14 replies to this topic

#1 1974girl

1974girl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

So I get my invite to the Chicago Celiac Center's celiac convention. One of the topics is "Silent and Latent Celiacs: To treat or not to treat" Really? Is there any new info? I have kept my silent celiac child on gluten-free to the point of ocd obsession! I thought it was just standard knowledge in the celiac world that you treat silent celiacs...period. At least it is on this board. :D I did just read an article where a study said celiacs die at a normal rate like other people. (After reading another article that said the opposite) So maybe they are deciding something different?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Will be interesting to find out. My GI in the UK told me there are ethical questions about treating people with no symptoms. I would think there are ethical issues if we know they may have silent celiac and don't suggest treatment.

Interested to know what others know about this, thanks for raising it.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Ermh... aren't most cancers initially silent too? :wacko:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

Um...I was diagnosed with silent celiac. I was stunned. My villi were completely flattened so I believe I've had it for ages. Nearly two years after my diagnosis, I accidentally ingested gluten and had a severe reaction for the very first time. This happened about a month ago. My doctor treats me as he treats his other celiac patients. I continue to get regular bloodwork, etc. done. Just because I did not have (obvious at the time) symptoms did not make it different. The damage was still being done. In fact, it is absolutely crucial that those with silent celiac get treatment. All celiacs should be monitored closely and regularly.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Wow. :ph34r: I guess the self - described finest medical researchers in the world just don't care if one suddenly dies, as long as there is no diarrhea involved ?

They sure like to push this myth that a gluten free diet is impossible for mere mortals. They almost sound like gluten opioid drug addicts, I am beginning to understand why the "Wheat Belly" author keeps digging at the University of Chicago head of pedi gastro.

I did just read an article where a study said celiacs die at a normal rate like other people.

Only if they are TREATED and sticking to a strict gluten free diet AND have experienced gut healing. Otherwise, eventually, because of leaky gut, and the antibodies reacting to the stray proteins, the auto immune reaction attacks the endocrine system (glands) and then the various side effect of the hormones being messed up causes other disease. If the slow starvation and lack of vitamins and minerals going to the proper places doesn't get you first.

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

My recollection is that this article from Sweden was based on those with refractory sprue (not sure how long they had to have had damage to be termed 'refractory') and there seemed to be a very high percentage so classified. I would want to see some replicated studies.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

You can read the whole article called "Mortality Rates for Celiacs with Persistent Villous Atrophy Similar to those with Healthy Guts". It is on the Publications and Publicity board...page 2. I don't know how you tell the difference between refractory sprue and someone who just doesn't stick to the diet. Both would have villious atrophy. Nevertheless, I am keeping my silent celiac child on gluten-free until something cures it. My dh is type 1 diabetic and the doctors are hoping in some small way this may prevent it from triggering in her. Plus the whole infertility thing....just playing it safe and keeping her gluten-free.

#8 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

My Dr diagnosed me with "Latent Celiac" and I had thought it was something she just made up on the spot to pacify me because I wasn't letting it go. Basically, my blood work came back negative because of my deficient IGA, and my biopsy showed nothing that proved Celiac, but there was inflammation that she could also connect to the ulcers I had, but the ulcers could have been a symptom of Celiac Disease. We had already done the whole challenge thing and I was found to feel better off Gluten...so she said that I did have Celiac Disease, but we caught it early on, before much damage had been done, that it was Latent. And the only treatment was a gluten free diet, which she said I needed to start immediately before damage was done, and that I was lucky.

So I don't care what any one says...treat it. ASAP. I have been flip floppy on these boards, I know. I have been in denial, I know. But I understand now. I haven't intentionally had gluten in a while. And I have never felt so good.

#9 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

The more I read and learn about the benefits of anyone keeping clear of gluten, the more sure I am that as someone with Celiac Disease, I need to keep far from it. I work with children with Autism and all the kids in my class are gluten and dairy free. It just screams to me that something is WRONG with our food, when it benefits us, people with autism, diabetics and so on, to stay clear of it.

#10 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

So I get my invite to the Chicago Celiac Center's celiac convention. One of the topics is "Silent and Latent Celiacs: To treat or not to treat" Really? Is there any new info? I have kept my silent celiac child on gluten-free to the point of ocd obsession! I thought it was just standard knowledge in the celiac world that you treat silent celiacs...period. At least it is on this board. :D I did just read an article where a study said celiacs die at a normal rate like other people. (After reading another article that said the opposite) So maybe they are deciding something different?

Ski Lisa and I are going. We will try to bring back the info if our heads don't explode!

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

The silent celiac should absolutely stay gluten free. The atypical patient is becoming the typical. Just because one is not having the classical symptoms does not mean that damage is not being done.
Diagnosis 11/2012

#12 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

You can read the whole article called "Mortality Rates for Celiacs with Persistent Villous Atrophy Similar to those with Healthy Guts". It is on the Publications and Publicity board...page 2. I don't know how you tell the difference between refractory sprue and someone who just doesn't stick to the diet. Both would have villious atrophy. Nevertheless, I am keeping my silent celiac child on gluten-free until something cures it. My dh is type 1 diabetic and the doctors are hoping in some small way this may prevent it from triggering in her. Plus the whole infertility thing....just playing it safe and keeping her gluten-free.

Is the death rate the only thing to think about??? What about quality of life????

#13 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Is the death rate the only thing to think about??? What about quality of life????

She will tell you her quality of life was better before. Of course, she has no intestinal symtoms and could eat a loaf of bread with no symptoms. So she would revert back to not taking her own food to sleepovers and potlucks. She'd love to be able to eat anything off the menu at any restaurant. She has broken into tears at the sight of Krispy Kreams. But she is 12 and that's just a tough age to be different anyway. So if I was to go on quality of life.....I'd let her eat gluten. But she really does good. She had the donut meltdown within the first 2 months. It's been a year now and she is doing great. I did have her GI appointment this week. I asked her about that topic at the conference. She said nothing has changed and you treat silent celiacs. She said, "they have to come up with topics to get you there." She said every year she has to go to a pediatric GI conference but there is hardly ever anything new.

#14 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:20 AM

She will tell you her quality of life was better before. Of course, she has no intestinal symtoms and could eat a loaf of bread with no symptoms. So she would revert back to not taking her own food to sleepovers and potlucks. She'd love to be able to eat anything off the menu at any restaurant. She has broken into tears at the sight of Krispy Kreams. But she is 12 and that's just a tough age to be different anyway. So if I was to go on quality of life.....I'd let her eat gluten. But she really does good. She had the donut meltdown within the first 2 months. It's been a year now and she is doing great. I did have her GI appointment this week. I asked her about that topic at the conference. She said nothing has changed and you treat silent celiacs. She said, "they have to come up with topics to get you there." She said every year she has to go to a pediatric GI conference but there is hardly ever anything new.

But that is only the short term.  I would be thinking growth, fertility etc.

#15 txgal748

txgal748

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

I was diagnosed 5/21/12.  I have silent celiac and I think I was diagnosed at the point during which I was becoming very ill.  I was having dizzy spells every day so my PCP had me go to a neurologist who diagnosed me.  Along with the dizziness I noticed that I could not go very long without water.  If I was walking around I would start to feel bad after a while, I felt like I was going to faint, and I felt clammy.  I don't know if this was because of low vitamin D or low B12.  I do know that these episodes disapeared after going gluten-free and taking supplements. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: