#1 JessF

JessF

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

Hi all,
I am waiting on a biopsy in a little over a week to confirm my celiac dx. My symptoms are severe gerd, indigestion, some constipation, muscle and joint pain, insomnia (can fall asleep yet wake up numerous times throughout the night), many more.

Here are the things I am concerned about because they are new and not part of my normal fibromyalgia symptoms which I have had for years: feeling cold all the time, cold hands and feet (sweaty feet too), my hands have now began to hurt, they are sensitive to the cold but do not turn colors like Raynauds, my fingerpads are wrinkly (especially when cold) and when they are warm they feel swollen. My palms hurt and are kind of orange colored. It is so wierd and freaking me out. When I googe it alot of symptoms are indicative of thyroid issues and sometimes celiac shows up.

I am going to get bloodwork for thyroid soon, I have had it a couple of times with borderline results. I didnt want to start meds for it in case it was all due to the celiac.

Thanks for any replies I would love to hear if any one else had crazy symptoms like me.

Jess

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JessF

JessF

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

Oh I forgot to add I am constantly congested, and get frequent sinus infections. I am allergic to many things but have controlled my environment and have gotten allergy shots for 4 years now. I have also been getting gassy from dairy so I have switched to almond milk and I am doing much better with that. I do still have a yogurt for breakfast and seem to do fine with that. Thanks again for any responses:)

#3 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

Yep, definitely celiac symptoms. I had many of those myself.

I also had the cold with a borderline TSH for well over a decade. i was sure I had hypo problems but I was always told that I was within range. I did't realize that the range up here was too broad (0.2-6.0) and that the TSH doesn't tell the whole pictuure. If I had had more thyroid tests, and done my own research, I am confident that i would have been treated 15 years ago and would have felt much better in my 20's and 30's.

Many borderline TSHs (especially consistant ones) can indicate hypothyroidism with the presence of symptoms (like cold, fatigue, achy body, dry skin and hair, acne, thinning hair, constipation). Have your doctore check:
  • TSH - should be near a 1.
  • Free T4 and Free T3 - are the available hormones in the body and should be (ideally) beween the 50th and 75th percentile of your lab's normal reference range.
  • TPO Ab - these autoantibodies should be non-existant; if present, they could indicate Hashimoto's disease

Good luck with the endoscopy. Make sure they take lots of samples; I've heard 6-8 is often enough. If they don't take enough samples, and the damage is patchy rather than uniform, then the doctors might miss the damage... and doctors seem to get really confused when one test is positive and another test is negative... :rolleyes:

And good luck with the gluten-free diet when your testing is complete. I hope you feel better!
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 JessF

JessF

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

Yep, definitely celiac symptoms. I had many of those myself.

I also had the cold with a borderline TSH for well over a decade. i was sure I had hypo problems but I was always told that I was within range. I did't realize that the range up here was too broad (0.2-6.0) and that the TSH doesn't tell the whole pictuure. If I had had more thyroid tests, and done my own research, I am confident that i would have been treated 15 years ago and would have felt much better in my 20's and 30's.

Many borderline TSHs (especially consistant ones) can indicate hypothyroidism with the presence of symptoms (like cold, fatigue, achy body, dry skin and hair, acne, thinning hair, constipation). Have your doctore check:

• TSH - should be near a 1.
  • Free T4 and Free T3 - are the available hormones in the body and should be (ideally) beween the 50th and 75th percentile of your lab's normal reference range.
  • TPO Ab - these autoantibodies should be non-existant; if present, they could indicate Hashimoto's disease
Good luck with the endoscopy. Make sure they take lots of samples; I've heard 6-8 is often enough. If they don't take enough samples, and the damage is patchy rather than uniform, then the doctors might miss the damage... and doctors seem to get really confused when one test is positive and another test is negative... :rolleyes:

And good luck with the gluten-free diet when your testing is complete. I hope you feel better!

Thanks Nicole! I am sure I will be on here alot once I get my official dx! I am going to go gluten free anyway just from the couple days I mistakenly did it I felt so much better:) I will have my Dr. do the test for hypo too. He did test for all those things you mentioned and I was always just in the range for everything except my TSH which was a bit above it .

#5 lisa74

lisa74

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

Yes, I have all these symptoms and was diagnosed with fibro, but I feel I'm gluten intolerant. I don't think I have celiac's because my stomach did not show that I did during endoscopy. After no gluten, I feel much better. Good luck with your results! And best of luck living gluten free!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: