6 replies to this topic

#1 ForTrent9

ForTrent9

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

ok.....i recently went gluten free, before that i was very gassy after a meal, and it was a horrible smell and . so far since gluten free it is better! today, i consumed tuna from the can pickle relish,mayo,salt & pepper. the horrible gas is back?????

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

I don't understand what you mean by hidden ingredients. The ingredient list will cover everything, although some vague terms are allowed. Wheat can not be hidden--it must be explicitly declared on the label as "wheat."

You say you are newly gluten-free. If you have celiac disease, then your digestive tract will have been damaged. Going gluten-free starts the process of healing. How long it takes varies from individual, and is affected by age and the degree of damage present. During the healing process you may continue to have digestive issues that have nothing to do with what you eat.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

If the relish and mayo were used before you went gluten-free, they could be contaminated. If you or someone in your home spread either on some bread or a bun and then dipped the knife back in, they now contain gluten. You need new jars and need to make sure no one else in the house uses them.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

If the relish and mayo were used before you went gluten-free, they could be contaminated. If you or someone in your home spread either on some bread or a bun and then dipped the knife back in, they now contain gluten. You need new jars and need to make sure no one else in the house uses them.

Yeah. Threaten to cut them.

Maybe putting a red mark on the lid would be nicer?

Hi Bart!!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Hi Prickly! When I've been glutened I would be more than happy to cut anyone who messed with my food. But I'm feeling pretty good right now so I would probably go with your idea of marking them. Or maybe keeping them in a locked box inside the fridge...and booby trapping it. Posted Image

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#6 ForTrent9

ForTrent9

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

I don't understand what you mean by hidden ingredients. The ingredient list will cover everything, although some vague terms are allowed. Wheat can not be hidden--it must be explicitly declared on the label as "wheat."

You say you are newly gluten-free. If you have celiac disease, then your digestive tract will have been damaged. Going gluten-free starts the process of healing. How long it takes varies from individual, and is affected by age and the degree of damage present. During the healing process you may continue to have digestive issues that have nothing to do with what you eat.

Thank you, i guess i meant, the tuna that I ate was prepared with vegetable broth...didn't realize this was in the can of tuna until after I consumed and noticed some symptoms.
I am new to the ingredient list, sorry!

#7 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Thank you, i guess i meant, the tuna that I ate was prepared with vegetable broth...didn't realize this was in the can of tuna until after I consumed and noticed some symptoms.
I am new to the ingredient list, sorry!

Learning to read and understand ingredient lists and labels is a big part of the learning curve. Read and ask questions here in the ingredients and labels forum.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: