Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Help Interpreting Test Results - + Iga?

7 posts in this topic

I just received a call from my naturopath's office with my test results. They are as follows:

Tissue transglutaminase - no reaction = 2 - reference <15

Gliadin IgG- positive = 21 - reference <15

Gliadin IgA - no reaction = 7 - reference <15

I am really curious if someone could just give me a broad overview of what this might mean.

Thank you!!

Edited by Northern gal

Ads by Google:

It would depend on whether it was the AGA IgA or the DGP IgA that was positive, and how positive it was, i.e., the lab's reference ranges.

It would depend on whether it was the AGA IgA or the DGP IgA that was positive, and how positive it was, i.e., the lab's reference ranges.

Hi mushroom,

Thanks! I picked up the results and I got it mixed up. I tested positive for igG, not IgA. I have updated the post with the values and reference ranges above. I'm not sure whether it was AGA or DGP; all it says is Gliadin IgG/IgA. From what I've read I suspect it was AGA.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Yes, I suspect it was the AGA. It appears he did not run the total serum IgA to indicate if you produce normal quantities of IgA. That could be why your IgG is positive but IgA negative. Are you eating gluten free now? i.e., is it to late to go back and do the DGP testing, IgG and IgA? You could still have the total serum IgA run. Do you kow if the tissue transglutaminase (tTG) was the IgA or IgG version? Because if you do not make normal IgA antibodies the IgA version would be meaningless.

How long have you been gluten free, if you are? You could probably still have the endoscopy done with some hope of getting a result, although if it has been six weeks or so it is getting a big late, and you might just be left with the option of going gluten free if you are anxious to get healthy quickly and get a baby on the way :)

Mushroom - hah, you've got it! ;) I've been off gluten for about 1.5 months now so it's probably "too late" for the time being. I'm enjoying gluten-free living so far so I plan to continue for the foreseeable future. Hoping it's what my body needs to keep a baby!

The TtG was also IgA. So I see your point. Huh! Well, I suppose I could ask my doctor to follow up with a total IgA, then at least I'd get a picture of whether or not I need to do some further testing and a gluten challenge down the road.

In your experience, do people ever test positive for *only* IgG and have it mean something on its own? (If that makes sense...

Edited by Northern gal

Yes, if you don't make normal quantities of IgA then they have to use the IgG versions of the tests, so yes it does mean something but I'm not exactly sure what :blink: If gemini comes on here and reads this she can straighten you out on what it all means - she's our testing whizkid ^_^

Thanks! Will keep my fingers crossed that Gemini sees it (or someone else knowledgable in this area)!