This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's Soy Doing In My F*ing Tea!?

Pegleg84

Pegleg84 Collaborator

So, I'm chilly, and went to make a cup of some nice blackcurrant Stash tea I got a while ago, and took a glance at the ingredients, and low and behold! Contains: soy.

WHAAAT?? Why the hell is there soy in f*ing tea?!

Well, now that it's donated to the communal office tea, who else has noticed soy as an ingredient in teas (or other unusual things), and what brands/kinds should we soy-intolerants avoid?

I know barley can occasionally be an ingredient, but soy? really? it's probably in the flavouring.

No wonder I felt a bit iffy the first couple times I had some.

i guess I'll be staying away from Stash, and scrutinizing tea labels.

Damn you soy!! *shakes fist at evil nemesis*

Now i'm still cold... ergh

Venting

Peg

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Yep, lots of flavoerd teas have soy in them.

mushroom Proficient

Slice up some ginger root and let it steep in boiling water. Add honey or agave. Yum yum. To heck with Stash!

ButterflyChaser Enthusiast

Celestial Seasonings also has soy. I had your exact same reaction with Stash.

cahill Collaborator

Soy is evil ,EVIL :ph34r: I say

mushroom Proficient

Amen, Sister :ph34r:

GFinDC Veteran

If you use one of those ancient things called a tea kettle, it is easy to make tea. Just throw water in it and any thing flavorful. Cinnamon, chocolate powder, nutmeg, anything you want to try. Lemon granules etc. There are lots of possibilities. No tea bag required! Probably cheaper than buying tea too. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pegleg84 Collaborator

At home I drink loose leaf, but I don't have a tea ball at work (am going to remedy that), and if I'm out and want a cup there's no knowing what you'll end up with. So, that explains why I sometimes feel a little odd after drinking some. Now if I'm out I'll stick to as whole/plain as possible, or ask to see the box.

I got this particular tea because, why not, but thankfully only had a couple bags of it. I don't usually go for the crazy flavoured stuff.

But seriously!? Why they need soy lectin in tea (in a bag) to me is ridiculous. Oh, it makes it stick together and smoother. It's tea! You put it in boiling water! Argh!

Ok, venting over. Wish I'd known this sooner.

Thanks guys

Peg

Takala Enthusiast

I had to laugh at loud at this post ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Like me with the Tazo brand and its certain flavors with gluten. Who the hell puts gluten in "honey" flavored tea ? I try to remember to put PLAIN tea bags in my purse. If I wanted soy, I'd order hot liquified Tofu ! If I wanted barley, I'd order soup !

I picked up a bottle of root beer to scrutinize its label 2 weeks ago, and it had unsourced modified food starch in it. Who the bleeping fook puts starch in root beer ? ! :P Yeah, it's statistically likely to be corn in North America, but what if it isn't ?

GFinDC Veteran

I think the soy oil is to carry the flavorings. You know, like infuse the fruit in the oil or something. Because they have soy in so many flavored teas. So I figure it has something do with carrying the flavorings.

You can try ginger powder for tea also. When I am out I get plain teas without any added flavorings. What surprised me was a tea I saw that had pro-biotics added to the tea bags. Now that struck me as odd. If you think about it, tea is basically hot water with something flavorful in it. I had some semi-hard peppermint candies not long ago. I gave them a try with hot water and the made real nice tea. You can also pick mullein in many areas off road sides or along fence lines. It's a common weed but also makes a nice herbal tea. And it is free to pick. They say ginseng makes good herbal cure-all tea, if you can find it. Those kind of claims are usually hooey of course. Come to think of it, hooey makes excellent tea if you are trying to get rid of an obnoxious visiting neighbor.

If you like some night time tea, try some Frangleico in it. That is pretty darn tasty stuff. Makes my feet swell up, but maybe it will work for you. Don't bash the tea makers, become one yourself! :D

What surprised me was a tea I saw that had pro-biotics added to the tea bags. Now that struck me as odd.

Aren't they usually sensitive to high temperatures? I mean, it's not Kombucha, I guess, so are you going to pour hot water on probiotics?

Pegleg84 Collaborator

yeah, it's definitely for the flavoured teas. Good ol traditional black teas and such really should be fine. This all means I'll be declining any tea that sounds "flavoury", and asking lots of questions at tea shops. My favourite teas are earl grey, pur'eh, and roibos, so sticking to unflavoured types should do the trick.

Probiotics in tea? That does sound gimmicky, or hooey, rather. (ha!)

GFinDC Veteran

Aren't they usually sensitive to high temperatures? I mean, it's not Kombucha, I guess, so are you going to pour hot water on probiotics?

Let's see , what is it they say when they don't know the answer? Oh yeah, excellent question BC! :)

Open Original Shared LinkOpen Original Shared Link

Lemon Ginger Herb Plus - Case of 6 boxes (108 tea bags total)

Bursting with flavor, this caffeine-free herb tea provides a momentary break from the busy day. Best of all, it effectively delivers GanedenBC30 probiotics, shown to maintain a health balance in your digestive tract. Now while you're enjoying the soothing aroma and blended flavors of lemon with the hint of ginger, you'll be sipping your way to a healthier you. 18 individually foil wrapped tea bags per box. 6 boxes per case. Net Wt. 1.39 oz. (39g).

Video that explains it all in lurid detail, not:

GFinDC - that's the result of being brought up by a mother that would freak out about the temperature to which our probiotics would be exposed in long railway trips... :wacko:

The lemon-ginger stuff by Stash was responsible for my near-heart attack, so this is interesting.

I did my research, and it appears that the GanedenBC30 is a trademark for a type of heat resistant probiotic. Open Original Shared Link

Clearly, the fact that you could theoretically put it in fries must make it awesome, right? Except that it is one strain, one single strain of bacteria. Not sure really how much that's going to help.

Em314 Explorer

Can I just say: I love the title of this thread. I think we all have that approximate thought about random contamination of what *should* be benign foods every now and again.

GFinDC Veteran

Thanks for the link BC. I guess it doesn't mind the hot tea water at all then. Well, I may try it then. I've had those tea bags sitting around for quite a while and haven't used them yet because they have soy lecithin in them.

Benefits of GanedenBC30:

• SURVIVABILITY | GanedenBC30 is designed to survive manufacturing and stomach acids acidity to help deliver beneficial bacteria to your digestive system*
  • SHELF STABLE | GanedenBC30 requires no refrigeration
  • COLONIZATION | GanedenBC30 helps colonize the intestines with beneficial bacteria*
  • SAFETY | 50-plus year history of safe use plus three published Open Original Shared Link
  • LACTIC ACID PRODUCTION | GanedenBC30 produces the preferred L+ optical isomer of lactic acid*
  • 10x MORE CELLS DELIVERED THAN YOGURT**

Pegleg84 Collaborator

I'm just glad I noticed this BEFORE I made the tea.

And bwahahahaha about the probiotic (singular). so pointless! Why do probiotics have to be in everything these days. Such a gimmick...

It's just frustrating because it means one more thing that I can't have without thinking about it first (if you can't read the label, don't eat/drink it).

You're welcome, GFinDC.

Pegleg, I think that's because most people tend to eat a terrible diet, which messes up with their GI system, which in many cases may be bettered by probiotics, and it's easier to buy "health food" than making your food healthy, so there's a big, salivating market out there.

I recently had a horrible experience with soy AND wheat in a bottle of shampoo I had had since before doing the elimination diet, and I am an a** because I didn't read the label: I had a flaming, bright red and burning scalp for over two days, and then my skin started scaling off.

My least favourite thing is when "safe" packaged foods think they need a "new effin formula." <_<

mushroom Proficient

My least favourite thing is when "safe" packaged foods think they need a "new effin formula." <_<

And... they call it "new" and "improved" :P Improved to the point where I can't use it any more. :blink:

GFinDC Veteran

Seems like a gimmick to me also (the pro-biotics). About as gimmicky as water bars or oxygen bars. One thing I haven't seen yet is any common-sense bars.

auzzi Newbie
Soy lecithin is a soy-based emulsifier in the natural flavors used to keep the ingredients in flavoured teas from separating and clumping together.

Open Original Shared Link
- no MSG, soy, artificial colors or preservatives...
foam Apprentice

Different Probiotics stimulate different Interleukins in your immune system. Forget about colonising your intestines. There's must more important things at play here than that. You can practically play your immune system like a piano with probiotics if you get good enough at it. Steep learning curve but I feel myself I wont get better without learning this.

• 1 year later...
John Burlingame Explorer

So, I'm chilly, and went to make a cup of some nice blackcurrant Stash tea I got a while ago, and took a glance at the ingredients, and low and behold! Contains: soy.

WHAAAT?? Why the hell is there soy in f*ing tea?!

Well, now that it's donated to the communal office tea, who else has noticed soy as an ingredient in teas (or other unusual things), and what brands/kinds should we soy-intolerants avoid?

I know barley can occasionally be an ingredient, but soy? really? it's probably in the flavouring.

No wonder I felt a bit iffy the first couple times I had some.

i guess I'll be staying away from Stash, and scrutinizing tea labels.

Damn you soy!! *shakes fist at evil nemesis*

Now i'm still cold... ergh

Venting

Peg

Yea, ive been finding soy in everything, its even in the tea bags them selves. stupid soy

GF Lover Rising Star

John, 

Soy must be listed on the label.  

Colleen

Archived