7 replies to this topic

#1 gatita

gatita

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

Here are my gene test results, so it seems it is NOT celiac. Which is good news for my relatives. :) I guess this narrows what I have down to NCGI, but my GI doc is doing an endo in a couple weeks anyway....

I'm not doubting the interpretation, but can anyone decipher what this means? I get what the first two are and am lost after that.

---------------------------------
Interpretation --- The patient does not have the HLA-DQ variants associated with celiac disease.

More than 97% of celiac patients carry either HLA-DQ2(DQA1*05/DQB1*02) or HLA-DQ8(DQA1*03/DQB1*0302) or both.

Hla-Dq2 Negative
Hla-Dq8 Negative
Hla-Dqa1 -- 01
Hla-Dqa1 -- 02
Hla-Dqb1 -- 0303
Hla-Dqb1 -- 0603

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Unless you are in the 3% that don't have the genes they test for?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Oh.... I didn't think of that. Maybe that's why he's doing the scope anyway. <_<

#4 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

I was told if I don't have the genes, I ain't celiac (I don't have the genes). Does anyone have any information about the other 3%?
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I was told if I don't have the genes, I ain't celiac (I don't have the genes). Does anyone have any information about the other 3%?

ravenwoodglass belongs in that 3%. You can find out what it did to her :wacko:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

So my GI seems to be sure I am celiac negative, given my blood tests were also neg. I'm at a loss as to why he's doing the endo, plus I'm supposed to start a gluten challenge on Sunday. Why would I do a gluten challenge and biopsy if he is convinced I'm negative anyway?

I tend to think that I'm probably not in that "less than 3 percent" group -- I mean those are pretty slim odds. I have to accept that all of the most sophisticated tests say I'm not celiac. I guess the biopsy will be the last test.

I'm kind of freaking out about what to do next because I still can't eat gluten and I seem to have a wheat allergy, as in the puffy face and all. So little is known about NCGI... Are all the potential complications the same? Do I need to be as strict? I don't mind being gluten-strict in my own home, but I do sometimes feel bad giving friends and family the once-over in their own kitchens. Can I lay off them a little if I don't have celiac?? :(

----
Also, does anybody know what the last four gene tests mean, if anything?
Hla-Dqa1 -- 01
Hla-Dqa1 -- 02
Hla-Dqb1 -- 0303
Hla-Dqb1 -- 0603

#7 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

OK answering some of my own questions here :) . It looks like the Hla-Dqb1 -- 0303 is the same as DQ9? Is that right? And DQ9 is now possibly linked to a "pre-disposure" to celiac and/or gluten intolerance:

http://celiacdisease...l/g/Hla-Dq9.htm

#8 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Actually, I've read studies wherein they've found up to 6-8% (I think) being negative for both the alpha and beta chains of DQ2 and DQ8 (which includes, by default, DQ7.5), the study had a very large cohort as well. Let me see if I can dig it up...

EDIT: Here are a couple I've read a long the way.... still digging for the study that showed only 93% of the celiac cohort showed DQ2 and/or DQ8.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12651074
http://celiacdisease...tic-Testing.htm
http://www.glutenfre...o_interview.pdf - In this article Dr. Fasano acknowledges that 2-3% of people diagnosed with Celiac do not have the genes.

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: