Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Breastfeeding When Exposed To Gluten !help!

8 posts in this topic

I had a cross-contamination exposure last night. It wasn't a bad one but I have a sour stomach today but no diarrhea.

The only thing is Im breastfeeding my three week old.

Should I use pumped milk for a day or two?

How long if so?

Will he be alright if I keep nursing him? Ive been nursing him since the exposure last night.

Ive been trying to down a bunch of water to help.

I don't have too much pumped reserved. And since its sunday my allergist is closed.

Ads by Google:

Has your little one beed dx with a wheat allergy?

Not all Mom's pass proteins through breastmilk. I would continue to nurse your little one through this unless there is a life threatening wheat allergy which I would be surprised if you did have a dx of that this young.

Hugs and keep up the good work!

If your LO isnt gluten-intolerant, There isn't any evidence that it will cause any problems.

You should be fine to keep nursing. If any gluten passes through, you should also have some antigliadin antibodies bodies pass though the ameliorate the effects! I was glutened a few times while nursing my youngest last year with no problems at all. Congratulations on your new wee baby!

Both he and I have had incredibly painful gas cramps in the last day or so but he also wouldn't fall asleep unless he was at the boob. I got him some gripe water but was hesitant to introduce it to his digestive system and I started taking probiotics in the hopes they would also pass to him( some studies say they pass through breastmilk some say they don't )

Are you the gluten intolerant one? I am and am currently nursing and got glutened and my little one reacted too...... currently on a gluten, dairy, soy, egg, peanut free diet to figure out what else is bothering her.

Definitely keep nursing! There is absolutely no reason to pump and dump. Let's say your baby is also gluten intolerant. Nursing the absolute best thing for him. You are doing a great thing to protect his gut, potentially, from developing the same issues. And, if he does, you are giving him the most digestible food there is. And, if it turns out you actually have a virus, you are also protecting him from getting it.

Congratulations and good luck!

I agree with nicolebeth about the need to keep nursing!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Hi Alok, I suggest not eating any soy.  Soy is one of the top 8 food allergens in the USA.  Soy has other things about it that are not helpful to us.  Plus it is often sprayed with pesticides that are not so great for people.  Maybe you can try some other food for a while?  Also it might help to wash all your vegetables before using them. Just some ideas, I hope they help.
    • What she said!     The antibody panel is an important part of follow-up!
    • I have Celiac, Hashi's thyroid disease, Sjogren's Syndrome and Reynaud's Syndrome.  All have gotten better, inflammation wise, after 11 years gluten free.  I am very strict with my diet, never take chances if I feel the food is not really gluten free and limit the number of times I go out to eat.  I am not saying I never go out but it is normal for my husband and I to not see the inside of a restaurant for 3-4 months at a time and then I only eat at the places that have never glutened me.  I am lucky in that the state I live in has 3 restaurant chains that are run/owned by Celiac's, so they get it right every time. You have not been gluten free for very long, in reality.  It took me three years to completely rid myself of all symptoms related to the disease.  I was 46 at the time of diagnosis.  I know it is hard to accept that healing can take that long but you have to measure it differently.  Looking back, you should feel better than you did a year ago.  As time goes on, healing slowly takes place until you realize that certain problems have disappeared.  It is not as cut and dried as taking an antibiotic for an infection. http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03424/Elevated-Creactive-Protein-CRP.html  Read this article on elevated c reactive protein. It is by Dr. Weil, who is a Harvard trained physician who chose to go the more natural route to healing people.  All his stuff is interesting.  Yes, your elevated level will most likely come down, as you heal better.  Pay attention to it but don't let it freak you out too much! 
    • Hi Calla, I think the safe answer is 12 weeks on gluten for a blood test.  I am pretty sure they say 2 weeks on gluten for the gut endoscopy.  But usually people/doctors don't want to  do an endoscopy before a positive blood test, so catch 22 there. There's a chance you still have active antibodies in your blood after 3 weeks off gluten.  But nobody can tell you for sure.  If you can get you doctor to test you now and in 9 more weeks if you are negative now, that might work.  If the doctor is willing to do 2 tests, that would be great. The best thing would have been to do all celiac disease testing before going gluten-free.  But sometimes it doesn't work out that way. The University of Chicago celiac center has an FAQ that answers some of your questions. http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/i-dont-have-the-money-to-get-tested-for-celiac-disease-but-a-gluten-free-diet-makes-me-feel-better-is-it-okay-to-start-the-diet-without-being-diagnosed/ Welcome to the forum!  
    • Couldn't have said it better!  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Anns