This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gene Test Results Negative

gatita

gatita Enthusiast

Here are my gene test results, so it seems it is NOT celiac. Which is good news for my relatives. :) I guess this narrows what I have down to NCGI, but my GI doc is doing an endo in a couple weeks anyway....

I'm not doubting the interpretation, but can anyone decipher what this means? I get what the first two are and am lost after that.

---------------------------------

Interpretation --- The patient does not have the HLA-DQ variants associated with celiac disease.

More than 97% of celiac patients carry either HLA-DQ2(DQA1*05/DQB1*02) or HLA-DQ8(DQA1*03/DQB1*0302) or both.

Hla-Dq2 Negative

Hla-Dq8 Negative

Hla-Dqa1 -- 01

Hla-Dqa1 -- 02

Hla-Dqb1 -- 0303

Hla-Dqb1 -- 0603

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Unless you are in the 3% that don't have the genes they test for?

gatita Enthusiast

Oh.... I didn't think of that. Maybe that's why he's doing the scope anyway. <_<

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I was told if I don't have the genes, I ain't celiac (I don't have the genes). Does anyone have any information about the other 3%?

mushroom Proficient

I was told if I don't have the genes, I ain't celiac (I don't have the genes). Does anyone have any information about the other 3%?

ravenwoodglass belongs in that 3%. You can find out what it did to her :wacko:

gatita Enthusiast

So my GI seems to be sure I am celiac negative, given my blood tests were also neg. I'm at a loss as to why he's doing the endo, plus I'm supposed to start a gluten challenge on Sunday. Why would I do a gluten challenge and biopsy if he is convinced I'm negative anyway?

I tend to think that I'm probably not in that "less than 3 percent" group -- I mean those are pretty slim odds. I have to accept that all of the most sophisticated tests say I'm not celiac. I guess the biopsy will be the last test.

I'm kind of freaking out about what to do next because I still can't eat gluten and I seem to have a wheat allergy, as in the puffy face and all. So little is known about NCGI... Are all the potential complications the same? Do I need to be as strict? I don't mind being gluten-strict in my own home, but I do sometimes feel bad giving friends and family the once-over in their own kitchens. Can I lay off them a little if I don't have celiac?? :(

----

Also, does anybody know what the last four gene tests mean, if anything?

Hla-Dqa1 -- 01

Hla-Dqa1 -- 02

Hla-Dqb1 -- 0303

Hla-Dqb1 -- 0603

gatita Enthusiast

OK answering some of my own questions here :) . It looks like the Hla-Dqb1 -- 0303 is the same as DQ9? Is that right? And DQ9 is now possibly linked to a "pre-disposure" to celiac and/or gluten intolerance:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ninja Contributor

Actually, I've read studies wherein they've found up to 6-8% (I think) being negative for both the alpha and beta chains of DQ2 and DQ8 (which includes, by default, DQ7.5), the study had a very large cohort as well. Let me see if I can dig it up...

EDIT: Here are a couple I've read a long the way.... still digging for the study that showed only 93% of the celiac cohort showed DQ2 and/or DQ8.

Open Original Shared Link - In this article Dr. Fasano acknowledges that 2-3% of people diagnosed with Celiac do not have the genes.

Archived