80 before you drank it

I have always been a hypoglycemic but lately it has been an major issue for me

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#6 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Did your doc check you blood sugar before you drank the glucola?? If so what what it ? If not your blood sugar could have been much lower than 80 before you drank it

I have always been a hypoglycemic but lately it has been an major issue for me

No, it wasn't taken that day. No follow up was ordered. When they checked after a breakfast, it was plenty low!

#7 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

No, it wasn't taken that day. No follow up was ordered. When they checked after a breakfast, it was plenty low!

There is a very good possibility that your blood sugar was very very low that morning if it was 80 after drinking the glucola . DOCTORS grrrrrr :angry:

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoarthritis

#8 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

It could be that my pancreas over produced to cope with the sugar. It would be low, if it did that. I think I felt okay before drinking the glucola, but it was a fasting test.

#9 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

If you really want to know what's going on with your blood sugar buy an inexpensive blood glucose kit and strips (strips are the expensive part). Test before meals, 1 hour after, 2 hours after. Chart it.

I found I felt bad when I had the biggest swings. I never technically went hypo (even when I felt horrible) but it is documented people feel hypo without technically falling below the line.

You probably have poor glycemic control, which isn't good and could be interpreted as prediabetic if other blood work matches up.

The test they gave you is a poor one to measure what you're feeling, and if I read your op correctly it was years ago.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#10 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

If you really want to know what's going on with your blood sugar buy an inexpensive blood glucose kit and strips (strips are the expensive part). Test before meals, 1 hour after, 2 hours after. Chart it.

I found I felt bad when I had the biggest swings. I never technically went hypo (even when I felt horrible) but it is documented people feel hypo without technically falling below the line.

You probably have poor glycemic control, which isn't good and could be interpreted as prediabetic if other blood work matches up.

The test they gave you is a poor one to measure what you're feeling, and if I read your op correctly it was years ago.

Great idea. I have a couple of those meters, but no strips. The stores would not sell them to me without a prescription. Maybe that has changed, or maybe I could get the MD to write me a prescription. I have been being very careful with all sugar. I am also taking pancreatic enzymes now. I feel well lately, but when the next dive comes...I am going to look into getting those strips.

#11 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

Great idea. I have a couple of those meters, but no strips. The stores would not sell them to me without a prescription. Maybe that has changed, or maybe I could get the MD to write me a prescription. I have been being very careful with all sugar. I am also taking pancreatic enzymes now. I feel well lately, but when the next dive comes...I am going to look into getting those strips.

Really??? Walgreens sold them to me, no problem.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#12 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

Really??? Walgreens sold them to me, no problem.

Yes, it was 6 years back when I tried. Perhaps it has changed again?

#13 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Are you in the U.S .? ( it may be different else where ) I buy mine at either a drug store or walmart. As pricklypear1971 said the test strips are the expensive part.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

Osteoarthritis

#14 chip

chip

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

You shouldn't drink or eat anything that goes into your system so rapidly. You need a slow release and yes, a lot of people absorb sugar too fast who have gluten sensitivity/celiacs. Also, if they don't eat enough, too. We also use up our "carb points" over the years and can't handle many carbs. Sometimes, eating 5-6 hours apart works, especially with fruit, too.

#15 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

I did not read the other replies, however I had trouble with sugars. I went thru this time (about a year after being off gluten) when my body was terribly sensative to sugar, even natural sugar. I would get dizzy, break out in sweat clear down to my ankles (and I do not sweat), I would be sick to my stomach and felt like I could pass out. I went thru testing. First doc said I had pre-diabetes which totally floored me but I went on a restricted diet. Even the tiniest amount of ice cream was sending my blooed sugar too high, it was really weird. I was on a no grain, no sugar diet fro 6 months. Went to a new doc that looked at all my previous lab results, had my A1C retested and she told me she felt my pancreas was not working properly, that I did not have diabetes. So what I did, is I looked up how to eat to repair the pancreas. I wa scared but I did allow some grains back in my diet, no more than a 1/2 cup per meal and limiting that and careful with all sugar. I then started juicing, lots of veggie drinks with just enough fruit to sweeten the drink, problem solved and I am serious. I still drink at least one veggie juice drink a day, I load my diet with veggies and on days I don't I just do not feel right. I can actually eat a little bit of ice cream now but I keep all grains and asugars to a limit. I hope that helps, that is what worked for me.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: