21 replies to this topic

#1 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

So, I'm chilly, and went to make a cup of some nice blackcurrant Stash tea I got a while ago, and took a glance at the ingredients, and low and behold! Contains: soy.
WHAAAT?? Why the hell is there soy in f*ing tea?!
Well, now that it's donated to the communal office tea, who else has noticed soy as an ingredient in teas (or other unusual things), and what brands/kinds should we soy-intolerants avoid?
I know barley can occasionally be an ingredient, but soy? really? it's probably in the flavouring.
No wonder I felt a bit iffy the first couple times I had some.
i guess I'll be staying away from Stash, and scrutinizing tea labels.

Damn you soy!! *shakes fist at evil nemesis*
Now i'm still cold... ergh

Venting
Peg

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

Yep, lots of flavoerd teas have soy in them.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Slice up some ginger root and let it steep in boiling water. Add honey or agave. Yum yum. To heck with Stash!
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

Celestial Seasonings also has soy. I had your exact same reaction with Stash.
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#5 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:20 AM

Soy is evil ,EVIL :ph34r: I say

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

Amen, Sister :ph34r:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

If you use one of those ancient things called a tea kettle, it is easy to make tea. Just throw water in it and any thing flavorful. Cinnamon, chocolate powder, nutmeg, anything you want to try. Lemon granules etc. There are lots of possibilities. No tea bag required! Probably cheaper than buying tea too. :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#8 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

At home I drink loose leaf, but I don't have a tea ball at work (am going to remedy that), and if I'm out and want a cup there's no knowing what you'll end up with. So, that explains why I sometimes feel a little odd after drinking some. Now if I'm out I'll stick to as whole/plain as possible, or ask to see the box.
I got this particular tea because, why not, but thankfully only had a couple bags of it. I don't usually go for the crazy flavoured stuff.

But seriously!? Why they need soy lectin in tea (in a bag) to me is ridiculous. Oh, it makes it stick together and smoother. It's tea! You put it in boiling water! Argh!

Ok, venting over. Wish I'd known this sooner.

Thanks guys
Peg

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#9 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

I had to laugh at loud at this post ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Like me with the Tazo brand and its certain flavors with gluten. Who the hell puts gluten in "honey" flavored tea ? I try to remember to put PLAIN tea bags in my purse. If I wanted soy, I'd order hot liquified Tofu ! If I wanted barley, I'd order soup !

I picked up a bottle of root beer to scrutinize its label 2 weeks ago, and it had unsourced modified food starch in it. Who the bleeping fook puts starch in root beer ? ! :P Yeah, it's statistically likely to be corn in North America, but what if it isn't ?

#10 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

I think the soy oil is to carry the flavorings. You know, like infuse the fruit in the oil or something. Because they have soy in so many flavored teas. So I figure it has something do with carrying the flavorings.

You can try ginger powder for tea also. When I am out I get plain teas without any added flavorings. What surprised me was a tea I saw that had pro-biotics added to the tea bags. Now that struck me as odd. If you think about it, tea is basically hot water with something flavorful in it. I had some semi-hard peppermint candies not long ago. I gave them a try with hot water and the made real nice tea. You can also pick mullein in many areas off road sides or along fence lines. It's a common weed but also makes a nice herbal tea. And it is free to pick. They say ginseng makes good herbal cure-all tea, if you can find it. Those kind of claims are usually hooey of course. Come to think of it, hooey makes excellent tea if you are trying to get rid of an obnoxious visiting neighbor.

If you like some night time tea, try some Frangleico in it. That is pretty darn tasty stuff. Makes my feet swell up, but maybe it will work for you. Don't bash the tea makers, become one yourself! :D

#11 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

What surprised me was a tea I saw that had pro-biotics added to the tea bags. Now that struck me as odd.

Aren't they usually sensitive to high temperatures? I mean, it's not Kombucha, I guess, so are you going to pour hot water on probiotics?
Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.

#12 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

yeah, it's definitely for the flavoured teas. Good ol traditional black teas and such really should be fine. This all means I'll be declining any tea that sounds "flavoury", and asking lots of questions at tea shops. My favourite teas are earl grey, pur'eh, and roibos, so sticking to unflavoured types should do the trick.

Probiotics in tea? That does sound gimmicky, or hooey, rather. (ha!)

#13 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Aren't they usually sensitive to high temperatures? I mean, it's not Kombucha, I guess, so are you going to pour hot water on probiotics?

Let's see , what is it they say when they don't know the answer? Oh yeah, excellent question BC! :)

http://www.bigelowtea.com/Catalog/Product/37/48/483/Lemon+Ginger+Herb+Plus+.aspx

Lemon Ginger Herb Plus - Case of 6 boxes (108 tea bags total)

Bursting with flavor, this caffeine-free herb tea provides a momentary break from the busy day. Best of all, it effectively delivers GanedenBC30 probiotics, shown to maintain a health balance in your digestive tract. Now while you're enjoying the soothing aroma and blended flavors of lemon with the hint of ginger, you'll be sipping your way to a healthier you. 18 individually foil wrapped tea bags per box. 6 boxes per case. Net Wt. 1.39 oz. (39g).

Video that explains it all in lurid detail, not:

#14 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

GFinDC - that's the result of being brought up by a mother that would freak out about the temperature to which our probiotics would be exposed in long railway trips... :wacko:

The lemon-ginger stuff by Stash was responsible for my near-heart attack, so this is interesting.

I did my research, and it appears that the GanedenBC30 is a trademark for a type of heat resistant probiotic. http://www.ganedenbc...ganedenbc30.php

Clearly, the fact that you could theoretically put it in fries must make it awesome, right? Except that it is one strain, one single strain of bacteria. Not sure really how much that's going to help.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.

#15 Em314

Em314

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

Can I just say: I love the title of this thread. I think we all have that approximate thought about random contamination of what *should* be benign foods every now and again.
Diagnosed celiac December 2012 (bloodwork + endoscopy). Gluten-free since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: