Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

This is the full celiac panel:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
Total Serum IgA

It is hard to know what is meant by CELIAC Ab panel. If it is only the tests with "antibody" in its name, it may not include the DGP (a newer test), or the total serum IgA which is an important control for all IgA testing. Can you call the lab and ask them what they consider to be a CELIAC Ab panel? And if it does not include the last two I would ask my doctor to include them if I were you, if it is not too late.

The other tests are a complete blood count and metabolic panel as it says, thyroid function, iron and vitamin D.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

I agree with Mushroom. I, too am not too sure what the Celiac AB panel involves, but she posted the current serologic testing in her previous post. It's a complete series of six test, which speak to each other...for a more definative diagnosis. I would insist on nothing less.

It's also good to be tested for other issues. There could be a common link or this issue could be very independent from a gluten issues.

Best of luck to you with your testing.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:00 AM

Hi
Seeing the above tests, I was told by doc yesterday that for a celiac blood test (UK) I would only need to consume gluten for two weeks and that the test is sensitive. Didn't ask which test this is as previously believed that you had to eat lots of gluten for three months :o which I cannot do. I am self-diagnosed but have DH and no real doubt in my mind, just every so often have misgivings and wonder if i'm just on a fad. Negative results would make me feel so stupid. Does having DH mean celiac blood tests have higher incidence of false negative? I showed anti gliadin antibodies on saliva test which recommended gluten free. Have had DH (self diagnosed but classic case) and Hashi's since teens. Sensitive to iodine - reaction with DH and hypothyroid - and Sooooooooooo can't eat gluten!!!

Feeling very down with self-doubt at the moment - doc relying on useless TSH, reduced dose (thyroid hormone) last Nov and now have lots of old enemies (hypo symptoms) back.
Any advice on tests?
Will ring doc and find out what blood test he was on about.

#5 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

My UK doctor said one week gluten challenge, but changed to 6 weeks when I showed her the coeliac UK advice.

We seem to have different tests as standard, but I have yet to get anyone to tell me what they are. Mine came back negative, with no ranges.

There is no need to feel stupid. Diagnosis is a difficult process, and often confusing. Once your testing is done, it is worth trying strictly gluten-free. This is often the best test.

I did this, and my GI diagnosed me non celiac gluten intolerant on the basis of my reaction to the gluten challenge (I bailed after 3 weeks and will never repeat) and response to gluten-free diet.

I feel way better than a few months ago.

Good luck with your journey, ask lots of questions :)
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#6 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

Hi Mindwarp
Been gluten free over 12 months and think a 3 month challenge might be the end of me :o - would be unable to function. On two weeks with gluten being mentioned by doc, just thought that perhaps it was worth a try for official diagnoses. While I don't need this for myself, I get fed up with the reaction of others giving you that 'yeah, yeah' look - you know the one I mean! - especially the doc!

I mentioned to him about reaction to other foods, soy, dairy, rice, pots ...... he said if I was cutting out foods, including gluten, I was bound to start getting reactions to them - what does that mean ??????
Feeling in a bad place at the moment - so am probably best ignored :ph34r: .

#7 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:51 AM

Hi, I think we just need to keep asking questions and following our guts (ha ha). I am finding working out the other intolerances extremely difficult. I would say stick around, not sure being ignored is the way to go.
I did have a test at 3 weeks, though it was negative. If you have already started eating gluten, maybe do the 2 weeks and get the test. Personally, I wouldn't do it again now.
I was upset when I got a negative for celiac. I am keeping going with the non celiac gluten intolerance. I think because I take it seriously, other people do, mostly. I think we just gotta keep going. I had a bad day today, but coming here and knowing I am not alone helps.

Sending hugs Mw
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: