4 replies to this topic

#1 BlackStar

BlackStar

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I made some scones this afternoon, and while they are tasty, they are really chewy. The flours are 1 cup white rice, 2/3 cup potato starch, 2/3 cup tapioca, and 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum. It also has eggs, sugar, vegan butter substitute, yogurt and salt. Does anyone have any insight into why they are so chewy and how I could fix it for next time?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 freeatlast

freeatlast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

I made some scones this afternoon, and while they are tasty, they are really chewy. The flours are 1 cup white rice, 2/3 cup potato starch, 2/3 cup tapioca, and 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum. It also has eggs, sugar, vegan butter substitute, yogurt and salt. Does anyone have any insight into why they are so chewy and how I could fix it for next time?

I would look for another recipe. That is entirely too much potato starch and tapioca, in my opinion. Someone has posted the ratio for flour to starch on this forum. Maybe do a forum search to pull it up. I think glutenfree girl has something on her blog, as well. Good luck.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#3 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

In Carol Fensters book called "Quick and Easy", she has a great recipe for scones on page 204, not 203. I leave out the raisins and put mini chocolate chips in the batter then brush the top of batter with milk and sprinkle on sugar. After baking they are wonderful with a spoonful of whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup. The recipe calls for sorghum flour and cream of tartar.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#4 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

Bette Hagman's Original Rice Flour Blend [with variations]

6 c white rice Flour       OR

6 c brown rice Flour      OR

3 c white rice flour and 3 cups brown rice flour

2 c Potato Starch

1 c Tapioca Flour  or arrowroot 

#5 BlackStar

BlackStar

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Thank you so much for the advice!

My first instinct was the same as yours, freeatlast, but it's my boss's recipe, so I only get so much wiggle room! Fortunately, he doesn't mind me tweaking the recipe. I will need to look more at glutenfreegirl's site. Thank you for that!

I ended up using your flour, auzzi, and they turned out much better. Thank you!

and purple, thank you for the recipe suggestion! I won't use it in this particular case, but I will probably give it a shot at home. I feel like I am learning to bake all over again, which is both fun and a bit frusratingand good suggestions on recipes is much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: