29 replies to this topic

#1 123glldd

123glldd

Advanced Community Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Curious how you all handle staying in hotels. We're thinking of the fact that we dunno what kind of laundry detergents and cleaners the hotels are using...how does anyone feel safe from cross contamination in a hotel?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

I'm afraid when it comes to hotels, I'm more worried about how hard the beds are and how unyielding the pillows and how many of them, than I am about the detergents and the cleaners. I am happy if I can just lie in the bed :unsure:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,012 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

I've never had a problem in a hotel -- I love to travel -- except I do bring a ziplock bag for the remote -- hubby thinks it silly -- yet ewwww -- can't get past one of those blue light images I saw on a news program years ago.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:42 AM

I would only be concerned about any area I was preparing food. Then kitchen towels for wiping and my own nifty folding chopping board are my friends :)

Have a good trip, wherever you decide to go.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,447 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

No problems whatsoever for me in hotels. You will not be glutened by sheets and towels and cleaning agents.

Like Shroom, I have a hard time sleeping through the night on an uncomfortable bed but lately, I've had great luck. I can't wait to go to Florida in 14 days, 11 hours and 5 minutes....but who's counting. :D

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

I'd be more worried about bedbugs. There is an epidemic of them in this country. If you google "bedbug motel", there are a couple of websites that will tell you which motels have had bedbugs reported in them.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Bedbugs!!! Hahahaha :lol: That was my introduction by fire to the United States (or one of them) on the cross-country journey from New Joisey to California. Salt Lake City, 1:00 a.m., looking for a motel. Somehow missed motel row. Ended up at a fleabag (or so we thought). Ended up being chewed out of bed :wacko: by 3:00 a.m by bedbugs. And those bedbugs hadn't had fresh blood in a while!!! Hit the road again..... :rolleyes:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:57 AM

I guess I think, and hope the hotel does a really good job of cleaning and rinsing. I haven't had a problem, that I know of from the detergents. That is even though walking down the detergent isle at the store is not a good experience for me.

I do bring my own home made soap and shampoo. I bring my own cooking equipment. I always try to get a kitchen. I always try to wipe my working area down before I start. I make sure not to touch my food to any surface.

I cook in my room. None of the hotels which I have stayed in ever had a written rule against it. I try to be very careful not to burn the place down, or leave much evidence.

One hotel once did take issue when they found my crock pot cooking in my room. They asked me to bring it to the lobby for the day. So, I did. I would be leary of cross contamination in such a case. Someone might open the lid.

I have a list of things to bring along. I print out this list each time. I can later add anything I had forgotten, so the next trip I am more prepared. When I am packing I keep looking around the kitchen for things I can't do without on the trip.

I hope you will have a relaxing, healing time.

Diana

#9 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Thanks for your replies...it still worries me because me and my husband..before diagnosis stayed at a hotel and sometimes i found i wound up with a tummy ache middle of the night. Bu not always. was wondering if it was gluten related.

#10 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Breakfast can be pretty easy too. Most hotels offer a breakfast bar and you can always find Yoplait Yogurt and fresh fruit. I, personally have never had a problem with the scrambled eggs, bacon and hashbrowns, or juices. Or you could bring your own baggie of cereal of your choice.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#11 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

These tummy aches weren't related to food gluten that's why i was wondering if something i was inhaling something in the hotel room or cross contaminated sheets from detergent?

#12 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

Shouldn't be, but you could always bring your own pillowcase in case you chew on the pillows while you sleep. :rolleyes:
My SIL brings her own pillow, because she likes it best. :)
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#13 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

What about sheets and it being on ur hands?

#14 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

What about sheets and it being on ur hands?

Gluten is not a bacteria or a fungus or other creepy things. No need to worrry Wendy.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#15 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Lisa- if there is gluten from laundry detergent....just as people worry about at home...and they touch it with their hands and put their hands to their mouth...even if accidentally during the night...could they not be glutened? I have no idea why it would have to be bacteria or fungus etc in your opinion....we're told to not use gluteny products all the time. I just think this is a valid worry. I'm not overly worried but curious what people think and why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: