Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Healing - Running Out Of Patience.

16 posts in this topic

I started back on my gluten free diet after being diagnosed for good in December. I have had one really bad slip up a few weeks ago. I am seeing undigested food and mucus. Is there any way to speed up the healing process? I am not a very patient person. I guess I thought that once I went on the diet, my symptoms would all clear up quickly like antibiotics to an infection kind of thing.

I am soy and dairy free..very limited corn.

Thanks - MO

Ads by Google:

Everyone is different.

Probiotics and digestive enzymes can help -- sometimes removing other foods.

I sure wish we could all plant a patience tree -- I could have used it's fruit these past years....time finally taught me patience -- hoping you don't have to wait long as long as I did for healing to begin.

Hang in there :)

Everyone is different.

I sure wish we could all plant a patience tree -- I could have used it's fruit these past years....

We would probably be intolerant to it! :)

Thanks Lisa and haha about the tree. :)

Is it normal to have good days then have a bad one no matter if you are sure you are gluten free? Yesterday was a good day, I thought wow...i'm feeling better. Today I have slid backward. All I had yesterday was chicken carrots rice and applesauce and a banana. All gluten free but I feel like crapola again.

Mo-

Yep .... the bad days that follow the good ones are the toughest for me too - esp when u can't figure out what got u.

Hang in there!

Karen-

:D

Hey Mo

I have been gluten-free since September and am definitely struggling. I have more good days than bad now, but find the bad days hard too. I seem to be working out other food intolerances. I had a great month on whole foods, but doing reintroductions are tough. I think I just lost dairy for a while.

I am hanging on to the good days, and trying to get through the bad.

In my heart I know things are improving, and that there was no way I could go on as I was.

And I met all these guys :)

I think the thing that keeps us fighting is the thing that gets us frustrated.

Hang in there, celebrate the good days

Oh yeah, bad days usually come right after telling the whole world I had a few good days!! I feel you.

I do Pepto, Immodium, probiotics (now that I can finally handle them) and cut back on carbs, which all seem to help.

Hang on, I hope you feel better soon.

I notice that raw veggies really bother me. I especially can't handle raw carrots.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help. I don't think that carrots are agreeing with me right now for some reason. I am also finding other foods that I can not tolerate right now. Healing from celiac is going to be a long process and at least I am on the right path now!

Thanks

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble MO. My wife is still having lots of problems as well. Today she saw a nurse practitioner that she really likes, and got a written perscription to work from home for the next four weeks. We're hoping this is the start of something good, attempts to work while healing have not been going well.

Mo. You need to settle in with your diagnosis and make it your new life. Double check all sources of cross contamination in your home. Double dipping jars, butters, etc. Check medications and any pet food. Throw out scratched cookware, wooden spoons and scratched plastic. Vacuum out your kitchen drawers and cupboards. If you have a pantry with shared food, clean it out and your stuff goes on top. New toaster and clean out microwave.

Then just eat naturally. If something disagrees with you? Write it down. See if a pattern develops. Take a good Probiotic and a digestive enzyme during eating. I take papyra enzymes. And relax. Take healthy snacks with out. Don't eat out for awhile.

Just some advice. This is a change in life, not just food

Good luck.

Colleen

A great food checker is a book called "Gluten-Free Grocery Shopping Guide". I learned about it while I was at Mayo. Its like a bible for most items that you will find in a store that we can have. If its not listed in the book, you probably should not purchase it.

I also keep an app on my iPhone called "Shopwell" and it allows me to quickly scan a barcode with my phone and it will tell me if there is gluten in it. Its good in a pinch but I still recommend cross referencing the items ingredient contents when one has more time.

Hang in there! I've had a few accidental "glutenings" and it royally ticked me off because I work so hard to keep it out of my diet that when I slip it makes it feel like all my energy has been wasted on that one occurence. Keep on!

I started back on my gluten free diet after being diagnosed for good in December. I have had one really bad slip up a few weeks ago. I am seeing undigested food and mucus. Is there any way to speed up the healing process? I am not a very patient person. I guess I thought that once I went on the diet, my symptoms would all clear up quickly like antibiotics to an infection kind of thing.

I am soy and dairy free..very limited corn.

Thanks - MO

The intestinal reaction can be self-sustaining for up to two weeks. So, damage is still being done up to two weeks after you've gotten glutened. Then you need time to recover. I know it's hard to be patient, but that's really all you can do.

Hi every1 I'm new here along with being told on new years eve that I have Celiac

I have gone Gluten free from that day on about 7weeks now the brain fog has

inproved, having a lot move good days but still a few bad ones.

I had other problems for about 2 years before I was told to go gluten free I'm

pretty shore it was a lot longer than that with other things going wrong with my

health, (Q) How long may it take for me to fell a lot better, months ? or years ?

Welcome Peter!

I'd say hope for months and prepare for it to take longer. Many people feel much better within six months of diagnosis and removing gluten.

Make suure you read the "Newbie 101" thread and let us know if you have any questions.

Transition can be very tough, but the rewards are great. Hang iin there :)

Thanks everyone.

Tarnal, I had no idea about the damage still going on. It explains a lot b/c I usually don't start feeling better until about 2 weeks.

Thanks for the info on the guide books. I'll have to try those.

Notkuroda, I hope that your wife starts feeling better very soon! Hopefully being at home will help.

Colleen, Thanks for the tips and for the idea about writing things down. Popcorn is on my list now.