Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

How To Get More 'good Fats'?

12 posts in this topic

One of the things I'm still struggling with (and chronically struggled with, even when I ate gluten) is how and where to get more fat into my diet. Almost every potential fat source seems to also add a ton of calories, which is a bit of a deterrent. I'm trying to lose the weight I've put on over the last several months; it's obnoxious that I seem to be stuck re-learning how weight management works, as I've had that under decent control for years, now.

I've also (accidentally) trained myself to actively prefer the taste of lower fat foods. So, for example, fat free yogurt tastes better to me than low fat yogurt (I haven't noticed milk itself is a problem for me).

Any source material on all the "good fat" stuff folks are quoting? Any info (and source material) on how to know how much of what kind of fat you need? Any product reccommendations?

Ads by Google:

Olive oil, coconut oil (contrary to popular wisdom), avocados, eggs, for starters.

Olive oil, coconut oil (contrary to popular wisdom), avocados, eggs, for starters.

I'll have to try an avacado at some point.

Right now I seem to react badly to eggs (they were my first choice for a quick source of fat/iron/protien); I'm not sure if this is something that will be permanent but I'm not eager to test it anytime soon. =(

I'm the opposite, i can't handle low fat stuff.

Peanut butter maybe? Nuts?

Walnuts and olive oil are in my daily food plan. Fatty fish like salmon is also a good source , Not my personal fave but it works.

Peanut butter I tend to go wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over board on so I can not even have it in the house :rolleyes:because I will eat the whole jar :blink:

Walnuts and olive oil are in my daily food plan. Fatty fish like salmon is also a good source , Not my personal fave but it works.

Peanut butter I tend to go wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over board on so I can not even have it in the house :rolleyes:because I will eat the whole jar :blink:

That's my worry not only with peanut butter, but also with things like nuts where you're supposed to just have a handful. I have the vague hope that I might get a little better about self-control when I've gotten used to a firmer connection between food and satiety, but even if that's going to happen, it won't happen immediately, or even probably soon.

re: PB specifically: It's a shame Jif to Go isn't gluten-free.

nuts, seeds, avocados, olive/coconut/nut oils are all good choices. cook your veggies with some oil (especially good if roasting in the oven). add sesame seeds to your salads. and walnuts to your yogurt. make homemade granola with seeds/nuts/coconut oil.

:ph34r:

I'd do the same if i didn't limit myself...

As for the pb, i only eat skippy natural.

Now, if only I could find an easily-accessible and cheap nut brand that didn't say the nuts come from a facility that processes wheat. More ressearch, I suppose.

EDIT: Planter's. :)

:ph34r:

I'd do the same if i didn't limit myself...

As for the pb, i only eat skippy natural.

Smuckers organic natural peanut butter chunky but will eat smooth in a pinch :D

As an update:  Still looking into additional sources of fat (and still figuring the weight thing out), but adding nuts into my diet helped my skin quickly and dramatically (it was red/dry/clearly not healthy), and didn't seem to exacerbate the weight issue as I had feared it would.  Had to tweak my skincare regimen a little bit (I'd dialed it back a bit due to dry winter air, but had to step it up again when I started, unsurprisingly, getting some acne), but definitely overall a huuuuuge improvement.

I have trouble with fats too because a lot of the foods that I prefer to eat are low in fat.  Like vegetables.  Dieticians would tell me to add margarine to my veggies.  And I'd be like...  Uh...  No!

I do try to eat some olives, seeds or nuts every day.  I dislike dressing on my salad but if I am eating baby carrots, I will sometimes dip them in a little really good olive oil.  I also cook with olive oil when I can.  Or coconut oil.

I can no longer eat dairy but when I did, I switched to the full fat stuff.