#1 jhol

jhol

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

hello,,

have a question about the labeling of food that seems to be gluten free but has got that "made in a factory that handles"!!! label ... ive seen loads of things that look ok but have this "tag" on the end. are they ok, is the manufacturer just protecting themselves or should i be avoiding them.. :unsure:
i have to say since starting this diet ( even though ive slipped up a few times) i havent had one "dark" or anxious thought and the only time ive had gerd was when i had a smoothie that contained strawberries
.rash on hands is just dry skin now- hopefully it will clear up soon. the rash on face isn,t any better though, - im looking into gluten free cosmetics now.

the other question is about all the different types of gluten free flours there are. all the recipes ive looked at seem to use abt 3 or four different mixes of flour. ive bought a general gluten free flour , rice flour and cornmeal. if i wanted a simple an easy ( hate cooking) flatbread,shortbread or scone mix could i get away just replacing normal flour for the gluten free flour :) .

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

It depends on what your sensitivity level is. It could be that they had a dedicated line for the product, but they also produced gluten containing stuff in another area.

I've got no idea with the backing. I'm no baker lol.

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

I have no problems with products from shared facilities. Most are, even if they don't say so (the disclosure is voluntary). Is your house 100% gluten-free? If not, then you live in a shared facility.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 jhol

jhol

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

thanks,
im off work this week so ive just had a major clear out and clean up of kitchen, so now i can say i am totally gluten and dairy free :) . that answer helps a lot( i mean that, im not being sarcastic lol) :D , i guess im just gonna have to try them and see how things go. i did think i wouldnt be able to, or shouldnt be eating them. ive discovered these moreish spicy chana dahl snacks made of chick peas - they are lovely yum! so i,ll try some baking 2morrow - if its anything like monday when i was making soup - i,ll be having another major clean up of the kitchen :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: