21 replies to this topic

#1 pianoland

pianoland

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

The apple cinnamon and pecan Kind bar wasn't too kind to me this afternoon.

I had it with Starbucks coffee so maybe it was just hard on my stomach, but I haven't experienced such bad stomach issues in a long time.

I'll mention that I had Starbucks coffee last week (with a chocolate/peanut butter Kind bar) without issue.

Ingredients: Almonds, cashews, pecans, dried apples (apples, evaporated cane juice), honey, non GMO glucose, raisins, crisp rice, flax seeds, chicory root fiber, soy lecithin, cinnamon.
Celebrating being gluten free since July 22, 2011.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Some days bars like Kind+ are just too sweet for me. And too sweet upsets my stomach. That's just me, though.

And then it's virus season....so hopefully it was just the bar and coffee...
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

I used to love KIND bars but began to react to them last spring and thought I was getting cross-contaminated. Since then I have been diagnosed with a sulfite intolerance, and looking back, my GI reactions were likely due to the sulfites in the dried fruits. Just something to consider. I was able to eat KIND bars for my first 2 years being gluten-free without a problem.

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

Yes, I did have problems with them. I really liked them, but I had to give them up. I am intolerant to oat avenin as well as gluten, and they make oat containing products. I assume that is why they bothered me.

#5 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

The apple cinnamon and pecan Kind bar wasn't too kind to me this afternoon.

I had it with Starbucks coffee so maybe it was just hard on my stomach, but I haven't experienced such bad stomach issues in a long time.

I'll mention that I had Starbucks coffee last week (with a chocolate/peanut butter Kind bar) without issue.

Ingredients: Almonds, cashews, pecans, dried apples (apples, evaporated cane juice), honey, non GMO glucose, raisins, crisp rice, flax seeds, chicory root fiber, soy lecithin, cinnamon.

I have 'issues' (diagnosed allergies) to evaporated cane juice from cane sugar and soy lecithin from soy. So I won't eat Kind bars.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#6 san-luisa-rey-NYC

san-luisa-rey-NYC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Yes, I did have problems with them. I really liked them, but I had to give them up. I am intolerant to oat avenin as well as gluten, and they make oat containing products. I assume that is why they bothered me.

Hi, I wrote to Kind Bar manufacturers today to inquire about this. I also wonder whether the issue may be the Alpha Tocopheryl / Vitamin E (most typically from wheat germ), which is known to be very susceptible to cross-contamination, since it is, after all, WHEAT.

#7 Opa3

Opa3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

I've been eating these bars for about a year and concerning gluten, been fine with them. Depends on your sensitivity to gluten. GI Doc says I'm OK with 0 to 19 ppm as labeled gluten free. I drink a glass of water with each bar and it helps with digestion.

#8 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,977 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Kind LLC does label their nutrition bars as gluten free. This means it contains, if any, at 0 to 19 ppm gluten. Err on the side of caution depending on your sensitivity to gluten.

You would need to contact them to see if they test and at what sensitivity. There is no legal definition in the US of gluten free. Testing is not required to label something gluten-free.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#9 Opa3

Opa3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

.............. the issue may be the Alpha Tocopheryl / Vitamin E (most typically from wheat germ), which is known to be very susceptible to cross-contamination, since it is, after all, WHEAT.

Thanks for posting this Vit. E issue. I looked at my MultiVit. which listed Vit E(60 IU, 200%DV) as dL alpha T( the synthetic version). Need to find a new brand now.

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for posting this Vit. E issue. I looked at my MultiVit. which listed Vit E(60 IU, 200%DV) as dL alpha T( the synthetic version). Need to find a new brand now.

Synthetic vitamin E is often made from petroleum sources.

Hi, I wrote to Kind Bar manufacturers today to inquire about this. I also wonder whether the issue may be the Alpha Tocopheryl / Vitamin E (most typically from wheat germ), which is known to be very susceptible to cross-contamination, since it is, after all, WHEAT.

Regarding Vitamin E and mixed tocopherols. This is a frequent question on here.

Of course, we should not eat wheat germ, but the oil is highly refined.
If a food or supplement includes as an ingredient vitamin E derived from wheat germ oil that is not

highly refined, and the vitamin E contains wheat protein, the word wheat
must be included on the label, either in the ingredients list or "Contains: ":

Tocopherols are a class of organic chemicals that are usually rich in vitamin E, a natural preservative. They can be derived from a number of sources. The most common is soybean oil, although wheat germ oil can also be used. Tocopherols are highly refined extracts from refined oils, and are gluten-free.

The Canadian Celiac Association lists tocopherols as a safe ingredient in food, without exception.

please, read this article by Tricia Thompson, a celiac savvy dietician,.

http://www.glutenfre...mOilBlog.14.pdf

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

}:-(  I hate that oats are in everything. Thanks for the heads up, I just discovered kind bars a couple weeks ago (rather, I finally caved into their high price because I found I couldn't eat the nuts had been eating.)

My vitamin E is from non GMO soy, and it's just a regular Jamieson vitamin, labelled gluten free of course.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#12 Shell156

Shell156

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

I'm a little late, and it could be the kind bars but….

I've been glutened by Starbucks a number of times. They sometimes sample/handle pastries and although they use pastry tongs or gloves, they still can cause minute cross contamination on hands, cups etc.

I can have an americano one day and be fine, but another day order the exact same thing and get a reaction. If someone cute up a pastry earlier that day and then grabbed the cups or made my drink I'm in trouble.

#13 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

My youngest son and I don't eat Kind bars because of the cc from gluten free oats.  My oldest son is fine with them. 

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#14 quincy

quincy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

I googled this topic and here it is!  Like the first poster last year, I usually have a Kind bar with an iced latte at Starbucks. Lately though, I am getting like an indigestion. I eat a Kind bar every day, it's my go-to quick snack on the go.  

Maybe it's the cc with oats?  Or maybe the Starbucks, but I heard the plain latte's are reasonably safe.

I get the worst constrochondritis-type pain in my sternum and pain in the ribs there after having this combo.

I don't think they are certified gluten free, are they?

#15 Brandiwine

Brandiwine

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

I have GI issues every time I eat KIND bars, I just assumed I had a sensitivity to ANOTHER food...  

Vegan, Gluten Free diet, sensitivity to onions, soy, allergic to Cinnamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: