Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

2 Questions Abt Food Labeling And Baking

4 posts in this topic

hello,,

have a question about the labeling of food that seems to be gluten free but has got that "made in a factory that handles"!!! label ... ive seen loads of things that look ok but have this "tag" on the end. are they ok, is the manufacturer just protecting themselves or should i be avoiding them.. :unsure:

i have to say since starting this diet ( even though ive slipped up a few times) i havent had one "dark" or anxious thought and the only time ive had gerd was when i had a smoothie that contained strawberries

.rash on hands is just dry skin now- hopefully it will clear up soon. the rash on face isn,t any better though, - im looking into gluten free cosmetics now.

the other question is about all the different types of gluten free flours there are. all the recipes ive looked at seem to use abt 3 or four different mixes of flour. ive bought a general gluten free flour , rice flour and cornmeal. if i wanted a simple an easy ( hate cooking) flatbread,shortbread or scone mix could i get away just replacing normal flour for the gluten free flour :) .

It depends on what your sensitivity level is. It could be that they had a dedicated line for the product, but they also produced gluten containing stuff in another area.

I've got no idea with the backing. I'm no baker lol.

I have no problems with products from shared facilities. Most are, even if they don't say so (the disclosure is voluntary). Is your house 100% gluten-free? If not, then you live in a shared facility.

thanks,

im off work this week so ive just had a major clear out and clean up of kitchen, so now i can say i am totally gluten and dairy free :) . that answer helps a lot( i mean that, im not being sarcastic lol) :D , i guess im just gonna have to try them and see how things go. i did think i wouldnt be able to, or shouldnt be eating them. ive discovered these moreish spicy chana dahl snacks made of chick peas - they are lovely yum! so i,ll try some baking 2morrow - if its anything like monday when i was making soup - i,ll be having another major clean up of the kitchen :(

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Normal Iga Levels For Kids?
      Just came back from a pediatric GI doctor with my 12 year old. the doctor told me that Chris' IgA level of 45 is too low and normal range for his age is 70. Although the standard Celiac panels came back negative twice, he wants another done with TTG and IgG.
    • Celiac in 10 month old?
      only the first one is a celiac test.  and you need the rest of them run.  What country are you in?
    • Second Panel has come back...advice?
      If you follow the gluten-free diet correctly, without being paranoid about it either......your DGP will drop because you won't be eating the food that makes it rise.  I think having a gluten-free house is a great idea because it allows you to relax in your own home. As for reading labels all the time, I have a few comments on that one.  In the beginning, and depending on just how much processed foods you plan on eating, it is a good idea to get into the habit of reading labels.  You learn how to do that correctly from experience.  However, in 11 years gluten free, I have never once seen any processed food I have bought that changed their ingredients. I'm sure it can happen but I've never seen it. Usually, with higher end brands, they never do that because if the product is a success, they don't mess with it.  I can't speak for generic or store brands because I do not buy them. I do not eat a lot of processed foods either. If you are buying a product specifically geared towards the Celiac population and is certified gluten-free, you do not have to check the label unless you have other food intolerance's. Glutino and the other companies which market a gluten-free line of products will not change their ingredients and put something in there we cannot have. Whole Foods Market Gluten Free Bakery line....same thing.  They are all dedicated facilities that make food for Celiac's and are not a worry. I am from New England and buy B & M baked beans, which are gluten free. They are a New England company and haven't changed their recipe for years and years...in fact, maybe never.  Those beans are an institution around here and they will not change their ingredients that have been popular for a very long time.....they have been around since my great-grandmother's time. I buy the basic ones without the added flavorings like onion, etc. I can't speak for every flavor they produce because I eat only the basic beans. But I no longer check the label....don't have to. The company specifically told me they don't mess with success and would not change ingredients. Supplements are something you need to read labels on every time but food items are a little different and you will become very good at understanding the whole thing the longer you do it. It becomes second nature. I am very happy you are on your way to a much healthier life! 
    • Nation's First Free Food Pantry for People with Food Allergies or Celiac Disease
      Kansas is wheat country, and like the rest of America, Kansans are generally not gluten-free. That means the food in their charity food pantries are not usually gluten-free. View the full article
    • Celiac in 10 month old?
      This is a link that will explain sreun panels for infants under 2 years of age. http://www.thepatientceliac.com/2013/04/18/update-on-celiac-disease-screening-in-infants-and-toddlers/ The author of that is a doctor, has celiac herself, and is a member of celiac.com. Here is a link that tells you about her: http://www.thepatientceliac.com/about-me/   This link will also give you information: http://www.beyondceliac.org/living-with-celiac-disease/info-for-parents/testing/ Quoting from it in part: Celiac Disease Testing in Children Under 3 Blood tests are not always accurate in very young children. If your child is less than 3 years old, you may be advised to see a gastroenterologist instead of relying on blood tests results.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Laur.mich.elle