6 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

Does anyone else live at over 7,000 feet in altitude? I am unable to make Betty Crocker cookies or brownies due to this. The cookies are like hard hockey pucks and the brownies rise and fall quickly as soon as them come out of the oven. When they cool, they are hard like tar that has melted in the sun and hardened. I followed the high altitude directions but it is only for up to 5,000 feet.

I have no problems with the cake, the altitude directions are the same except for the temp and baking time.

Does anyone have any idea of what I could do to make these mixes work?

Thanks - MO

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

I would email or call them and ask.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

I'm close to 7k but i've only ever made the cake :( So i'm somewhat interested as well.

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

I noticed the cookie mix is very sensitive to the temperature of the butter. It must be solid and the batter firm. Refrigerate it if it isn't.

I turn my oven up apx. 10-25 degrees making those cookies. I think it's the altitude that makes me cook my stuff at higher temps, not lower. Ive tested my oven temp and it claims its spot on. I've only cooked gluten-free in this oven ( and its gas) and I've struggled the whole time. It took increasing the temp on most things....otherwise it just bakes forever and never DOES anything.

And I like crunchy chocolate chip cookies...the mix is crunchy to me not fluffy.

I'm at 2700 ft?? We're right on the line of high altitude baking.

I don't think I've tried the brownies. I tried the cake mix and it came out terrible.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Thanks Prickly. I just bought a box of the cookies. I am going to try your tips. The cake mix makes pretty good banana bread.

Shadow, I don't think that we can use the brownie mix this high in our altitudes but the other mixes will work just fine.

#6 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

I made the brownies at sea level and they also came out like the black tar thing. The next time I undercooked them a bit and although they still fell flat as a pancake they sure were good!

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#7 freeatlast

freeatlast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:18 AM

I'm not at a high altitude, but love her brownies. Hope you can get them to work.

Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: