Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Enterolab Gene Test

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone done the genetic testing through Enterolab? My insurance company and I are going round and round and round about the genetic testing that my GI doc ordered. The Enterolab price isn't bad, so I am considering going that route if I can't get anything done with the insurance.

Ads by Google:

Has anyone done the genetic testing through Enterolab? My insurance company and I are going round and round and round about the genetic testing that my GI doc ordered. The Enterolab price isn't bad, so I am considering going that route if I can't get anything done with the insurance.

Before you get the testing, consider what, if any, difference it will make in you choices...

It won't make any difference in my choices. I will still be gluten free for the rest of my life. :)

I want to know b/c I have a child and no one in my family has ever been dx with celiac. I also want to know b/c then I can encourage them to be tested for celiac too (my GI thinks my mom should be tested since she has osteoporosis and had autoimmune hyperthyroidism). This is purely for informational purposes. Not to guide any treatment decisions.

It won't make any difference in my choices. I will still be gluten free for the rest of my life. :)

I want to know b/c I have a child and no one in my family has ever been dx with celiac. I also want to know b/c then I can encourage them to be tested for celiac too (my GI thinks my mom should be tested since she has osteoporosis and had autoimmune hyperthyroidism). This is purely for informational purposes. Not to guide any treatment decisions.

are you a biopsy proven celiac? If you are, and your genes comeback negative....wouldn't be helpful. In the usa, they generally only test for two, in europe they test for more than that.

We have had the gene testing for our daughter through Enterolab. It was helpful for us to know that she does not have the main celiac genes and fits with her negative celiac tests. Her official diagnosis is non celiac gluten intolerance.

The test is a quick swab of the inside of the cheek and not invasive. Enterolab does not provide subunit info. Our daughter is DQ7 and DQ9. Some research indicates that DQ7.5 may be a celiac gene but we did not get that level of information from Enterolab.

DQ9 is also now being linked to celiac: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22342873

And: http://intimm.oxford.../12/8/1157.full

Here's the plain English version: http://celiacdisease...l/g/Hla-Dq9.htm

To the OP, I believe Enterolab's gene test is not as in-depth (ie. sub groups like DQ 6.3) as some of the more costly ones, but it does test for the basic celiac genes. Fine has this theory that some other genes point to non-celiac gluten sensitivity, but most experts say there is no test for that yet.

are you a biopsy proven celiac? If you are, and your genes comeback negative....wouldn't be helpful. In the usa, they generally only test for two, in europe they test for more than that.

EGD and biopsy were done at 5/6 months mostly gluten free (meaning the occasional cheat and not paying any attention to CC). Biopsy showed interstitial lymphocytic infiltration which was nonspecific, but could indicate partially treated celiac. This combined with my gluten-free diet response is what led the GI to dx celiac. So I guess so, sort of??

GI doc has an appt to do a peer to peer review for the insurance. I doubt they are going to reverse their decision. Discussing with DH whether or not to do the testing through Enterolab.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Test Results
      Update: I am about at my wit's end. I won't be able to see my new doctor until July 17 to get a referral to a GI doctor, so I continue to eat gluten and the effects continue to worsen. Today my boss, whom I have been working with for 12 years, and I had a meeting where he said he's noticed a change in many things, such as speech, not articulating well, forgetfulness, and other things that are affecting my work product. I finally told him I know there is something wrong with me medically and I've been trying to get to the doctor to no avail. I recall those four weeks early in the year when I tried out gluten free and was beginning to feel much better- more present, more sharp, and then went back on gluten in preparation for the blood test.  I just don't think I can do this gluten thing any longer and am thinking of going cold-turkey gluten free.  I'm 54 years old, am beginning not to care about a diagnosis because I just want to feel better and be able to do what I need to do. Because of how I felt going off of gluten earlier in the year, and eating gluten free when I was on the McDougall plan years ago, and how I feel while doing this gluten challenge, I am pretty convinced that my issue is gluten.  Any words of encouragement would be welcome.  If you've done gluten free and never looked back, tell me about it. 
    • Gardasil
      "I got this vaccination in 2009 when I was 20 and it completely altered my life. Made my celiac disease so much worse, sleep 15-18 hours a day, SIBO, it has completely altered my life since getting this vaccination. My doctor has two twin girls about my age and they both have digestion problems after receiving gardasil Thank you I have a young daughter and have wondered this exact question posed by the poster and your response has given me great pause about this issue which may come up in years to come. I am sorry to hear this wreak havoc on your life, but simultaneously thank you for sharing this detail to help those of us that have likely been decades misdiagnosed celiacs now raising children. Thank you.
    • Gluten does WHAT to the brain?
      "Wondering what kind of life my brother could have had - if  he had celiac - constantly haunts me" My sympathies that is just tragic, as this story is.  I hope you are at peace knowing you are aware of your celiac and help so many lost, scared, and confused celiacs here. It can never bring back your brother but I hope it can give soften some of what you feel that was/is beyond your control. His suffering and your loss has made you a better advocate to yourself and in your work helping us. I don't like my body or my  brain on gluten either. I do fear that people overlook the toll inflammation takes on the brain. It likely may explain decades of mental illness that was brain based inflammation unknown until changes in technology advancement catch up. However consuming gluten to study how one enters psychosis may not be the best method. Do no harm.  
    • Gardasil
      I got this vaccination in 2009 when I was 20 and it completely altered my life. Made my celiac disease so much worse, sleep 15-18 hours a day, SIBO, it has completely altered my life since getting this vaccination. My doctor has two twin girls about my age and they both have digestion problems after receiving gardasil
    • Gardasil And Celiac
      I have this same issue! I got gardasil in 2009 and have never been the same since. Celiac disease, thyroid problems. I used to be healthy and active and since I got that shot I have never been the same.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    py21w23