11 replies to this topic

#1 Luv2teach

Luv2teach

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

I was diagnosed celiac but have never had any symptoms at all. I starte gluten-free diet 1.5 weeks ago and now for the last four days my stomach has been super bubbly and gassy. Why am I having gastrointestinal issues now that I stopped gluten?! Please help!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,108 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

I was diagnosed celiac but have never had any symptoms at all. I starte gluten-free diet 1.5 weeks ago and now for the last four days my stomach has been super bubbly and gassy. Why am I having gastrointestinal issues now that I stopped gluten?! Please help!!

You are likely eating differently. Maybe more fiber? Less fiber? More green veggies? That sort of thing.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:18 AM

My doctor said to me that your body is now better able to tell you when it doesn't like something. I am glad for indications that are clear rather than constant feeling something is wrong without a way to resolve it. The symptoms will help you heal on your way.

Get better!
Diana

#4 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

I felt a bit worse the first few weeks from withdrawl, or just getting used to slightly different eating. Hang in there. I bet it will pass before March hits.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Luv2teach

Luv2teach

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

I AMA vegetarian do my diets has always been rich in healthy whole foods. The only main change is no gluten products an substituting gluten-free breads and pastas. I feel miserable every time I eat and NEVER had gastrointestinal issues before when I did eat gluten. I feel like this is pointless... I'm so frustrated

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Are there ingredients in those gluten free breads and pastas that you might never have eaten before? Your body could just be adjusting to a new diet.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Luv2teach

Luv2teach

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

That's a good point, mushroom. I'll check.

#8 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Hi Vegetable murderer, (sorry bad joke :) )

"Silent celiac" is when a person has celiac but has no obvious GI symptoms. It doesn't mean that damage is not happening to the body, either the gut or some other body area. What does mean something is you developed symptoms when you stopped eating gluten. Going gluten-free shoudn't cause any reaction in a person who has no response to gluten. The fact that your digestion changed ( in your case got worse) means that something about gluten is an issue. So the gluten-free diet is not pointless for you. Soy is another food that you should probably avoid for a while at least.

Most likely your gut is trying to hela now. That can cause a lot of upset as bacteria balances change and tissue starts to regenerate, enzymes start to be produced again etc. Taking pro-biotics and digestive enymes may help. Also avoiding dairy, sugars and starchy foods. A simple diet is a good thing for a sick gut. I suggest you take it easy on thr gluten-free processed foods like bread s etc for a month or so. Instead try something simple like Mission brand corn tortillas which have only a few ingredients and are gluten-free. Remember to check your vitamin pills and meds for gluten also.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#9 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hopefully you don't react to flax meal the way I do. It took me forever to figure that one out, and they put it in everything. :rolleyes: Flaxmeal this, flaxmeal that, bleah. :P
Last year I went oats-in- same- facility reactive. :rolleyes: <_<
I remember the first time I had some soy flour cookies. I thought I was going to die. It just reinforced that I shouldn't do cookies.

#10 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

off topic, how did you get diagnosed if you had no symptoms? Why would anyone ever think to test you for celiac disease if you had no symptoms?
Anyways, when your gut is damaged you're going to have absorption problems. That means not only do you not get things being absorbed, but stuff stays in your intestines that otherwise wouldn't be there. Not only that celiacs, when eating gluten will actually absorb larger molecules that would otherwise never be absorbed. (Yes, I realize those statements are counter-intuitive, just read up about zonulin in celiacs and it should start to make sense.) I suspect your symptoms are your intestines getting more messed up but they will eventually get back to their proper working state...which they probably haven't been in in awhile.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#11 amanda.wilson

amanda.wilson

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Is there gluten gum? And I'm not referring to chewing gum lol. I mean xantham(sp) gum, gaur gum, etc... I've notice if the word "gum" is in the ingredients even if its gluten free its just best for my sister and I to avoid it.

#12 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,108 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

Is there gluten gum? And I'm not referring to chewing gum lol. I mean xantham(sp) gum, gaur gum, etc... I've notice if the word "gum" is in the ingredients even if its gluten free its just best for my sister and I to avoid it.

There isn't gluten in Xantham or guar gum. Some one might have problems digesting it but it doesn't have gluten.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: