#1 wildeep

wildeep

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Hi, very new here.

I am interested in having my 6-year-old daughter blood-tested. She's got enough symptoms that it is just time to do it. We saw our family practice doc recently, and he didn't seem to want to do the blood test, but just told me to eliminate wheat/gluten and see if it helps. So, we took her off of wheat.

After doing more reasearch, I feel strongly that I want to just KNOW. She's been off gluten for 2 weeks, with the exception of two "accidental exposures".

I know that you have to be on gluten for the test to be accurate. Has she been off of it long enough to cause problems with the blood test? If we put her back on for the test, how long would we need to wait before doing the test?

Thanks for your help.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Welcome to the board!

Two weeks off is not a mountain to climb. If she has noticeable symptoms, it is likely that there will not be complete healing in two weeks. That said, I would put her back on gluten for at least two to three weeks to undo any healing that may have taken place.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 wildeep

wildeep

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

Thank you for the response! I will call the doctor today and get the ball rolling...

#4 wildeep

wildeep

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

Thank you for the response! I will call the doctor today and get the ball rolling...

Well she is back on gluten for 4 weeks before the blood test.  We are seeing symptoms return. :(  It is hard to feed your child something that you are pretty sure is making them sick.

Thanks again for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: